HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:47 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
mirumod rev 0.10

Changes:
  • Arduino NANO integrated and tested. The reasons for integration were that the NANO has a beefier power regulator and provides 3.3V power for a LS20031 GPS.
  • Start sequence looks at 4 things in parallel now, you can tell what it is working on by observing the LED on the Arduino:
    • 1 blip -> radio not ready
    • 2 blips -> radio ok, but FMODE not LAND
    • 3 blips -> radio ok, LAND, waiting for drone to boot
    • 4 blips -> radio ok, LAND, drone booted, waiting for silence on tty
      After that, the LED goes sort of dimm during the upload and start of the companion program and turns bright while it is waiting for the 'magic' start character from the companion program.
  • Lock out WiFi telnet contacts and ftp write on drone by default. You can change the default behaviour by setting the macro AT2SOARGS in the 'sketch'. In this release AT2SOARGS in the 'sketch' is set to "-t" to allow telnet in, use AT2SOARGS "" to lock it out.
  • Added flight mode 3, it will be used in the future to trigger the various GPS based functions. FM3 is reached when you are in FM2 and shortly switch to FM1 and back to FM2. It is cancelled by either switching to FM1 or LAND or moving the aileron/elevator (elevator only for Mode 1,4) channel out of 0 position.
  • GPS serial interface supports 38400 and 57600 baud. Those speeds were a major problem in previous revisions. GPS (GGA record) data is added to Navdata (tag 80). Check the README for the binary structure.
  • Arduino pin D11 became an additional pin for SETUP. This makes the wireing of an Arduino NANO less painful and more elegant. UFO-DOCTOR is working on another good documentation piece for the NANO!

Note: the use of a GPS is OPTIONAL.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; Sep 23, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfnpmsz View Post
Yea, that's what I thought in the first place but the Java Control Tower looses connection to the Drone while the mod is running and in place. No video and no navdata.

I tried that the first time. I will continue to try to troubleshoot this issue.
Just to make sure... if you start the drone with your TX on FM1, the mod will not start on the drone, it will wait for the switch to be on LAND, before it continues. I don't have any problems running a Linux based ground station that collects the Navdata records from WiFi, if I start it AFTER the mod has installed itself.
Did you get any further in this?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Changes:
... and provides 3.3V power for a LS20031 GPS.
I would be careful about that. The 3.3V comes from an internal regulator of the FT232 and you can only draw a max of 50mA out of it. Dont know if its short-circuit-protected or not.

greetings
Chris
han_swurst is offline Find More Posts by han_swurst
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:36 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Dec 2004
78 Posts
Power Issues

Dear miru and all Hi.

I am one more fan of this excellent mod.
I went to the mod very slowly since I had a newborn son when I got the drone and things where quite difficult for me to follow.I read carefully all the topic and I conclude to buy the arduino nano v3.0 due to internal usb and less cost.

I did everything by Miru's "book" plus Lorenzo29 drawings also the guides of UFO doctor.

KUDOS to all of you guys!

I am using 09 version of the sketch and everything worked fine from the beginning using my DX7 and AR6100.

I just used 2 batteries for testing indoor that where charged at about 80%.

The next day I have decide to fully charge one battery and go for outdoor BUT when I plug in the battery the arduino nano was not powering up.

I checked all the wires and plugs and I did not find any problems.I found that the output 5v from the regulator was 0.I searched for the regulator issues on Google and I found this topic
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...num=1272345354

SO I did check the regulator and it was dead.I bought and waited for 2 weeks for the regulator to arrive from http://www.emartee.com/ and I solder it today.

Another power issue occurred and I need some help from the gurus...

With AR6100 connected the arduino nano does not power up and the measurement from the 5v output is 1,4 volt BUT disconnecting and reconnecting the AR6100 everything is working OK.Constant 4,8 volt...

I am afraid to fly with this workaround (reconnecting the RX) and before adding an external BEC I will wait for you experts for a solution to nail this issue down...

Thank you and sorry for the long post

Aris

GREECE
arisarts is offline Find More Posts by arisarts
Last edited by arisarts; Sep 26, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:58 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisarts View Post
Dear miru and all Hi.

I am one more fan of this excellent mod.
I went to the mod very slowly since I had a newborn son when I got the drone and things where quite difficult for me to follow.I read carefully all the topic and I conclude to buy the arduino nano v3.0 due to internal usb and less cost.

I did everything by Miru's "book" plus Lorenzo29 drawings also the guides of UFO doctor.

KUDOS to all of you guys!

I am using 09 version of the sketch and everything worked fine from the beginning using my DX7 and AR6100.

I just used 2 batteries for testing indoor that where charged at about 80%.

The next day I have decide to fully charge one battery and go for outdoor BUT when I plug in the battery the arduino nano was not powering up.

I checked all the wires and plugs and I did not find any problems.I found that the output 5v from the regulator was 0.I searched for the regulator issues on Google and I found this topic
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...num=1272345354

SO I did check the regulator and it was dead.I bought and waited for 2 weeks for the regulator to arrive from http://www.emartee.com/ and I solder it today.

Another power issue occurred and I need some help from the gurus...

With AR6100 connected the arduino nano does not power up and the measurement from the 5v output is 1,4 volt BUT disconnecting and reconnecting the AR6100 everything is working OK.Constant 4,8 volt...

I am afraid to fly with this workaround (reconnecting the RX) and before adding an external BEC I will wait for you experts for a solution to nail this issue down...

