HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Dec 2011
36 Posts
In a model shop may be possible but also in mechanical spare parts shop (normally is sold in meter).

Alex
Alx0363 is offline Find More Posts by Alx0363
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
I just upgraded to mirumod v.13 and the video from the iDev is must improved now! I always thought my 2.4Ghz RC TX is interfering the iDev video stream from the ardrone's 2.4GHz wifi. Based on my short test this morning, Miru had proven me wrong.

This almost 'live' video is now possible for slow and careful FPV flights for some 'brave' ardrone pilots! ......
An update following another short test this morning:

I was quite excited to see the almost 'live' video from the iDev when controlling the ardrone from miru's RC mod. So I went and dig up out my old iTouch mount that I rigged up from last summer and attached it to the handle on my 9X RC TX. As you can see from the video below, the almost 'live' video from my iTouch was disappointing with this setup. 2.4GHz RFI between the RC TX and iDev wifi still exist I guess.

Photo of my iTouch mount on the 9X TX - Note the antenna is quite close to the iTouch:

Video from DroneRecord App is shown below. Conditions are almost the same as it was yesterday morning except the following:
1. the iTouch is mounted on the RC TX. In yesterday's video, the iTouch was sitting on top of a recycle bin with the TX in my hands about 2-3 feet away most of the time.
2. the ardrone firmware was upgraded to 1.7.11. Yesterday's was 1.7.6.

DroneRecord Video while using 2.4GHz RC Control (2 min 16 sec)

The video from 808#11 cam was perfectly smooth but I didn't uploaded it.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
For Turnigy 9x owners that would like to have self-centering on both stick, here is what I have found recently:

http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=125

They claim free shipping worldwide, but I haven't try that yet.

Unfortunately the lever comes without the spring - I wonder if anyone knows a good, cheap source of such springs (preferably with free shipping worldwide)?
This looks like the same spring and lever i have for my FlySky CT6b radios. If it is i would offer these you to guys for a discount. I only have 500 set on hand so let me know soon.
ssgtmacgyver is offline Find More Posts by ssgtmacgyver
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:02 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
An update following another short test this morning:

I was quite excited to see the almost 'live' video from the iDev when controlling the ardrone from miru's RC mod. So I went and dig up out my old iTouch mount that I rigged up from last summer and attached it to the handle on my 9X RC TX. As you can see from the video below, the almost 'live' video from my iTouch was disappointing with this setup. 2.4GHz RFI between the RC TX and iDev wifi still exist I guess.
Candu1, maybe you can rig the iTouch to the side so it gets away from the TX antenna. It works here if I put the DX7 right next to the iPhone...
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
Hello,

First of all, thank you Miru, I'm a french user of your MOD.

I'm surprising about the FailSafe,why that need a RSSI or a Rx LED connection ?

I have several chinese basic ESC that are able to STOP the "motor" when radio signal is lost (with Turborix 6ch Rx, no failsafe), how do they do that ? is possible with Arduino ?

Sev

PS : I did not read all the topic, sorry if it has already been asked
unisev is offline Find More Posts by unisev
Last edited by unisev; Jun 12, 2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:49 AM
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unisev View Post
Hello,

First of all, thank you Miru, I'm a french user of your MOD (MiruLenzo ).

I'm surprising about the FailSafe,why that need a RSSI or a Rx LED connection ?

I have several chinese basic ESC that are able to STOP the "motor" when radio signal is lost (with Turborix 6ch Rx, no failsafe), how do they do that ? is possible with Arduino ?

Sev

PS : I did not read all the topic, sorry if it has already been asked
In my understanding this is only needed if your Receiver doesn't support a fail-save configuration.
tkramm is offline Find More Posts by tkramm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
To be more accurate, if the failsafe function of your Receiver is "hold", or "neutral", how can Miru's mod know if you maintain stick to animate, or if you release it to auto-hover?

With a radio system allowing to program failsafe, we just have to program neutral stick and landing switch.
RolluS is offline Find More Posts by RolluS
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolluS View Post
...With a radio system allowing to program failsafe, we just have to program neutral stick and landing switch.
Just to be clear about my understanding :
The FailSafe fonction is a Rx fonction and not a Tx fontion, cause it MUST work without Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramm View Post
In my understanding this is only needed if your Receiver doesn't support a fail-save configuration.
Effectively, my Rx has no failsafe fonction (Turborix 6ch), and I don't know how does it work, but my cheap chinese ESC detect when this Rx lost signals, in this case, the ESC cut-off the motor.

