HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:57 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcsp View Post
I had done this before.
The trim and emergency reset works fine.
I get a good initialization with green lights, I just don't have any cyclic control!!
Do you know of any differences between the DX7 and the 2.4 JR 11x transmitter that would cause this???
I don't have a JR 11x.
Can you check again in SETUP mode and make sure the cyclic stick is affecting the aileron and elevator channel? From what I read about the 11x, it can have any function on any channel, maybe something is not setup right there. I assume the rudder and throttle are working. Right?
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:27 PM
United States, MD
Joined Apr 2006
40 Posts
Miru

I want to thank you for all your help.
I'm going to borrow a friends DX7 to see if that solves the problem.

Steve
wcsp is offline Find More Posts by wcsp
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:30 PM
United States, MD
Joined Apr 2006
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I don't have a JR 11x.
Can you check again in SETUP mode and make sure the cyclic stick is affecting the aileron and elevator channel? From what I read about the 11x, it can have any function on any channel, maybe something is not setup right there. I assume the rudder and throttle are working. Right?
All sticks and switches work correctly in the SETUP mode.
The Throttle, Rudder and 3 position switch work correctly on the Drone!!
wcsp is offline Find More Posts by wcsp
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:37 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcsp View Post
All sticks and switches work correctly in the SETUP mode.
The Throttle, Rudder and 3 position switch work correctly on the Drone!!
That puts me to the end of my Latin... And the TX is setup in ACRO mode? so the cyclic input is not mixed in any way? Maybe the 3 position switch changes the curves as well?
If the 11x has a monitor mode check if the signals change when you flip the three position switch.
The other way would be to go into SETUP and make sure all sticks work the same no matter where the switch is.
Last edited by miru; Oct 02, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 05:43 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
help ! My mod isnt working ...

First of all great mod !

Im doing the mod using an arduino nano with a futaba 6J RC unit.
Im using version 10 of the mod (my ar drone is 1.7.6 - I believe someone else on the forum had confirmed they were working with 1.7.6

I confirmed the nano was fully working before I started - I confirmed I could compile and load the mod sketch onto the nano
Ive assembled the cable looms and connectors and done the ground tests (which after some channel reallocations and servo reverses now work flawlessly).

Im having problems on the first ground integration test with the AR drone ...

Everything powers up and the notify light on the arduino is flashing as expected.
However the arduino light doesnt seem to go dim and the controls never become active.

I put breakout pins on the RX/TX lines to the AR drone and captured the attached data logs (see attached zip).

The RX capture is the output of the drone (at 115k) and it seems to suggest the drone is ok ?? (or ist it ??)
The TX capture at 38400 seems to confirm the download is starting and seems to believe its completing (if Im reading the sketch code properly).

Im slightly concerned by the baudrate switch which seems to be going on from 115k to 38400 - is this normal ?

I would be grateful of any help / suggestions from anyone
crushed is offline Find More Posts by crushed
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:12 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushed View Post
Im having problems on the first ground integration test with the AR drone ...

Everything powers up and the notify light on the arduino is flashing as expected.
However the arduino light doesnt seem to go dim and the controls never become active.

I put breakout pins on the RX/TX lines to the AR drone and captured the attached data logs (see attached zip).

The RX capture is the output of the drone (at 115k) and it seems to suggest the drone is ok ?? (or ist it ??)
The TX capture at 38400 seems to confirm the download is starting and seems to believe its completing (if Im reading the sketch code properly).

Im slightly concerned by the baudrate switch which seems to be going on from 115k to 38400 - is this normal ?

I would be grateful of any help / suggestions from anyone
The baudrate switch is normal, can you log what is coming out of the drone after the switch to 38400? Your log shows what the Arduino sends to the drone and that looks ok.
If you can telnet into the drone, check that /tmp/at2so.arm exists. If so do a 'ps' and check if it runs.
Last edited by miru; Oct 02, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:36 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
The V10 works again great.

I use it with a

Drone 1: Arduino Pro Mini with Futaba R617 and 8FG
Drone2: Arduino Nano with Spektrum AR8000 and DX-8

Both work great with default settings!!
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T
Last edited by Frank.T; Oct 03, 2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 07:44 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Thanks for the fast response,

I captured the logs into and out of the drone at 34800 (see attachment), looks to me like the file is being uploaded unzipped and started correctly.

Maybe Im not understanding what I should see, What Im seeing is

Starting the drone in land & FM1 (I have verified I get the correct light sequence and pause if I start not in land)
Following the readme notes in the version 10 file

1) Drone turns on RED lights and boots

2) Arduino GREEN light blinks first once every second while the drone is booting
and it has not figured out the receiver yet. As soon as it has a grip on the
receiver it goes to a double blink every second while it burns the rest of
the drone boot time (10 seconds).

3) If the flight mode is not LAND, 'rx2atp' will blink three times a second and
waits for you to remedy that situation..

4) Drone turns off RED lights and turns on GREEN lights.

5) Arduino GREEN light blinks ON/OFF, .5 second rhythm, while it waits for a 4
second 'quiet' time on the serial port, which means the drone is done with
all the boot messages.

6) Arduino turns on GREEN light while it uploads and launches 'at2so' (quick).

7) 'at2so' makes the drone lights blink for a second once it starts.

I seem to get the sequence to here ok

8) 'rx2atp' sends the configuration commands to 'at2so' and turns off LED. Once
'at2so' is done with the commands it flashes the lights on the drone for a
second and tells 'rx2atp' to go ahead.

