HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:24 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyusers View Post
Miru,
could you clarify some points about connectivity? I remember having read that the port that is used on AR drone is USB port. Don't you use it as a serial port connected to rx/tx on the side of arduino?
Could you also confirm that the serial port of the arduino Nano can be used though it is already connected to the FTDI internal port? I suppose it is possible only if the USB connexion is not used (board not connected through USB?)
Thank you for advices.
PS : congratulation for that very impressive work. It is interesting to understand how things work.
The mod is using the serial port of the drone connected to the serial port of the Arduino (Nano or ProMini). Many people call the connector on the drone the USB port, because it has USB signals as well, however one has to do some software surgery on the drone to make it go.
The FTDI portion of the Nano uses the serial port as well. Thanks to the clever design the port can be used for communication to the drone when the FTDI portion is inactive. You have to disconnect the drone serial port to 'upload' a program into the Nano, just like you would have to disconnect the drone if you 'upload' a program with the FTDI board to the ProMini.
On a Nano setup, if you insert a resistor in the RX line (like the one used on the TX line) and a diode in the 12 V power feed, you don't need to disconnect the serial port of the drone when uploading a new 'sketch', just make sure the drone's battery is disconnected.
And then, there is another clever setup when you use the Nano: if you use an angled 5 pin header, straighten three pins and mount two pins in the position of the ICSP position (GND, D11), you can move a jumper depending on what you want to do, a) bind RX, b) run setup and c) fly.
Code:
receiver bind ---------------X---
                     GND-----X---
                     D11-----X---
RX Arduino ------------------X---
TX Drone   ------------------X---
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; Dec 04, 2011 at 09:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:30 PM
Paris
Joined Dec 2010
175 Posts
Thank you Miru. I have no AR drone to test your mod (the only one I saw is my nephew's perheaps one day I shall steal it to try..) but I use similar board (Nano) to build Multiwii copters. I wonder if one could adapt the type of cam that is used to stabilize the drone ; I imagine an arduino would not be fast enough to deal with frames.
happyusers is offline Find More Posts by happyusers
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:28 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Amsterdã
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts
My FlySky's setup Ch5, Ch6 was like this:
Ch5/Gear for Land/Fly. Ch6/Aux for F_Mod.

I moved them to Ch6/Aux Like the original setup. So the Ch6/Aux became LAND/FM1/FM2

The Ch5/Gear is now unused and I was wondering what could be done with it.? Did anyone make a good use of it?
I was thinking about adding a switch on that channel to switch a led light strip on and off. Aparentelly I can't make it myself, for my knowledge is limited. But if someone have it already done and would like to share, I'll be glad to try it.
dagob is offline Find More Posts by dagob
Last edited by dagob; Dec 05, 2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:51 AM
Norge, Vestfold, Horten
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
How you program the Arduino to to this, cant be hard but ill guess Miru is the one to answer that question.

Then it comes to calculating voltage, current and stuff on the led-strip, I feel maybe I can be helpful. My first idea is that you run this through a relay which connect a external battery to your led-setup , så you dont drain the primarybattery
Do you want a constant lit ledstrip, or a flashing/running one? Only one color or many?
TH_Trinity is offline Find More Posts by TH_Trinity
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH_Trinity View Post
How you program the Arduino to to this, cant be hard but ill guess Miru is the one to answer that question.

Then it comes to calculating voltage, current and stuff on the led-strip, I feel maybe I can be helpful. My first idea is that you run this through a relay which connect a external battery to your led-setup , så you dont drain the primarybattery
Do you want a constant lit ledstrip, or a flashing/running one? Only one color or many?
I believe this has nothing to do with the arduino. It is something between that Ch5/Gear, a trigger device and the leds.
Since these Led Light strips are 12V I was thinking to power it up from the battery charge connector. Adding an extra battery wouldn't add to much weight to the drone? I like the relay idea, how do I know wich one will work to that channel voltage? I've heard that this channel works with a very low voltage.

I would like to use a constant ledstrip, maybe a blue one on the front to the middle then from there to the back a red one.
Or maybe it is not a good idea at all.?!?!?!
Last edited by dagob; Dec 05, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:44 PM
Norge, Vestfold, Horten
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
When you flip the switch on your remote(tx), you send a signal to your Rx, who patches that triggersignal to the Arduino board, what happens next depends on what the arduino is programmed to do with that signal..

I picture that the arduino triggers one of the vacant outputs to high state (from 0 to 1), from that output is the circuit to the relay which then opens the positive lead from the secondary battery to the led-stripe and "there will be light"
A relay require very little energy to trigger, thats why i choose to mention that, although a small circuit with a transistor is also possible to use, only your creativity will stop you there

Well, the weight cant be zero, but it can be very, very light, all depends on what battery you are thinking of using and how long it should last before it goes empty. Li-Po is proven til be lightweight, but still pack large amounts of energy. Thats a good powersource and can be found cheap at ebay, alternative your local hoppyshop.