So arduino can do it ?? Am I wrong ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolluS View Post
To be more accurate, if the failsafe function of your Receiver is "hold", or "neutral", how can Miru's mod know if you maintain stick to animate, or if you release it to auto-hover?
The answer is in all the chinese cheap ESC that easely detect signal-lost on NON failsafe Rx...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:46 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
The FailSafe fonction is a Rx fonction and not a Tx fontion, cause it MUST work without Tx.

Effectively, my Rx has no failsafe fonction (Turborix 6ch), and I don't know how does it work, but my cheap chinese ESC detect when this Rx lost signals, in this case, the ESC cut-off the motor.

So arduino can do it ?? Am I wrong ?

The answer is in all the chinese cheap ESC that easely detect signal-lost on NON failsafe Rx...
Any ESC will stop the motor if the pulse from the RX is missing.
If your RX stops sending pulses when it looses contact to the TX, the mod will detect that and LAND the drone. Some receivers will keep on sending the last pulses they received after a TX connection loss, so there is no way to detect that from watching the pulses. This is why you can setup the mod such that it watches an extra input, because those receivers usually have a LED that indicates the loss. Other receivers, like the AR6100, keep on sending the last pulses received, but change the throttle channel pulse length to the time it was when the receiver was bound to the TX (this is why you have to have a very low throttle value when you bind the AR6100).
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
Your description of the AR6100 fonctionality sounds like a "throttle failsafe"...

So you are saying to me that with my Turborix 6CH receiver an the Miru MOD, if signal is lost, the Drone will land ?

That's cool
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:51 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Your description of the AR6100 fonctionality sounds like a "throttle failsafe"...

So you are saying to me that with my Turborix 6CH receiver an the Miru MOD, if signal is lost, the Drone will land ?

That's cool
The easiest way to tell is to run the mod in SETUP mode and see what happens when you turn off your TX. If any channel goes red you are good to go.
Last edited by miru; Jan 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
I'm PM'ing you in french to explain better
RolluS is offline Find More Posts by RolluS
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:58 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,518 Posts
Dear drone modders,

I've been testing my mod recently and observed that it has a tendency to do a very slow yaw right, and has serious problems with doing a left yaw, to the extent that it sometimes becomes completely shaky and unstable and I must do some emergency maneuvers to recover.

Also in some cases after a couple of turns it does not stop doing the right yaw even if I let the stick go back to center position, which usually requires a quick land to not crash the drone.

It seems to get worse and worse as the battery discharges (at ~40% it is basically unflyable).

I've checked in SETUP mode and all seems to be configured properly (shows 0 when sticks are centered), I have all trims set to 0 in the TX.

The strange thing is that it happens only when I use the mod, do not observe that when flying with iDevice.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the arduino + RX draw so much current that there is not enough juice left for the drone and its motors to work properly.

Did you observe similar behavior? Any idea what could be causing that?
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:05 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Dear drone modders,

I've been testing my mod recently and observed that it has a tendency to do a very slow yaw right, and has serious problems with doing a left yaw, to the extent that it sometimes becomes completely shaky and unstable and I must do some emergency maneuvers to recover.

Also in some cases after a couple of turns it does not stop doing the right yaw even if I let the stick go back to center position, which usually requires a quick land to not crash the drone.

It seems to get worse and worse as the battery discharges (at ~40% it is basically unflyable).

I've checked in SETUP mode and all seems to be configured properly (shows 0 when sticks are centered), I have all trims set to 0 in the TX.

The strange thing is that it happens only when I use the mod, do not observe that when flying with iDevice.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the arduino + RX draw so much current that there is not enough juice left for the drone and its motors to work properly.

Did you observe similar behavior? Any idea what could be causing that?
The behaviour is the one of a drone with not enough power. Do you have the resistor in the TX line? Can you measure the current the Arduino is drawing? Do you have a servo connected to the RX?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:07 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Do you have the resistor in the TX line?
Yes, 4k7 (measured 4.88 kohm)

Quote:
Can you measure the current the Arduino is drawing?
Here are the measurements (while connected to the drone):

arduino without RX - 13.7mA
arduino + RX (TX off) - 33.7mA
arduiono + RX (TX on) - 41.3mA

Quote:
Do you have a servo connected to the RX?
No.
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky