SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:24 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
New Product
BluBeam antenna system from Video Aerial Systems

Today I officially launch the BluBeam antenna line of products available from Video Aerial Systems. The BluBeams are sold as a direct fit circularly polarized replacement for your stock whip antennas.

If you haven't tried circular polarization yet, you need to try it. Once you go circular, you will never go back to linear polarization. Circular polarization is a must for 5.8GHz.

Benefits:

Extended range
Exceptional video clarity
No more video drop outs
Reduction in multipath interference
No weakening of your signal in a turn
Better video clarity when flying behind trees and around objects

Long Range upgrade

Upgrade to a long range system by using a 7.5dbic helical on your RX. This will effectively double your range or more.
Upgrade to a very long range system by using a CP Dual Quad (coming soon) or a 9.5 dbic helical to your RX. This effectively triples your range or more.

Do not fly a long range BluBeam antenna system without a long range radio (LRS) or you are likely to fly out of your radio range!! Trust me, I've done this many times now...

Customer support forum: http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdispla...Aerial-Systems

Testimonials
(all of these were homebrews, not built by me, but through my tutorials):

2km on only 10mW: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=38

Coyote 64 will never go back to linear antennas (post 17): http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ull=1#post4524

Markus does 6km on 200mW (and is sold hook line and sinker): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420894

DerekS tried going back to linear and immediately went back to a circular system (post 22): http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....=5181#post5181

Performance videos:

Can your Omnis go 1.6 miles?

Mission at Tobacco Mountain - BluBeam FPV (3 min 28 sec)

IBCrazy's FPV "New system" - Cloverleaf demo (4 min 42 sec)

IBCrazy's "New System" - Omni directional antennas (4 min 30 sec)

Where to buy these:
- You can buy these directly from me here: Video Aerial Systems
- ReadymadeRC will have some in stock soon
- Or you can have Markus123456 build you a set (I am not affiliated at all with him, but his work is incredible)
- Alternately, build your own. The tutorials are in my blog!

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Last edited by IBCrazy; Apr 11, 2011 at 06:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:30 PM
My tapeworm tells me what todo
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2007
261 Posts
Why no 910?
tconners is offline Find More Posts by tconners
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:40 PM
Fly Big, Low and Slow....
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
+1000
Alpina540 is offline Find More Posts by Alpina540
Old Apr 09, 2011, 04:50 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconners View Post
Why no 910?
I'm sold out, that's why... I didn't anticipate 910 being this popular. It might be a while before they are back in stock as I need to get the parts which take a week or two. I can make two bottom feed units with a short extension. This is actually a better option than the BluBeams as it gives a little separation. Email or PM me if you are interested. I will give you the same price as the BluBeams.

The other issue with 900 MHz is the antennas are a bit large. They are 6" in diameter.

1280MHz is about half the size of a softball (4" in diameter and 2" tall)
2.4GHz is about the size of a golf ball.
5.8GHz is about as large as a big marble

-Alex
Old Apr 09, 2011, 04:56 PM
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2011
430 Posts
Alex, are you still having issues with these on the 1.2 LM vrx?
PnoT is offline Find More Posts by PnoT
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:24 PM
Suspended Account
AK
Joined Dec 2010
339 Posts
Alex-
The website looks great...kudos!
Katabatic is offline Find More Posts by Katabatic
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:12 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnoT View Post
Alex, are you still having issues with these on the 1.2 LM vrx?
Sadly, I am. OMM thinks it's an issue that the antenna is causing the video sync to saturate. I am investigating this. All I know is that it is a problem with the VRX. Every other RX unit works except early versions of the Airwave 5.8GHz RX module.

On the bright side, the Junk 1.2 GHz RX's do incredibly well with these. It puts them on par with the Lawmate's! The problem with the cheap digital ones is that their filtration was poor, but their sensitivity is good. With CP, the filtration issue is significantly reduced.

-Alex
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:13 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katabatic View Post
Alex-
The website looks great...kudos!
It's Volto's work, really. I just took the pictures and added some information.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:21 PM
Fer
Travelling far and wide
Nederland
Joined Jul 2009
106 Posts
+1 on the website Alex!!!
Fer is offline Find More Posts by Fer
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:53 PM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
702 Posts
I'm very impressed with your knowledge and hard work. Great antenna overview on your website answering just the questions FPVers need to know!

How about giving size measurements with each antenna on your website? It would help to figure out which one to get for a particular airplane / ground station.
Also, the helix antennas are named by dbi, but in other places suitable ones are referred to by number of turns.
FpvKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FpvKiwi
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:36 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I've got a 2.4GHz BluBeam set and the 9.5dbi helix in my cart. Some questions:

Are the the BluBeams RHCP like the helix?

What are the dimensions for the helix? Weight? Length?

Do you test the SWR for every antenna you build?

kendall

EDIT: Nevermind about the helix dimensions. I found your tutorial thread for them.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:23 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2010
88 Posts
IBCrazy: What is the difference between the Blubeams and a cloverleaf antenna? Also, just as a suggestion, it may be worth having an option of a 90degree SMA connector instead of straight through, as a lot of people would have their VTX sitting flat on a wing etc, and with a 90deg connector you could have the antenna also sitting flat on the wing.
stergiopilus is offline Find More Posts by stergiopilus
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:31 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
I've got a 2.4GHz BluBeam set and the 9.5dbi helix in my cart. Some questions:

Are the the BluBeams RHCP like the helix?

What are the dimensions for the helix? Weight? Length?

Do you test the SWR for every antenna you build?

kendall

EDIT: Nevermind about the helix dimensions. I found your tutorial thread for them.
All antennas are RHCP unless specifically requested that they be otherwise. All of my antennas are compatible with each other.

2.4GHz helical is fairly small. Only about 6" long or so.

I test every antenna I build for SWR. This is the way I ensure quality. If it doesn't hit spec, I don't sell it. That simple.

-Alex
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:35 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stergiopilus View Post
IBCrazy: What is the difference between the Blubeams and a cloverleaf antenna? Also, just as a suggestion, it may be worth having an option of a 90degree SMA connector instead of straight through, as a lot of people would have their VTX sitting flat on a wing etc, and with a 90deg connector you could have the antenna also sitting flat on the wing.
The BluBeams are a direct fit replacement set to replace your rubber ducky antennas.

The skew-planar wheel and cloverleaf antennas have an extension cable on them and allow them to be moved away from the VTX and other objects.

Electrically, they are identical. The only difference is the construction.

The 90 degree connector will NOT be an option for BluBeams. That will put the TX case right in the path of the radiated pattern, thus harming the signal. I can make you a bottom feed SPW or CL with a 90 degree feed and a short 2" run of stiff coaxial cable if you like. That is how I am making the bottom feed antennas.

-Alex
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:42 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Electrically, they are identical. The only difference is the construction.

The 90 degree connector will NOT be an option for BluBeams. That will put the TX case right in the path of the radiated pattern, thus harming the signal. I can make you a bottom feed SPW or CL with a 90 degree feed and a short 2" run of stiff coaxial cable if you like. That is how I am making the bottom feed antennas.

-Alex
Thanks for the reply. I bought 2x Cloverleafs already from ReadymadeRC which will be put to use in the next couple of weeks when I get the Zephyr going. As for the 90 deg connector thing, thats fair enough, I didn't think of that. I'm happy with the cloverleaf design and the short wire going to it, will mount well on my wing. Thanks again for putting in all the time and effort to develop these amazing antennas!
stergiopilus is offline Find More Posts by stergiopilus