HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:53 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,107 Posts
Futaba 10C setup with DM8 Spek Module

Here is what settings I have for Futaba with Spektrum module

I assigned this is your choice depending on which switch you like to use as long is meets the 2 ways and 3 way switch needed by miru's doc.)

CH5 as SwF
AUX1 as SwC

1. AILE: NOR
2. ELEV: NOR
3. THR: REV
4. RUDD: NOR
5. GEAR: NOR
6. FLAP: NOR (This is the AUX1 channel)

SUB TRIM
All at 0 except for
GEAR: +100
FLAP: +100
These number gave the values needed using miru's guide.

Let me know if there is anything else anyone else needs from the Futaba.

Next update will be with Futaba Fasst rx. But will be next Saturday as I will be flying to CT tonight and be there for a week.

Gonna miss my new found connection to Drone.
actionplus is offline Find More Posts by actionplus
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:23 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,107 Posts
Land

Rjrobbin,

Make sure the aux1 channel has a 3 way switch.
So, you will get FM1,FM2 and land.
One is a neg number, one at 0 and the other is pos number. Like the numbers I posted earlier.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:31 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,107 Posts
Pwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobbin View Post
Hope you can shed some light on what I am seeing. I did the setup and got the above..i.e stick movements are right...not sure I ever saw a LAND..but I did see FM_1 and FM_2. At any rate, the receiver Arduino seemed to be working...When I connect this to the drone, power up, the receiver bind light comes on green then starts flashing red-green...looks like the power is dropping. ( this is a guess ) If I connect my receiver 4.8v battery, the bind light stays green...which once again indicates that the receiver is losing power. Obviously, the Drone never loads...any idea?

Thanks for the great write up.

Have you connected the way Lorenzo has it in his drawing? Where your rx is getting vcc from the arduino?

Also, check to make sure you connected the signal lines to signal on the rx and not gnd or vcc on the rx.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionplus View Post
Have you connected the way Lorenzo has it in his drawing? Where your rx is getting vcc from the arduino?

Also, check to make sure you connected the signal lines to signal on the rx and not gnd or vcc on the rx.
used the diagram...when doing the setup...everything seems to work fine. When I connect it to the Drone, the receiver comes green for about four seconds then the red-green start flashing on the rec. the red light on the arduino is also flickering....

the receiver is hooked per the diagram getting power from vcc.

I have probably done something stupid....not the first time. Traveling this week..I'll try to get a picture of the setup and post it here.

I am really anxious to get this working...iPhones just don't hack it.
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:23 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,107 Posts
2mm connector

I found earlier that I broke one of the pins on my connector. I got Find me another connecter. I am sure there is a ribbon connector that someone sells. Time to look for one.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:42 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobbin View Post
used the diagram...when doing the setup...everything seems to work fine. When I connect it to the Drone, the receiver comes green for about four seconds then the red-green start flashing on the rec. the red light on the arduino is also flickering....

the receiver is hooked per the diagram getting power from vcc.

I have probably done something stupid....not the first time. Traveling this week..I'll try to get a picture of the setup and post it here.

I am really anxious to get this working...iPhones just don't hack it.
Check power on the drone, maybe your battery is not charged?
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Apr 18, 2011, 02:57 AM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
MAGPS, the iptables command:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p UDP ! -s 127.0.0.1 --dport 5556 -j DNAT --to :11000
makes all incoming packets for port 5556 go to port 11000 where they can be disected/modified.... This is a good point to insert the PCMD/REF commands from the Arduino program and still allowing the iDev application to talk to the drone (setup...).
I can't find an easy way, at least so far, how to get a hold of the outgoing navdata packets without loosing the destination information. Do you have any ideas?
miru
For NavData:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p UDP ! -s 127.0.0.1 --dport 5554 -j DNAT --to :15554

The Proxy app will initially send the NavData trigger bytes(0x1) to the local UDP port 5554, and will receive NavData from it.
The Proxy app will also listen on UDP port 15554 to get the NavData trigger bytes from iDevice and mark down the Source IP/Port, and all NavData will also forward to that iDevice after that. Thus both iDevice and Proxy can share one source of NavData.
MAPGPS is offline Find More Posts by MAPGPS
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:25 AM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Check power on the drone, maybe your battery is not charged?
Well, I made flights on this battery after the issue....

