SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
bfnpmsz, try to start your Control Tower software AFTER the mirumod is running on the drone. The mirumod companion program on the drone intercepts the NavData stream, I have not found a way to figure out that there is an existing connection to preserve it. If you start your program after the mirumod, the mirumod will ship the NavData to your program. I do edit the Navdata before shipping it, I take out the tag 16 record, it is 120 bytes all 0 and add tag 80 with GPS data only IF new GPS data is available.
I don't think your Control Tower demo is having problems with interpreting the NavData it gets, it's just not getting any after the intercept. If you can change the program, reissue the request for NavData...
I started the Control Tower Software AFTER the mirumod is running. The Control Tower software is not able to connect to the drone. If I remove the mirumod from the drone, the Control Tower Software works just fine.

The Control Tower software is a demo of the javadrone API. You can find it here: http://code.google.com/p/javadrone/
bfnpmsz is offline Find More Posts by bfnpmsz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:44 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfnpmsz View Post
I started the Control Tower Software AFTER the mirumod is running. The Control Tower software is not able to connect to the drone. If I remove the mirumod from the drone, the Control Tower Software works just fine.

The Control Tower software is a demo of the javadrone API. You can find it here: http://code.google.com/p/javadrone/
I looked at it, they don't have a Windows version I can run. Sorry I can't help you, my Java is somewhat rusty as well.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Sep 09, 2011, 05:49 PM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
Just finished reading the whole thread. Sounds like the best RC mod I have read about to date. Good work miru!

If I may ask an off topic question: I have been searching for this for awhile now, maybe I just missed it somewhere. Has anyone figured out if the ARdrone stock ESCs are PWM or I2C yet? The small and fragile motors and gear setup are about the only reason I have not bought one yet; but if the ESCs could be swapped out with standard ones and normal outrunners then I would buy one in a heart beat.

If they run off I2C, is there any reason that a standard controller could not be modded to I2C and put in there place? I have heard that the Turnigy Plush controllers are pretty easy to reflash and setup for I2C.

Again, sorry for the off topic post but this thread seemed to have best selection of people that would or could know this. If I missed a thread someplace please let me know.

Thanks!
pinball is offline Find More Posts by pinball
Old Sep 09, 2011, 06:07 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Just finished reading the whole thread. Sounds like the best RC mod I have read about to date. Good work miru!

If I may ask an off topic question: I have been searching for this for awhile now, maybe I just missed it somewhere. Has anyone figured out if the ARdrone stock ESCs are PWM or I2C yet? The small and fragile motors and gear setup are about the only reason I have not bought one yet; but if the ESCs could be swapped out with standard ones and normal outrunners then I would buy one in a heart beat.

If they run off I2C, is there any reason that a standard controller could not be modded to I2C and put in there place? I have heard that the Turnigy Plush controllers are pretty easy to reflash and setup for I2C.

Again, sorry for the off topic post but this thread seemed to have best selection of people that would or could know this. If I missed a thread someplace please let me know.

Thanks!
The motors run on a serial bus plus 2 wires each for signaling, no I2C nor PWM. You might want to contact MAPGPS, I don't know how far he got with that project.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 06:40 PM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
Thanks for the info miru! I'll get in touch with him.
pinball is offline Find More Posts by pinball
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
The transmitter arrive in the mail today. Tested it. It works. Measured current is only 3.6ma from the 3V button battery. I should be able to drive that from the arduino pin9. But I don't know if 5V will blow it up or not since all components are covered and I can't tell what they are. I can create a voltage divider with a couple of resistors or I can close my eyes and test it directly from a 5V power supply and hope for the best... Suggestions?
It turned out that when I designed the high intensity white LED circuit, the voltage across the the LEDs is 3.08V and that would be perfect supply for the RF transmitter. I simply hookup the RF Tx in parallel with the LEDs as shown in the sketch. Bench test showed the current draw from the RF Tx is still 3.6ma and the voltage across the LEDs is still 3V.

Rig up a power connection plug to replace the button battery:

Complete unit valcroed just behind ardrone's battery, plug the power adopter and ready to fly.

Here's video from the outdoor test. You may have to turn up the volume to hear my RC timer beeping:

AR Drone mirumod - Low Battery Alert LED + RF Link Test (1 min 20 sec)

I also tested the setup with pin9 flashing the white LEDs. Results were not encouraging since switch the RF Tx on and off rapidly would cause the RC Tx frequency to drift by more than +/- 30 kHz.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:41 AM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
RF Low Bat Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
It turned out that when I designed the high intensity white LED circuit, the voltage across the the LEDs is 3.08V and that would be perfect supply for the RF transmitter. I simply hookup the RF Tx in parallel with the LEDs as shown in the sketch. Bench test showed the current draw from the RF Tx is still 3.6ma and the voltage across the LEDs is still 3V.
rapidly would cause the RC Tx frequency to drift by more than +/- 30 kHz.
Dear Candu1

Very good idea how to reduce the supply voltage for your RF Low Bat Alert system by bypassing with your LED!
However, with the new FreeFlight App V1.9. with acoustic Low Bat Alert on your iDevice there is now no more need for a second Alert System (if you are within the WiFi Range of the Drone!)

Please make a range comparison test of your RF System verus iDevice.

Perhaps Miru could provide us a second port for your RF Alert System (continous signal) , because blinking LEDs are better to notice.

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
UFO Doctor is offline Find More Posts by UFO Doctor
Last edited by UFO Doctor; Sep 11, 2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Update
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
VLBA Outdoor test 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Candu1

Very good idea how to reduce the supply voltage for your RF Low Bat Alert system by bypassing with your LED!
However, with the new FreeFlight App V1.9. with acoustic Low Bat Alert on your iDevice there is now no more need for a second Alert System (if you are within the WiFi Range of the Drone!)

Please make a range comparison test of your RF System verus iDevice.

Perhaps Miru could provide us a second port for your RF Alert System (continous signal) , because blinking LEDs are better to notice.

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
As you can see from the video below (captured this morning's VLBA test2), the solid white LED is not as easy to notice as that of a flashing LED. Although it is not that clear in the video, I was able to see it when the alert was first sounded. But I was concentrating on it. So in a normal casual flight, most likely I'd have missed it.

Audio low battery alert was available from other apps before FreeFlight V1.9 and I was using it before I did the mirumod. However, on my iTouch, even with the volume control to max, it was difficult to hear it. With the motor noise in an enclosed room, the audio alert was completely masked by the motor noise. I also tried the audio LB alert on FreeFlight V1.9 and my iTouch volume is still quite low.

The volume control on my pocket UHF radio was set to 3/4 full and as can be heard in the video, it is quite laud.

This video could be quite boring since I tried to maintain a hover at altitude waiting for the VLBA to get triggered. I had the trigger set at 25% so I was trying to fly it back to the parking lot but... You can see the UHF transmitter as installed in the ardrone.

Yes, I plan to do a range test when my spotter is available.

AR Drone - Low Battery Alert Test (6 min 3 sec)

This video was captured by an 808#11 key ring camera valcroed to my baseball cap.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:18 PM
Deutschland, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Hello Dronemans,
here I have a short Video, how to fire up the barbecue, when there is no wind...

AR Drone RC modified, onfirering the barbecue... (3 min 34 sec)

Greetings from Germany, Matthias
MathiewH is offline Find More Posts by MathiewH
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:54 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
D/R Switch - Land/Indoor/Outdoor

Hi all, Ive searched the thread about using the dual rate switch on my DX7...

Does the REV 0.09 code support the D/R switch? I guess what Im looking for is a function like:
Switch Low Land
Switch Mid Fly in Indoor Mode
Switch High Fly in Outdoor Mode

Any help is appreciated.

Great thread people
habanero000 is offline Find More Posts by habanero000
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:08 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero000 View Post
Hi all, I’ve searched the thread about using the dual rate switch on my DX7...

Does the REV 0.09 code support the D/R switch? I guess what I’m looking for is a function like:
Switch Low – Land
Switch Mid – Fly in Indoor Mode
Switch High – Fly in Outdoor Mode

Any help is appreciated.

Great thread people
The DX7 is my reference, just take the sketch 'as is' and you will have LAND/FM1/FM2 down/middle/up on the side switch top left. Make sure you READ the README file and, at least, follow the SETUP section or follow the great tutorial UFO-DOCTOR published on this!
Last edited by miru; Sep 13, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:26 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
AR.Pro

First off I have to say again how much I love this mod!

Does anyone else have an issue using AR.Pro for video and nav data with the Miru mod plugged in? It is my app of choice to fly without my RC but when I start up with it plugged in it stays on the " Drone found - connecting " stage forever.

Just wondering if this is a known issue or something unique to my setup?
text12 is offline Find More Posts by text12
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I looked at it, they don't have a Windows version I can run. Sorry I can't help you, my Java is somewhat rusty as well.
Miru,

I did a little testing and let me share what I found.

I start the AR.Drone while the Flight Mode switch is in FM_1. The Drone pauses and waits for the Flight Mode switch to be set to Land. While the drone is waiting, I start the Control Tower java software. Control Tower starts up and connects to the AR.DRone. I see video and NavData. Everything so far looks good.

Now I set the flight mode to LAND. The LED on my nano never stops single flashing. it just continues to flash. The Mod never starts the fast flashing on the nano.

If I stop the Control Tower software at this time. The nano LED goes solid right away, the motor LED's flash 4 times and the fast flash on the nano LED starts.

I have tried all kinds of start up sequences without much success. I think the code on line 1381 "if (rx_read() & S_SIG) break;" may be the culprit.

What do you think? I would like to have a Ground station other than a iPhone.

Thanks for your help.
bfnpmsz is offline Find More Posts by bfnpmsz
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:41 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfnpmsz View Post
Miru,

I did a little testing and let me share what I found.

I start the AR.Drone while the Flight Mode switch is in FM_1. The Drone pauses and waits for the Flight Mode switch to be set to Land. While the drone is waiting, I start the Control Tower java software. Control Tower starts up and connects to the AR.DRone. I see video and NavData. Everything so far looks good.
Now I set the flight mode to LAND. The LED on my nano never stops single flashing. it just continues to flash. The Mod never starts the fast flashing on the nano.
If I stop the Control Tower software at this time. The nano LED goes solid right away, the motor LED's flash 4 times and the fast flash on the nano LED starts.
I have tried all kinds of start up sequences without much success. I think the code on line 1381 "if (rx_read() & S_SIG) break;" may be the culprit.

What do you think? I would like to have a Ground station other than a iPhone.

Thanks for your help.
You have to wait to start the Control Tower java software until the mod has put itself into place. So, put your flight mode switch into LAND, start up the drone AND the mod, THEN start the Control Tower.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
What's the newest version
Rcxracing is offline Find More Posts by Rcxracing