I get a blink - but the LEDS go green to red

9) You are good to go! Do a FTRIM before you launch and have fun.

At this point I have a drone with red lights (they flashed green for a bit) ????
If I rudder left (Im using left stick rudder/throttle) then the drone lights flash green then go back to red.

Thanks for any help - on the bright side Im learning about the drone fast

crushed is offline Find More Posts by crushed
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
I get a blink - but the LEDS go green to red
It's a long shoot but try the start with the down facing camera covered up. See this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=811
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:14 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushed View Post
At this point I have a drone with red lights (they flashed green for a bit) ????
If I rudder left (Im using left stick rudder/throttle) then the drone lights flash green then go back to red.

Thanks for any help - on the bright side Im learning about the drone fast

If the drone turns all motor lights red, it is not happy about something. Use your iDev when it is in that state and find out what is going on.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
I had my Drone happy on 0.06 for a while now and finally decided update to version 0.10.

I directly upgraded to 0.10 and found that the drone had stopped working. I backtracked to 0.06 and everything started working again.

I upgraded a step at a time till I found that it stopped working at version 0.09. The arduino would appear to try to upload to the drone but then nothing would happen.

A little debugging and it seemed that the problem was as it was uploading the code to the Drone. Some more debugging and a bit of guesswork later and I think I found the problem (in my case anyway)

There is a section in at2so_exec() in version 0.08 that reads:
Code:
void at2so_exec(void)
{
	union { u16_t w; u08_t b[2]; } v;
	u16_t	cks, adr, cnt;

/* start shell on drone */
	sio_sc('\r'); ms_dly(50); sio_rf();

if (gl.arm.adr != 0) { /* piggy back present */
The section below isn't in v0.09 or 0.10:
Code:
I added it in and it has started working again for 0.09. However version 0.10 still is a no go. It appears that when at2so is uploaded and run on the drone that it crashes and then the drone reboots.

Edit:
Correction still having intermittent problems with V 0.10 But it now works for the most part. The first 2-3 times I started up with 0.10 the drone appeared to reboot but it seems to be working now.
Gatsu is offline Find More Posts by Gatsu
Last edited by Gatsu; Oct 04, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
I did some more tests this morning and it seems the result is intermittent.

1st Boot: Red lights, Drone reboots
2nd Boot: Boots correctly, working.
3rd Boot: Boots correctly, working.
4th Boot: Boots correctly, working.
5th Boot: Red lights, Drone reboots

In each case the drone was left off for about 30secs or so. There were no changes in hardware or software between each test.

I may try to patch in the v0.09 at2so into v0.10 and see what the results are.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:20 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsu View Post
I had my Drone happy on 0.06 for a while now and finally decided update to version 0.10.

I directly upgraded to 0.10 and found that the drone had stopped working. I backtracked to 0.06 and everything started working again.

I upgraded a step at a time till I found that it stopped working at version 0.09. The arduino would appear to try to upload to the drone but then nothing would happen.

A little debugging and it seemed that the problem was as it was uploading the code to the Drone. Some more debugging and a bit of guesswork later and I think I found the problem (in my case anyway)

There is a section in at2so_exec() in version 0.08 that reads:
Code:
void at2so_exec(void)
{
	union { u16_t w; u08_t b[2]; } v;
	u16_t	cks, adr, cnt;

if (gl.arm.adr != 0) { /* piggy back present */
The section below isn't in v0.09 or 0.10:
Code:
I added it in and it has started working again for 0.09. However version 0.10 still is a no go. It appears that when at2so is uploaded and run on the drone that it crashes and then the drone reboots.

Edit:
Correction still having intermittent problems with V 0.10 But it now works for the most part. The first 2-3 times I started up with 0.10 the drone appeared to reboot but it seems to be working now.
Sorry to hear you have problems because I have not experienced any. The code section you mention, has moved to 'main()', the '\r' is sent twice to make sure the drone shell does start. You might want to send another '\r' AFTER the baudrate switch to 38400 to clear any residuals before the upload starts.
I will investigate this further when I get back home by the end of this week. What firmware are you running on the drone?
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:29 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsu View Post
I did some more tests this morning and it seems the result is intermittent.

1st Boot: Red lights, Drone reboots
2nd Boot: Boots correctly, working.
3rd Boot: Boots correctly, working.
4th Boot: Boots correctly, working.
5th Boot: Red lights, Drone reboots

In each case the drone was left off for about 30secs or so. There were no changes in hardware or software between each test.

I may try to patch in the v0.09 at2so into v0.10 and see what the results are.
Have you tried Candu1's suggestion? You can also just park it on a white peace of paper during boot.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
Miru,
The drone is currently running on 1.7.4, I had initially accidentally installed 1.7.6 and so had to re-do all my tests just to confirm it wasn't my own stupidity at fault

I did think it was odd that I was having problems, as it seemed to be the sort of thing that would have stood out like a sore thumb in testing. So I can only think that it must be some sort of weird quirk of my drone.
Yup I see in the code where its been moved to now you point it out. I've moved the command to directly before the LEDON() and that seems to work as well. Too soon after the baudrate change and it doesn't seem to take.

I've done startup tests on my desk and sometimes it starts up sometimes it doesn't - its odd.
I've tried my bare desk, a piece of plain white paper, a piece of paper with text printed on it and again completely covering the camera. Sometimes it starts up properly, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to find as clear an example as Candu1, though it does seem to be the same/similar problem.

Is there anything specific you want me to try or look at?

Miru, thank you so much for your work on this, you've done an amazing job