I appreciate the response, and the work you have done on this. I am close, just need to find my error.
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:14 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPGPS View Post
For NavData:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p UDP ! -s 127.0.0.1 --dport 5554 -j DNAT --to :15554

The Proxy app will initially send the NavData trigger bytes(0x1) to the local UDP port 5554, and will receive NavData from it.
The Proxy app will also listen on UDP port 15554 to get the NavData trigger bytes from iDevice and mark down the Source IP/Port, and all NavData will also forward to that iDevice after that. Thus both iDevice and Proxy can share one source of NavData.
Thank you for responding. This is the hard way, because on 1.5.1 the NavData trigger can be 0x2, which makes program.elf spit out the data to multicast address 224.1.1.1:5554 and I don't know where to pull that address from. I was hoping along the lines of an iptables easy rule to make a copy of an outgoing packet... (-j ROUTE --tee or -j TEE, neither is implemented on drone).
I think, at this point, to fix the 'grass' problem, one can either go 'brute force' and send a COMWDG every Nth time when sending the PCMD/REF (if have seen N=1) or one has to look at the navdata header and clear the COM_WATCHDOG flag by sending COMWDG when it gets set. If I go the latter route, I need to stay with constant sequence number 1 in AT commands, otherwise I can not insert a command without editing the sequence number of subsequent commands. Once I start doing that, I might as well push all AT command generation into the drone program, which would simplify the Arduino program quite a bit, since the drone deadline management could be done there as well.
Last edited by miru; Apr 18, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:29 AM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
miru,

I don't think we need to take care 224.1.1.1, as a normal iDevice we used will not use such broadcast. So just treat it as the same for trigger 0x1 and 0x2.
My app alway uses the second way for COMWDG (with sequence 1), and has following overall sequences like:
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:22 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,270 Posts
Quote:
miru,

I don't think we need to take care 224.1.1.1, as a normal iDevice we used will not use such broadcast. So just treat it as the same for trigger 0x1 and 0x2.
My app alway uses the second way for COMWDG (with sequence 1), and has following overall sequences like:
Freeflight 1.7 on my iPhone will do the 0x2 navdata trigger, I'll check if it is ok to send it back the 0x1 way, e.g. to the port where the trigger came from.

If the second way fixes the 'grass' problem (loss of ROL/PTC control) what will the navdata be used for?

What do you think about generating all AT commands in the proxy?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
If the second way fixes the 'grass' problem (loss of ROL/PTC control) what will the navdata be used for?
What do you think about generating all AT commands in the proxy?
The Proxy just needs to generate AT commands on demand:
1) Generate "AT*COMWDG=1\r" in case of MYKONOS_COM_WATCHDOG_MASK is detected from NavData
2) Generate AT*PCMD in GPS UAV mode (e.g.: Auto-Home)

And pass the AT commands received from Arduino and iDevice with priority:
1) Arduino mode (default)
2) iDevice mode (if no AT commands received from Arduino for 1 second)
3) UAV mode (if no AT commands received from any of Arduino and iDevice for x second)

And insert "AT*COMWDG=1\r" between mode switch to reset the sequence number.
It will switch back to a higher priority mode immediately when AT commands from the device with that mode are received.