A good example of cheap led-stripe is from dealextreme, although you never know when the package are gonna show up, i have been waiting up to 60 days for something i ordered. Again ebay can be a nice site, or just a quick google search for a online webshop.

Constant Blue led strip: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1210-Blue-12...ht_4010wt_1163
Moving Blue led strip:
30cm moving Blue (2 min 1 sec)
Last edited by TH_Trinity; Dec 05, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 11:42 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Sep 2010
133 Posts
I noticed on my iDev there is a firmware update for the drone. Has anybody had a chance to test it yet? I just haven't had a chance.
daytimer is offline Find More Posts by daytimer
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
39 Posts
Question when using a Nano instead of a Pro mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
The mod is using the serial port of the drone connected to the serial port of the Arduino (Nano or ProMini). Many people call the connector on the drone the USB port, because it has USB signals as well, however one has to do some software surgery on the drone to make it go.
The FTDI portion of the Nano uses the serial port as well. Thanks to the clever design the port can be used for communication to the drone when the FTDI portion is inactive. You have to disconnect the drone serial port to 'upload' a program into the Nano, just like you would have to disconnect the drone if you 'upload' a program with the FTDI board to the ProMini.
On a Nano setup, if you insert a resistor in the RX line (like the one used on the TX line) and a diode in the 12 V power feed, you don't need to disconnect the serial port of the drone when uploading a new 'sketch', just make sure the drone's battery is disconnected.
And then, there is another clever setup when you use the Nano: if you use an angled 5 pin header, straighten three pins and mount two pins in the position of the ICSP position (GND, D11), you can move a jumper depending on what you want to do, a) bind RX, b) run setup and c) fly.
Code:
receiver bind ---------------X---
                     GND-----X---
                     D11-----X---
RX Arduino ------------------X---
TX Drone   ------------------X---
Miru, I know you reference the Nano above and I have downloaded the instructions kindly put together by UFODoctor. My question is if I want to use the Nano instead of the Pro Mini, what in the instructions change?
Can I use the same sketch etc? The nano seems like an ideal device for this mod.
Thanks for your assistance!

Bruce
Bpstars is offline Find More Posts by Bpstars
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:48 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpstars View Post
Miru, I know you reference the Nano above and I have downloaded the instructions kindly put together by UFODoctor. My question is if I want to use the Nano instead of the Pro Mini, what in the instructions change?
Can I use the same sketch etc? The nano seems like an ideal device for this mod.

Bruce
Bruce, you can use the same sketch. There is a reference to the Nano wireing on the first page of this post.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:55 PM
Norge, Vestfold, Horten
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
After I put out the video to cheap led light, i got too tempted, so for those who have interest in this, i will come back with some pictures and info.
I also noticed after some testing, 'cus here i live in Norway, it gets quickly dark and i work late hours. The drone is extrimely unstable and do lots of crazy stuff in the dark, hence the vision alart on the iDev app.
So one of the led strips, is a high-lumination white light, which i planning to put in a circle under the drone, to light up the ground..

So Miru, is it possible to use the extra channel to control an output with definein a pin as an output and compare this to a input from channel 6 going high to trigger?
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
39 Posts
Thanks so much! I got a bit lost in this thread!

I got the info and will give it a try!

BP
Bpstars is offline Find More Posts by Bpstars
Old Dec 08, 2011, 03:02 PM
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpstars View Post

Bruce
I'm using the Nano V3 and didn't have to change anything in the sketch to use it with the Nano.

My Tx/Rx has no Failsafe function, so I had to add the "Miru's failsafe code" into the sketch. That was the only chage I had to make to the sketch.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytimer View Post
I noticed on my iDev there is a firmware update for the drone. Has anybody had a chance to test it yet? I just haven't had a chance.
Mine is running on the Firmware 1.7.6. I believe this is the latest version. It is working just fine.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:38 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH_Trinity View Post
After I put out the video to cheap led light, i got too tempted, so for those who have interest in this, i will come back with some pictures and info.
I also noticed after some testing, 'cus here i live in Norway, it gets quickly dark and i work late hours. The drone is extrimely unstable and do lots of crazy stuff in the dark, hence the vision alart on the iDev app.
So one of the led strips, is a high-lumination white light, which i planning to put in a circle under the drone, to light up the ground..

So Miru, is it possible to use the extra channel to control an output with definein a pin as an output and compare this to a input from channel 6 going high to trigger?
Yes it is possible, just change the sketch. I would use the pin labelled 12 on the Arduino which maps to Atmega 328 PORTB.4. Keep in mind that you will need some sort of switch on the output if your LEDs draw more than 40 mA or run on 12V.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagob View Post
Mine is running on the Firmware 1.7.6. I believe this is the latest version. It is working just fine.
Today I got an FW Manager alert on my iPhone that there's a new Firmware update for the Ar. Drone. firmware 1.7.10.

I think this is the update that daytimer commented.

Question is: Is it safe to update?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by dagob; Dec 09, 2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: adding an image