HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:33 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfnpmsz View Post
I have added the RC mod to my AR Drone and am running version 009 without troubles. I want to add a ground station other than my Android phone. I found a API called JavaDrone with a demo called Control Tower. It displays video along with NavData on my PC. That's great!

I tested it this morning with v009 and the video and NavData does not come through. I tested ControlTower without v009 in the control loop and everything works fine. When I start the Drone with v009 and my Arduino, I get only a very short video and no NavData.

I think the problem is that the NavData packet is now longer and Control Tower does not know what to do with the data.

I am not using a GPS at this time. Can the GPS portion of the NavData be disabled?

What I would prefer to do is change the Control Tower demo to accept the new length for the NavData. I am looking into that now.

If you have any suggestions, I would be glad to listen to them.

BTW, if you know of a ground station that does work with the AR Drone, I would be glad to test it.
bfnpmsz, try to start your Control Tower software AFTER the mirumod is running on the drone. The mirumod companion program on the drone intercepts the NavData stream, I have not found a way to figure out that there is an existing connection to preserve it. If you start your program after the mirumod, the mirumod will ship the NavData to your program. I do edit the Navdata before shipping it, I take out the tag 16 record, it is 120 bytes all 0 and add tag 80 with GPS data only IF new GPS data is available.
I don't think your Control Tower demo is having problems with interpreting the NavData it gets, it's just not getting any after the intercept. If you can change the program, reissue the request for NavData...
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:37 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,270 Posts
Quote:
UFO Doc,

I have the same issue with the Parrot AR.Freeflight app on my droid. As soon as I start up Miru v009, the video ends along with the Nav data. I'll test again just to make sure. Thanks for the input.
see: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=826
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:37 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
New firmware 1.7.6 released by Parrot

AR Drone firmware 1.7.6 has been released along with Free Flight version 1.9.1 and is available for download. This release fixed bugs on the motor board and made improvement in live video streaming.

I installed it and did a quick indoor test on one battery worth using AR Free Flight and another battery worth on mirumod. So far all seems to be working as they should. Have not tried the video with mirumod running. Would be interesting to see if there are improvements.

However, my rubber mat mystery is still there with the new firmware version. miru had assisted me (I think it's the other way around!) in trying to get to the bottom of this mystery by providing a modified version of the mirumod sketch such that I was able to monitor what the ardrone and mirumod are saying during the startup process. miru and I believe we've solved the mystery and miru was able to duplicate it on his ardrone (using a photo of my rubber mat of all things!!).

I will share the information here in the next couple of days if there are enough interests.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Last edited by Candu1; Sep 06, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:00 PM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
wow! the bottom cam reads the pattern in the mat as binary =)

I see a better frame-rate on my iPhone4 with the new firmware -
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:56 AM
Denmark (Europe)
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
AR Drone firmware 1.7.6 has been released along with Free Flight version 1.9.1 and is available for download. This release fixed bugs on the motor board and made improvement in live video streaming.

I installed it and did a quick indoor test on one battery worth using AR Free Flight and another battery worth on mirumod. So far all seems to be working as they should. Have not tried the video with mirumod running. Would be interesting to see if there are improvements.

However, my rubber mat mystery is still there with the new firmware version. miru had assisted me (I think it's the other way around!) in trying to get to the bottom of this mystery by providing a modified version of the mirumod sketch such that I was able to monitor what the ardrone and mirumod are saying during the startup process. miru and I believe we've solved the mystery and miru was able to duplicate it on his ardrone (using a photo of my rubber mat of all things!!).

I will share the information here in the next couple of days if there are enough interests.
Candu1 and Miru. Im following this issue with great interrest. As Im travelling I have flown my 2 Miru mods in more than 100 different locations and there are some strange things going on in the way the Drone reads the "floor" because of the camera and maybe because of the altitude censors? I have a large piece of carpet which I use as a take-off / landing platform wherever I fly, so even this is the excact same every time I fly, the Drone sometimes get "confused". First thought was that it was because of the light, but that theori has proven wrong maybe humidity or dust on the carpet affect the camera and censors. It is all leading the thoughts back to the old flying-over-grass issue which was otherwise fixed with the great Miru's Position-hold-excluding-Switch. The rubber mat issue is really interresting. I havent had problems with the startup process though from my takeoff carpet, but even flying with the position-hold function off the Drone can sometime get out of control when switching to Land...
Anyway I will follow your results closely with great interrest:-)
TlPro is offline Find More Posts by TlPro
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:13 AM
wmw
Germany, BY, R
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
Firmware 1.7.6

Quote:

Hi candu1,
Where did you get the 1.7.6 because on the Parrot Servicepage only 1.7.4 is available and the firmware update feature in DroneControl also doesn't show it

Cheers
Max
wmw is offline Find More Posts by wmw
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:20 AM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Update FreeFlight and it will ask you to update the firmware when you connect to the drone.
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Candu1
Thank you for your comment!
The encapsulation in Fig. 33 covers the upper part of the drone plug only. Take care that the epoxy does not drop onto the main board! I shall add a comment in the tutorial.

