HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:36 AM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
Discussion
55" extra 260 build question

hi people

hopefully going to start building my extra 260 this weekend, its the 55" from overlander! my first plane build apart from the Wot 4!

anything i should do alone the way? or just build it, its a ARF kit so just wings, rear stab/elevator and rudder. and RC gear!

what glue should i use for the hinges on all the moving parts?

its the overlander model, think its the same as the cermark 1.
jjh23 is offline Find More Posts by jjh23
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:06 PM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
also, the cables that run back to the rudder through the fuselarge from the servo, do they cross over each other i.e left side of servo horn the right side of the rudder??
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:23 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
I haven't really heard anything about these specifically but usually you use thin CA on the hinges (depending on hinge type) and then make sure you scrap off any slop after it dries to make sure he hinge does not bind.

Also make sure that your stab is mounted perfectly flat relative to the wing tube (prop it up with cardboard if required) and make sure it is square. same distance from both ends of the stab to the nose. Then glue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh23 View Post
hi people

hopefully going to start building my extra 260 this weekend, its the 55" from overlander! my first plane build apart from the Wot 4!

anything i should do alone the way? or just build it, its a ARF kit so just wings, rear stab/elevator and rudder. and RC gear!

what glue should i use for the hinges on all the moving parts?

its the overlander model, think its the same as the cermark 1.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:25 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Quote:
also, the cables that run back to the rudder through the fuselarge from the servo, do they cross over each other i.e left side of servo horn the right side of the rudder??
yes, they cross over each other. You can mount one on the top of the servo arm and the other on the bottom of the other servo arm if you anal and don't want the wires to rub each other. for this size plane that shouldn't matter though.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:29 PM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
ideal, thanks!

i just watched the videos on the 57" 330 build! quite helpfull

dosent seem like you have to put much glue on the hinges, but obviously its enough to just dub some CA on when everything is in place!!
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
so many questions ha ha

when mounting the servo's should i use the rubber grommets, i dont use the on my electric heli's!!
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:34 PM
Denver Colorado
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
Quote:
so many questions ha ha

when mounting the servo's should i use the rubber grommets, i dont use the on my electric heli's!!
yes and use the brass inserts, making sure that the flat side is down.
grubby is offline Find More Posts by grubby
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
thanks guy's

much apprieciated, more to follow
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:42 PM
United Kingdom, Elgin
Joined Jun 2011
4 Posts
hi, new to this forum, i have just purchased an yak overlander 54. wanting to convert it to ic though, aparantly someone who purchased one has done it, as it sais so on the overlander reveiw page for this plane, any helpfull hints or tips?
drumbold11 is offline Find More Posts by drumbold11
Old Jun 07, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
mine went together fine, i went with the recommended motor, tornado thumper V2 4240, 80amp hobbywing pro esc, 14x7 APCe prop 4c 2700mah li-po
i had to put some weight in the nose to get it to ballance.
i havent flown it yet as its always windy at the moment

not really any help for nitro as i dont fly nitro, might be worth posting in the nitro section.

good luck though
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:03 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,508 Posts
Quote:
....i went with the recommended motor, tornado thumper V2 4240........
The names they come up with for motors are just getting silly. If this is the V2, there must have been a version 1 of the Tornado Thumper. It sounds like someone tried to do a chinglish translation of the motor and we ended up with Tornado Thumper.
Cabledawg1 is online now Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:31 PM
United Kingdom, Elgin
Joined Jun 2011
4 Posts
flown yet?

have you flown it yet? if so, how did you get on?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
well uhh, sort of ha ha

it flew for about 3 minutes flew good and very fast UNTILL i done a few rolls, flat out, the canopy came off and i had no controll
crashed
elevator servo sheared
rudder servo and 1 aileron servo sheared
motor mount all pushed right back nearly to the wings
so in the bin it went!
i dont know weather the canopy hitting the moving surfaces sheared the servos caused no control or weather the lack of canopy and high speed caused lack of control and the servos sheared on meeting the ground
either way it had a short flight time.
im sticking to my wot 4 ha ha

how did the conversion go too?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:54 AM
United Kingdom, Elgin
Joined Jun 2011
4 Posts
conversion

still in the process of conversion, going well though. how did the motor, mount, esc and bat, come out of the crash. that is weird that the canopy came off. the magnets seem so strong? do you think the battery could of fallen out and nocked the canopy off? resulting in loss of control? and did you use the standard control horns supplied?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:59 AM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
hi motor seemed ok, another guy at the club has got it to try in his plane!
ive put the esc on a trex600 im building but im not sure weather its damaged, looks ok and the throttle was off then it hit the floor so hoping its ok.
yeah it was because the magnets not strong enough, the li-po was still strapped the the wood when i picked it all up, when i spoke to the guy at the club who also flies these planes he showed me that he puts a rod through the little holes at the back of the canopy to stop it coming off.
yes i used all the standard bits that came with the kit.