HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Yes, 4k7 (measured 4.88 kohm)



Here are the measurements (while connected to the drone):

arduino without RX - 13.7mA
arduino + RX (TX off) - 33.7mA
arduiono + RX (TX on) - 41.3mA



No.
The 41.3mA seem normal, do you fly physically the same battery when you compare with/without mod?
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Candu1, maybe you can rig the iTouch to the side so it gets away from the TX antenna. It works here if I put the DX7 right next to the iPhone...
Yes, that's on my to-do list for rainy weekends... I also ordered this iTouch "mount"... http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trendy-...ch-black-30346 Hopefully it should arrive by the Spring.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
The 41.3mA seem normal, do you fly physically the same battery when you compare with/without mod?
I used to have the yaw right problem a while back and concluded it was battery related. What I've found is that if the battery is old, the on-load voltage (when the motors are on) can drop significantly.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
Registered User
pawelsky's Avatar
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
The 41.3mA seem normal, do you fly physically the same battery when you compare with/without mod?
What I did was flying on one battery, then when it became hard to control I landed, unplugged Arduino, rebooted the drone and continued on the same battery with iDev with no problem.

Maybe the TX sends some strange values? Is there an easy way to log what comes from TX/RX to arduino and the what is being sent from arduino to drone to a file somewhere? Maybe analysis of that would give us a clue?

I'll try to do some more detailed tests with different batteries and will share the result.
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
What I did was flying on one battery, then when it became hard to control I landed, unplugged Arduino, rebooted the drone and continued on the same battery with iDev with no problem.

Maybe the TX sends some strange values? Is there an easy way to log what comes from TX/RX to arduino and the what is being sent from arduino to drone to a file somewhere? Maybe analysis of that would give us a clue?

I'll try to do some more detailed tests with different batteries and will share the result.
There is always a way... 'at2so', the companion program on the drone, will send you a copy of any command it sends to the drone if you ask it. You can ask it by creating a datagram socket and sending a binary little endian 1 (4 bytes) to address 192.168.1.1 port 11000, 'atso' will remember the address it came from and will send a live copy of the commands to that socket.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
What I did was flying on one battery, then when it became hard to control I landed, unplugged Arduino, rebooted the drone and continued on the same battery with iDev with no problem.

Maybe the TX sends some strange values? Is there an easy way to log what comes from TX/RX to arduino and the what is being sent from arduino to drone to a file somewhere? Maybe analysis of that would give us a clue?

I'll try to do some more detailed tests with different batteries and will share the result.
When it fails, is an iDev conected?
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:53 PM
Registered User
pawelsky's Avatar
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
'at2so', the companion program on the drone, will send you a copy of any command it sends to the drone if you ask it. You can ask it by creating a datagram socket and sending a binary little endian 1 (4 bytes) to address 192.168.1.1 port 11000, 'atso' will remember the address it came from and will send a live copy of the commands to that socket.
Thanks - will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
When it fails, is an iDev conected?
Last time I've tried no, but earlier I think I observed similar behavior also with iDev connected. Will do some more systematic tests tomorrow.
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
What I did was flying on one battery, then when it became hard to control I landed, unplugged Arduino, rebooted the drone and continued on the same battery with iDev with no problem.

Maybe the TX sends some strange values? Is there an easy way to log what comes from TX/RX to arduino and the what is being sent from arduino to drone to a file somewhere? Maybe analysis of that would give us a clue?