Please describe your 3V transmitter for low battery alert. It sounds very interesting.

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
The transmitter arrive in the mail today. Tested it. It works. Measured current is only 3.6ma from the 3V button battery. I should be able to drive that from the arduino pin9. But I don't know if 5V will blow it up or not since all components are covered and I can't tell what they are. I can create a voltage divider with a couple of resistors or I can close my eyes and test it directly from a 5V power supply and hope for the best... Suggestions?

Before doing anything, I'm going to fly a range test using the 3V button battery.

Last edited by Candu1; Sep 07, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmw View Post
Hi candu1,
Where did you get the 1.7.6 because on the Parrot Servicepage only 1.7.4 is available and the firmware update feature in DroneControl also doesn't show it

Cheers
Max
From Apples' apps store. It is included with the Free Flight app.

Also, people from other forum warned that version 1.7.6 is not reversible. ie, you can not restore back to an older firmware version.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:12 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,270 Posts
Quote:
From Apples' apps store. It is included with the Free Flight app.

Also, people from other forum warned that version 1.7.6 is not reversible. ie, you can not restore back to an older firmware version.
Do they say why?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Do they say why?
Nope, no reasons given. Too early to tell. See:

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/...482e8b6968f3d4
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Mystery startup problem solved

Quote:

The startup problem was first identified in post #772. Through a series of testing and process of elimination, as documented in subsequent posts, post #791 finally concluded that my rubber mat was the cause of the startup problem. However, the reason why wasn't clear.

Even thought I have also concluded that mirumod was not the cause, miru was still curious whether his on board program "at2so.arm" was loaded and running after the startup failed. Poking around in the drone didn't give us any conclusive answers. Miru decided to create a special version of the sketch so we can monitor the startup activities of the drone from the console output by tapping on to the drone's TXo line.

Following another series of test with the drone on and off the rubber mat and analysing the activities from both the drone and the mirumod, we came to a conclusion that the drone's imaging software was having difficulties when seeing a repetitive pattern.

I was prepared to buy a different colour rubber mat from the local Dollar Store to determine if it was the colour,pattern, or texture of the material that confuses the drone's imaging software. But miru suggested that I simply show my drone a picture of the rubber mat. I did and it saved me a dollar (didn't have to buy another mat). I emailed the picture to miru to let his drone have a look. Miru confirmed that his drone was also very much interested in looking at my rubber mat picture. His drone was so busy looking at my rubber mat picture that it forgets to do what it supposed to do, like loading miru's "at2so.arm", etc.

Miru also generated another picture with 1/4" squares that was also able to confuse his drone. However, when I tried the same picture on my drone, it wasn't interest in it. It started up OK.

We suspect that other repetitive patterns (grass, interlock patio bricks, etc) could potentially confuse the drone. It would depend on what the drone was doing at the time to know how it would react.

That's about all I could remember from the long weekend and miru can fill in more details if I have missed any.

Here are the pictures that we used for testing. We'd be interested if other drones react to these pictures the same way.

Picture of my rubber mat:

Miru's square pattern:

Last edited by Candu1; Sep 07, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
cOk, I did a little testing. I was mistaken, the Android app works fine. The video feed is a little laggy, about 2 seconds. I think that is a function of my phone, a HTC Aria. Not a very powerful smartphone.

I then tested the Java ControlTower app and still had an issue with getting the nav data. If I remove the miru mod everything works fine. Don't know what the problem is, but something is not correct.
bfnpmsz is offline Find More Posts by bfnpmsz
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:04 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,270 Posts
Quote:
cOk, I did a little testing. I was mistaken, the Android app works fine. The video feed is a little laggy, about 2 seconds. I think that is a function of my phone, a HTC Aria. Not a very powerful smartphone.

I then tested the Java ControlTower app and still had an issue with getting the nav data. If I remove the miru mod everything works fine. Don't know what the problem is, but something is not correct.
Please read my answer to your problem and tell us what you found. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=826
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:13 PM
France, IdF, Chātillon
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Hi all,
Now that this mod is getting more and more popular, we're getting more and more questions. For my side mainly from the french community. I'm glad that we have a valuable french support with Lorenzo ! Anyway, I 'm planning to translate UFO Doctors tutorials for the french members who sometimes have issues with english documents..
Thanks to all for the informations grabbed all along this thread, and special Thanks to Doctor UFO for providing me his sources and support to finalize this 2 firsts Documents.

I'll add the next documents as soon as they 'll be available !
[French Mode On]
Les Tutoriaux du Doctor UFO sont donc en cours de traduction grące ą son support.
Les 2 premiers volets sont disponibles :
Tuto en Francais Partie 1

Tuto en Francais Partie 2
[French Mode Off]

Thanks & kind regards.

Totoff
Totoff is offline Find More Posts by Totoff