The Proxy/Arduino can utilize following NavData:
- mykonos_state (MYKONOS_COM_WATCHDOG_MAS, MYKONOS_FLY_MASK and others)
- vbat_flying_percentage (Auto-Home if battery is low --- predict how much battery is needed for Auto-Home)
- altitude (set hovering height after Auto-Home, e.g.: hovering at 2m --- we don’t want the AR.Drone landed into water if any!)
- theta, phi, psi (if you want to mount an external Camera with Adjustment)
Last edited by MAPGPS; Apr 18, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:17 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,270 Posts
Quote:
The Proxy just needs to generate AT commands on demand:
1) Generate "AT*COMWDG=1\r" in case of MYKONOS_COM_WATCHDOG_MASK is detected from NavData
Implemented in rev 0.04.
It works here, meaning it can overcome the 'grass/carpet' problem once the altitude sensor gets it's marbles back together and the proxy can talk to it.
Quote:
2) Generate AT*PCMD in GPS UAV mode (e.g.: Auto-Home)
We'll have to decide where the 'smarts' of this will be, Arduino or Proxy. Still having a problem getting more than 1 byte at a time from the proxy to the Arduino at 115200 baud. The majority voting on input values in Atmega328's receiver HW UART is somewhat challenged if the clock error is too large.
Quote:
And pass the AT commands received from Arduino and iDevice with priority:
1) Arduino mode (default)
2) iDevice mode (if no AT commands received from Arduino for 1 second)
3) UAV mode (if no AT commands received from any of Arduino and iDevice for x second))
Have to digest this...
Quote:
And insert "AT*COMWDG=1\r" between mode switch to reset the sequence number.
It will switch back to a higher priority mode immediately when AT commands from the device with that mode are received.
It is not really needed since proxy will generate the sequence numbers anyway and can make those decisions based on what it thinks who should be in control.
Quote:

The Proxy/Arduino can utilize following NavData:
- mykonos_state (MYKONOS_COM_WATCHDOG_MAS, MYKONOS_FLY_MASK and others)
- vbat_flying_percentage (Auto-Home if battery is low --- predict how much battery is needed for Auto-Home)
- altitude (set hovering height after Auto-Home, e.g.: hovering at 2m --- we don’t want the AR.Drone landed into water if any!)
- theta, phi, psi (if you want to mount an external Camera with Adjustment)
Good thoughts, implementation little further out....

Rev 0.04, the one I am working on right now, allows the iDev in, just takes out it's REF/PCMD sequences and it works! The video as well as NavData gets to the iDev and it seems happy with it. Sending NavData to the multicast address, as requested by trigger 0x2, is not a problem...
Last edited by miru; Apr 19, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:06 PM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
iDev nav data and video is good thing

miru

You are doing good work. Next is full autopilot, ground station and big motors.
Well I would settle for full control over grass. Keep up the good work.

Larry
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:10 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello,

some news... :,

here we are at least, i did the Mod...

Few pictures, for now, it holds only with runner band, i will do something better later on...

The resut is quite discrete :

it could be more discrete, pushing the pack more under the drone.
I know, rubber band are not very nice, i will do it better later on

closer view to the burger A AR6100 RX as bread
As you can see, i used two single pins connectors to ground input 10 when needed with a servo extension.
I didn't do the same arrangement as you Miru, a lack of female board connector...
And for serial connection to the computer, i used the conventional way, a "FDTI Basic 5V Sparkfun module", so, i place a connector in accordance with it. The result is not so compact

a wide view with the cable to AR.Drone connector :

To be honest, everything worked on first try !

Settings are very simple, channels direction, and that's it !
For your information, i'm on Mac, not easy to use Terminal.app as a hyperterminal. I used ZTerm, iworks all right for this purpose.

Don't forget to adjust the sensibility parameters in the arduino code, i used full sensibility for all parameter, i love it... S reactive !
And off course, i choose the AUX 3 positions switch... FM2 mode is so good.
You go fast and let the sticks going to neutral, you can see the drone dragging as a puck on the ice... very impressive...

I'm going to set up a FPV cam with a video transmitter... will give you news about it later... I will be oblige, i think, to calm down the Drone sensibility

Next week, i will shoot a video... see you soon

A+++
Lorenzo29 is offline Find More Posts by Lorenzo29
Last edited by Lorenzo29; Apr 21, 2011 at 04:19 PM.