Thank you and sorry for the long post

Aris

GREECE
Aris, you might have killed your Nano. What happens if you disconnect the drone and the AR6100 and just plug in the USB? Can you load the sketch and run SETUP mode? If that works, connect the AR6100 and check if everything is still working (during all this everything is powered from USB, don't use any other powersupply!). Once that works, disconnect USB and SETUP jumper and plug in the drone.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:37 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Dec 2004
78 Posts
Quote:
Aris, you might have killed your Nano. What happens if you disconnect the drone and the AR6100 and just plug in the USB? Can you load the sketch and run SETUP mode? If that works, connect the AR6100 and check if everything is still working (during all this everything is powered from USB, don't use any other powersupply!). Once that works, disconnect USB and SETUP jumper and plug in the drone.
Dear Miru you are fast!!Thank you!

As I wrote before the drone flies with the reconnect workaround.

Everything are working OK.

The problem is only when I am powering up the nano with 6100 on it.If I connect the 6100 2 seconds after powering up the nano its ok....

weird...I has to be something wrong with a component of the nano...

With USB everything is working great.ALSO with external BEC (I just finished testing) but i measure some voltage (aprox 4,7 volt) on rx and tx pins (is it ok?)..

Another question.Do you plan on next versions to have an option to disable the ultrasound altitude sensors ?or the SDK does not allow this?

Cheers

Aris
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:06 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisarts View Post
Dear Miru you are fast!!Thank you!

As I wrote before the drone flies with the reconnect workaround.

Everything are working OK.

The problem is only when I am powering up the nano with 6100 on it.If I connect the 6100 2 seconds after powering up the nano its ok....

weird...I has to be something wrong with a component of the nano...

With USB everything is working great.ALSO with external BEC (I just finished testing) but i measure some voltage (aprox 4,7 volt) on rx and tx pins (is it ok?)..

Another question.Do you plan on next versions to have an option to disable the ultrasound altitude sensors ?or the SDK does not allow this?

Cheers

Aris
Aris, the voltages on the RX/TX pins are ok, it is the 'idle' voltage of the link.
And as you suspected, the SDK has no 'magic' switch to turn the ultrasound sensor off, so there is nothing I can do.
I am still puzzled why your setup will not start properly with the AR6100 connected. I have two setups and never have seen that problem.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:17 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Dec 2004
78 Posts
Quote:
Aris, the voltages on the RX/TX pins are ok, it is the 'idle' voltage of the link.
And as you suspected, the SDK has no 'magic' switch to turn the ultrasound sensor off, so there is nothing I can do.
I am still puzzled why your setup will not start properly with the AR6100 connected. I have two setups and never have seen that problem.
I seems that some diode or maybe the regulator again is fried....
The current that is requested from the regulator simultaneously from the nano AND the 6100 seems to much and is causing a shutdown...

I will do more detailed bench measurements tomorrow at work (electronic engineer) and I will let you know...

Otherwise I will plug the external BEC and I will fly

Aris
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
No, I crashed my Drone into a mailbox, don't ask. Anyway when I crashed I shorted out my Nano. I am waiting on the replacement by mail. But you are correct. The drone will connect with the ground station while the TX is in FM1 before he mod starts up on the Drone. As soon as the Mod starts on the Drone, I loose the WiFi data feed.

As soon as I get the new Nano, I will apply rev 0.10 and re-test. I'll post my results.
bfnpmsz is offline Find More Posts by bfnpmsz
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:10 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
75 Posts
whats the point doing this, why just mod a quad reno board and a cheap 9x radio?
stilv is offline Find More Posts by stilv
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:12 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfnpmsz View Post
No, I crashed my Drone into a mailbox, don't ask. Anyway when I crashed I shorted out my Nano. I am waiting on the replacement by mail. But you are correct. The drone will connect with the ground station while the TX is in FM1 before he mod starts up on the Drone. As soon as the Mod starts on the Drone, I loose the WiFi data feed.

As soon as I get the new Nano, I will apply rev 0.10 and re-test. I'll post my results.
I have been scratching my head on this for a while, but have not been able to find a way to detect that connection and reestablish it when the mod gets going. So, when you are back up, try to start the ground station AFTER the mod is in control and tell me what happens.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:18 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilv View Post
whats the point doing this, why just mod a quad reno board and a cheap 9x radio?
Please, tell us more about it!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:22 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Please, tell us more about it!
let me see what i can do, i have a drone, quad reno board and spare 9x.

I'll give it to my kid when im done
stilv is offline Find More Posts by stilv
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:19 AM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,090 Posts
Pro Mini blinking

Miru,

I remember reading somewhere in this thread about this issue but can't seem to find it. I think I somehow damaged my ProMini while uploading firmware

Anyway, here is a quick question.
When I try to upload firmware, it gives me an error.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

The FTDI board does not blink green/red as usual. Tried another FTDI board and still the same.

The ProMini green led just keeps blinking.

Is there anyway to reset it? I tried pushing the reset button on it and then uploading file again. No go. Still same error.

Thanks
actionplus is offline Find More Posts by actionplus
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:09 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionplus View Post
Miru,

I remember reading somewhere in this thread about this issue but can't seem to find it. I think I somehow damaged my ProMini while uploading firmware

Anyway, here is a quick question.
When I try to upload firmware, it gives me an error.

The FTDI board does not blink green/red as usual. Tried another FTDI board and still the same.

The ProMini green led just keeps blinking.

Is there anyway to reset it? I tried pushing the reset button on it and then uploading file again. No go. Still same error.

Thanks
Check that you have the right COM port selected, my Windoz box has a different name for every FTDI board.. very confusing and not useful for what I am doing. The other trick was, to hold down the RESET button until the size message from the compiler appears.