Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Yes, 4k7 (measured 4.88 kohm)

Here are the measurements (while connected to the drone):

arduino without RX - 13.7mA
arduino + RX (TX off) - 33.7mA
arduiono + RX (TX on) - 41.3mA

No.
The 41.3mA seem normal, do you fly physically the same battery when you compare with/without mod?
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Candu1, maybe you can rig the iTouch to the side so it gets away from the TX antenna. It works here if I put the DX7 right next to the iPhone...
Yes, that's on my to-do list for rainy weekends... I also ordered this iTouch "mount"... http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trendy-...ch-black-30346 Hopefully it should arrive by the Spring.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
The 41.3mA seem normal, do you fly physically the same battery when you compare with/without mod?
I used to have the yaw right problem a while back and concluded it was battery related. What I've found is that if the battery is old, the on-load voltage (when the motors are on) can drop significantly.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
What I did was flying on one battery, then when it became hard to control I landed, unplugged Arduino, rebooted the drone and continued on the same battery with iDev with no problem.

Maybe the TX sends some strange values? Is there an easy way to log what comes from TX/RX to arduino and the what is being sent from arduino to drone to a file somewhere? Maybe analysis of that would give us a clue?

I'll try to do some more detailed tests with different batteries and will share the result.
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
What I did was flying on one battery, then when it became hard to control I landed, unplugged Arduino, rebooted the drone and continued on the same battery with iDev with no problem.

Maybe the TX sends some strange values? Is there an easy way to log what comes from TX/RX to arduino and the what is being sent from arduino to drone to a file somewhere? Maybe analysis of that would give us a clue?

I'll try to do some more detailed tests with different batteries and will share the result.
There is always a way... 'at2so', the companion program on the drone, will send you a copy of any command it sends to the drone if you ask it. You can ask it by creating a datagram socket and sending a binary little endian 1 (4 bytes) to address 192.168.1.1 port 11000, 'atso' will remember the address it came from and will send a live copy of the commands to that socket.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:

When it fails, is an iDev conected?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:53 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
'at2so', the companion program on the drone, will send you a copy of any command it sends to the drone if you ask it. You can ask it by creating a datagram socket and sending a binary little endian 1 (4 bytes) to address 192.168.1.1 port 11000, 'atso' will remember the address it came from and will send a live copy of the commands to that socket.
Thanks - will give it a try.

Quote:
When it fails, is an iDev conected?
Last time I've tried no, but earlier I think I observed similar behavior also with iDev connected. Will do some more systematic tests tomorrow.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts
Quote:

Same thing here. It also start to have Yoyo effect (Ultrasonic inconsistent reading).
It happens if I have the iphone connected or not.
Will it be better if we connected separate power source to the Arduino? will 2s 138 Mah be sufficient? and what about the resistance, is it still needed.
elmohtarm is offline Find More Posts by elmohtarm
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:49 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmohtarm View Post
Same thing here. It also start to have Yoyo effect (Ultrasonic inconsistent reading).
It happens if I have the iphone connected or not.
Will it be better if we connected separate power source to the Arduino? will 2s 138 Mah be sufficient? and what about the resistance, is it still needed.
You still would need the resistor, the Arduino's TX is at 5V and the drone's Rx input pulls it to 3.3V.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Will do some more systematic tests tomorrow.
Tried to do some tests today, but unfortunately I did the wiring wrong while doing measurements and fried the arduino (not a good idea to have both + and - cable in the same color). Hopefully only the capacitor exploded, so I'll try to fix that (or use another arduino - luckily I have a spare spare)

In the meantime I did some hovering tests with iDev and the original (fully charged) drone battery. It starts to have some problem with yaw left at about 25% (not as big as with the mod at 40% though). The yaw becomes uncontrollable only around and below 20%.

I've also noticed that one of the motors (front left) gets hotter than the others and the bushings seem to be more loose than the others. This may be a coincidence, but I've ordered ball bearings some time ago, so hopefully they will arrive soon and I will be able to replace the bushings (and rule that problem out).

I'll do some more tests once the arduino gets fixed and share the result.

P.S. Miru, logging via the socket works fine, thanks (managed to check that while arduino was still alive).
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
The easiest way to tell is to run the mod in SETUP mode and see what happens when you turn off your TX. If any channel goes red you are good to go.
Hello everybody,

Miru, I've tested your proposition and no channel is going red, so the Drone will continue flying when Tx is off... and of course this is what happens

The strange thing is : my plane's ESC detects "lost signal" on the same Rx... how they do that ?

Sev

PS: I've updated to Miru 0.12 for this test
unisev is offline Find More Posts by unisev
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unisev View Post
Hello everybody,

Miru, I've tested your proposition and no channel is going red, so the Drone will continue flying when Tx is off... and of course this is what happens

The strange thing is : my plane's ESC detects "lost signal" on the same Rx... how they do that ?

Sev

PS: I've updated to Miru 0.12 for this test
That means you have to dig into your TX/RX manuals and figure out what their 'failsafe' approach is. Your ESC must be triggering the 'failsave' when the pulse is <= 1.1ms.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
My poor chinese material are not so much documented oscilloscope will be my friend.

Miru Mod is not detecting this signal<=1.1ms ?

Sev
unisev is offline Find More Posts by unisev
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:35 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unisev View Post
My poor chinese material are not so much documented oscilloscope will be my friend.

Miru Mod is not detecting this signal<=1.1ms ?

Sev
Mirumod accepts pulses between 0.95ms and 2.05ms.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Failsafe, Stability, Right YAW

I ran across this interesting video posted by JG-rn from the other ardrone forum http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/...p=17238#p17238. This one video of an out-of-control-range ardrone shows what can happen when failsafe feature fails; stability of ardone control algorithm; and YAW-right characteristic of the ardrone when its battery gets weak. All these were subject of discussions at one time or another in this thread.

This fly away ardrone has a happy ending...

Go Pro and Parrot AR.Drone fly away very high (8 min 41 sec)