HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Viper82, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:23 AM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Build Log
My private RC airstrip =)

Hey guys,
Heres a few pics of my airstrip. Its far from finished and I will appreciate any suggestions and advice.

It will remain dirt, only because I can't afford to pave it

I'll continue to update this thread
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Last edited by Viper82; Apr 14, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:54 PM
Tip stallin around town..
USA, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Nov 2010
507 Posts
That's awesome man..if your not gonna pave you got to make sure you pack in down real good..do you have access to any kind of roller?. Or you could drive up and down with your truck a bunch of times and then finish with a handroller..I think your worst problem will be keeping the grass and weeds from growing..in any case that's a sweet lookin runway..
brad copter is offline Find More Posts by brad copter
Old Apr 09, 2011, 01:15 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Its packed fairly well... I used a big Allis Chalmers diesel tractor.
Mostly clay type soil, when I walk on it its a little soft feeling still tho.
No access to a steam roller, might could get my hands on a little jack hammer type packer. I'll probably just run over a few more times with the tractor and then work it by hand.

To keep the weeds and grass out I'll spray it with roundup

Thanks man, I hope it will serve its purpose... It seemed small yesterday trying to land the BN2 on it (b4 RX failure)... I may need to make it a little bigger.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 01:30 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
757 Posts
I agree, it looks awesome. I live on a mountain block of land, no where at all to put in a runway like that. I guess I could build a helipad. haha.

Enjoy!
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Apr 09, 2011, 01:45 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Thanks man
Theres some good ideas for helipads on here... using elevated platforms and stuff like strong screens to allow air to flow thru and prevent much of the rotor wash.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 01:54 PM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Nice Dave! I own 80 acres here in VT...30 of open rolling meadow and 50 of side hill woodlot. One of these days I'm gonna do that. Got a real nice pond building site too. My worse problem (other than this stupid economy and not having the do-ray-me to build my house, my pond and my RC strip ), will be the neighbors cows, if you get my drift. Those things are just a buncha' bovine hooligans.

LaneVT
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:35 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
A simple hand roller can be picked up at a southern states or tractor supply warehouse for $1-200. Works wonders on any field. I am envious.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:40 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
A simple hand roller can be picked up at a southern states or tractor supply warehouse for $1-200. Works wonders on any field. I am envious.
They would work good I'm sure, but I don't think I can afford that right now either...

Its packed hard than it looks... although not packed as much as I'd like. the tractor tires really didn't press down into it... I can walk on it and no feet print. Although some areas are a little softer. its on top of a hill so I had to cut down the middle a little more, down to more solid ground.

I'd like to plant a very low growing grass... something like on a green @ a golf course. But then I couldn't roundup it
Old Apr 09, 2011, 04:07 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,882 Posts
it's ok if its a little soft. thats better than rock solid. as for grass/ weeds, use old oil/gas/ grease on spots of grass/weeds that are hard to get rid of.
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Apr 09, 2011, 04:40 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostr View Post
it's ok if its a little soft. thats better than rock solid. as for grass/ weeds, use old oil/gas/ grease on spots of grass/weeds that are hard to get rid of.
Hey thanks, thats a good idea. Roundup is expensive and I've got plenty of burnt motor oil in buckets... just don't call the epa
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:14 PM
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,882 Posts
Yea, Ive put oil on weed/grass spots here in arizona, and NOTHING grows where i put it.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:26 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Cheap "red neck" solution for a roller, see if you can get ahold of a used, undented 55 gallon steel drum with a lid and the strap that holds it on.

Just fill it with as much water as you can and still be able to push it (when it's on it's side, obviously). Then just roll it up and down your runway a few times to pack it down. That clay can make for a nice hard, smooth surface.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:16 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Cheap "red neck" solution for a roller, see if you can get ahold of a used, undented 55 gallon steel drum with a lid and the strap that holds it on.

Just fill it with as much water as you can and still be able to push it (when it's on it's side, obviously). Then just roll it up and down your runway a few times to pack it down. That clay can make for a nice hard, smooth surface.
Cheap redneck solution is my middle name lmao
Only problem is its probably 200ft from water supply, I might could fill it and carry it up there via tractor, but unloading it would be a . Wish I had a skidsteer.

I may just rent a packer, like you use before you pour concrete. Would take all day tho. Then again I may just take the truck up there are drive over it a bunch...

I've also gotta do some work around the airstrip, bushhog some, level the ground some, its got alot of ruts and small pine trees. Need to fix that incase I miss the runway
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:32 PM
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,882 Posts
fill it with dirt or rocks.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:39 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,692 Posts
From looking at the pictures, what I would do would be to classify down (screen) some of that clay dirt to have nothing in it bigger than sand. Spread that over the divots left by rocks and the like. Then cover with a thin layer of sand and IF you can get it cheap, ground and cleaned slag. Mix the sand and slag 40 / 60, spread even, tamp, and water. A bit of work but it will end up hard and smooth. Just filling and smoothing out with clean clay dirt will do wonders.
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61