I'll try to do some more detailed tests with different batteries and will share the result.
Same thing here. It also start to have Yoyo effect (Ultrasonic inconsistent reading).
It happens if I have the iphone connected or not.
Will it be better if we connected separate power source to the Arduino? will 2s 138 Mah be sufficient? and what about the resistance, is it still needed.
elmohtarm is offline Find More Posts by elmohtarm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:49 AM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmohtarm View Post
Same thing here. It also start to have Yoyo effect (Ultrasonic inconsistent reading).
It happens if I have the iphone connected or not.
Will it be better if we connected separate power source to the Arduino? will 2s 138 Mah be sufficient? and what about the resistance, is it still needed.
You still would need the resistor, the Arduino's TX is at 5V and the drone's Rx input pulls it to 3.3V.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
Registered User
pawelsky's Avatar
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Will do some more systematic tests tomorrow.
Tried to do some tests today, but unfortunately I did the wiring wrong while doing measurements and fried the arduino (not a good idea to have both + and - cable in the same color). Hopefully only the capacitor exploded, so I'll try to fix that (or use another arduino - luckily I have a spare spare)

In the meantime I did some hovering tests with iDev and the original (fully charged) drone battery. It starts to have some problem with yaw left at about 25% (not as big as with the mod at 40% though). The yaw becomes uncontrollable only around and below 20%.

I've also noticed that one of the motors (front left) gets hotter than the others and the bushings seem to be more loose than the others. This may be a coincidence, but I've ordered ball bearings some time ago, so hopefully they will arrive soon and I will be able to replace the bushings (and rule that problem out).

I'll do some more tests once the arduino gets fixed and share the result.

P.S. Miru, logging via the socket works fine, thanks (managed to check that while arduino was still alive).
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Registered User
unisev's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
The easiest way to tell is to run the mod in SETUP mode and see what happens when you turn off your TX. If any channel goes red you are good to go.
Hello everybody,

Miru, I've tested your proposition and no channel is going red, so the Drone will continue flying when Tx is off... and of course this is what happens

The strange thing is : my plane's ESC detects "lost signal" on the same Rx... how they do that ?

Sev

PS: I've updated to Miru 0.12 for this test
unisev is offline Find More Posts by unisev
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unisev View Post
Hello everybody,

Miru, I've tested your proposition and no channel is going red, so the Drone will continue flying when Tx is off... and of course this is what happens

The strange thing is : my plane's ESC detects "lost signal" on the same Rx... how they do that ?

Sev

PS: I've updated to Miru 0.12 for this test
That means you have to dig into your TX/RX manuals and figure out what their 'failsafe' approach is. Your ESC must be triggering the 'failsave' when the pulse is <= 1.1ms.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:13 AM
Registered User
unisev's Avatar
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
My poor chinese material are not so much documented oscilloscope will be my friend.

Miru Mod is not detecting this signal<=1.1ms ?

Sev
unisev is offline Find More Posts by unisev
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:35 AM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unisev View Post
My poor chinese material are not so much documented oscilloscope will be my friend.

Miru Mod is not detecting this signal<=1.1ms ?

Sev
Mirumod accepts pulses between 0.95ms and 2.05ms.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Failsafe, Stability, Right YAW

I ran across this interesting video posted by JG-rn from the other ardrone forum http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/...p=17238#p17238. This one video of an out-of-control-range ardrone shows what can happen when failsafe feature fails; stability of ardone control algorithm; and YAW-right characteristic of the ardrone when its battery gets weak. All these were subject of discussions at one time or another in this thread.

This fly away ardrone has a happy ending...

Go Pro and Parrot AR.Drone fly away very high (8 min 41 sec)
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo RC Controlled AR.Drone w/o WiFi! nosaari Multirotor Talk 116 Mar 14, 2014 02:23 PM
For Sale Parrot AR Drone w/TX/RX mod *Flies Nice* Z06 Tony Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Apr 16, 2011 09:42 PM
Discussion Wifi Boosted AR.Drone Fallengod Multirotor Talk 7 Feb 12, 2011 10:52 AM
Discussion And yet another AR drone Arial Video project taudronis Multirotor Talk 17 Dec 07, 2010 11:04 AM
Sold Parrot AR.Drone Four rotor platform control with your iPodTouch/iPhone/iPad Hoverup Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Oct 12, 2010 03:54 PM