HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:00 AM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Candu1 mystery (Mat below drone does not let start the drone)

Check Drone with HyperTerminal

Candu1 mystery (Mat below drone does not let start the drone)

If your drone does not start up properly, please check the uploading of the standard program (without Miru Mod!) with a HyperTerminal:

Miru told me this:
- Connect the FTDI board with the drone connector
- FTDI RX <--------- TX Drone
- FTDI TX --4K7--> RX Drone
- FTDI GND -------- GND Drone

See the attached photo: there are also 1 Ohm resistors inserted in RX and GND lines in order to check the currents. Be not confused by the cable crossing: I was so stupid to mix up RX with TX!, I am getting old, I know.

You will receive a long report; in case of malfunctions it tells you the problem.
In my case, the front camera was broken and disabled the full start-up.

Candu1 showed us a mystic problem with a mat below the drone:

“It's a non slip type of material you can pick up for a dollar at the Dollar store. It's normally used to line your draws to prevent contents from rolling around but I use it on my work bench so small parts such as screws, nuts, circlips!, etc. would stay in place.”

What could be the reasons for the malfunction with the mat below the drone?

- Ultrasonic malfunction, not enough echo?
- Vertical camera not enough contrast?
- Absorption/reflection of the drone WiFi RF signal?
- Another mystery?

Nobody knows it yet, but the HyperTerminal can tell it, as I hope.
Here you see the listing of a good ardrone, with green LEDs finally .

http://ufo-doctor.ch/descriptions/Pa...%20ardrone.pdf

Good luck
UFO Doctor
UFO Doctor is offline Find More Posts by UFO Doctor
Last edited by UFO Doctor; Sep 03, 2011 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Listing added
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:30 PM
Deutschland, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Hello Miru, UFO,
Thats a fantastic way to check the drone!
So it could be possible to find the malfunction of my drone, which I have described before? Hyperterminal can show me which motor is not ok? Instead of changing manually what I have done?
Thanks for this,
Greetings from Germany Matthias
MathiewH is offline Find More Posts by MathiewH
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:56 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
- Connect the FTDI board with the drone connector
- FTDI RX <--------- TX Drone
- FTDI TX --4K7--> RX Drone
- FTDI GND -------- GND Drone
I will make a cable. It will come in handy for trouble-shooting. My problem is the ardrone's 2.0 mm connector. Just can't seem to come up with that $10.00 shipping charges for a $0.98 part. What I did for the mirumod plug was to get a single row female 2.0 mm header pin (also hard to get) that I cut, sand, and glue together to make it fit.

Now, my Start UP mystery is over.

From additional tests so far (some were suggested by Dr UFO) proved without any doubt that the problem is the down facing camera's interaction with my rubber mat. Here's where Dr UFO's cable would be useful in determining how the camera 'sees' the mat and how it interpret what it sees.

This conclusion is valid also with the mirumod disconnected. With the iTouch, it will report back a control error message.

Here are the additional tests I did to confirm my conclusion I have the pictures if my descriptions are not clear but didn't want to take up too much space on miru's thread:
- ardrone on soft surface (OK)
- ardrone on hard surface (OK)
- white paper between mat and ardrone's camera (but not under sonic sensor) (OK)
- white paper between mat and ardrone's ultrasonic sensor (but not camera) (Failed)
- Black tape on ultra ultrasonic sensors (OK)
- Black tape on camera (OK) !!
- ardrone on mat in total darkness (OK)
- ardrone on mat with room light on (Failed)
- ardrone on mat with room light off, desk lamp on (OK or failed) depending on the location of the desk top light.

Now this test was done to see why I was having this problem recently and not when I first made the mirumod: I raised the rubber mat by an inch or so to offset the added height from my recently modified landing gear using cable ties. Start up process OK!!! It probably easier if I include the photo for this one. The photo doesn't show it but there is a gap between the bottom of the ardrone and the mat. You can also see the cable tie landing gear raised the ardrone off the ground by an inch or so. Good for take-off from grass.

That means the distance from the down facing camera to the rubber mat also matters.

Trouble-shooting this problem was almost as fun as flying the ardrone with mirumod! Wondering if this can duplicated by someone else.

Sorry miru for taking up so much space on your thread but this was initially thought was a software bug. But I should have known better since your coding style is excellent!
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Last edited by Candu1; Sep 02, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:07 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
Sorry miru for taking up so much space on your thread but this was initially thought was a software bug. But I should have known better since your coding style is excellent!
No problem, thanks for sharing the experience! I do like the exended landing gear of yours, where did you find the 'stiff' tiewraps?
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; Sep 02, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:15 PM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
718 Posts
trans distance

hi all been following this thread with interest, I have a drone and use my i touch to controll it but hope to go to rc when and if I win the lotto!!! just to say as a long time rc modeller I keep at least 3 feet distance between my transmitter and reciever at start up as if it is too close it can misfire!!!!and not connect properly...keep up the good work

urs (switzerland)
urs is offline Find More Posts by urs
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
No problem, thanks for sharing the experience! I do like the exended landing gear of yours, where did you find the 'stiff' tiewraps?
I purchased the releasable tiewraps from a local hardware store (Home Depot?). I like the added ground clearance and its ability to absorb hard landings. It has already proved itself from an emergency descent (not emergency shut off) from 41 feet onto interlocking brick patio. (It went out of sight after the wind took it over the house). The front 2 tiewrap loops collapsed from the hard landing but nothing else was damaged. This is one mod that I highly recommend.

Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:15 AM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello,

for your information i have an AR.Drone with Miru Mod working fantastically for many months now... and, i have a friend trying to do the Mod, unfortunately he doesn't live close to my place, and it's Mod doesn't work properly.

After few seconds of flying, from 10 seconds to 180 seconds, it's variable, the Drone stops and lands hardly...

My friend tried with two RX, a Hitec 41MHZ receiver (with a hitec Optic 6 TX) and with a 2.4 GHZ Corona RX, same symptoms with both RX

The test on the hyper terminal is ok, excepted a strange line displayed in addition of the conventional channel display. This line appears on this display as well after 10 or 180 seconds. It's why, we are wondering if it's a sign of malfunctioning. And if it is, what's the clue to solve it ?

Below, please, you can see this added line in two different versions :

Thank's for all... Miru mod Rocks !

Regards.

LD
Lorenzo29 is offline Find More Posts by Lorenzo29
Old Sep 03, 2011, 04:15 AM
Deutschland, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Hello Candu1,
I have soldered the Mirumod cables directly to the pins of the mainboard of the drone, 1inch away the cables have solid connectors. I this way I have no more problems with broken pins of the tiny connector...
Next time I will make a diagnose cable for the drone, its a wondrful idea!
MathiewH is offline Find More Posts by MathiewH
Old Sep 03, 2011, 07:40 AM
wmw
Germany, BY, R
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
issue with Drone

Hi to all,
I'm Max from Germany and up to yesterday, I flew a Drone with RC kit (containing Miru-Mod V008);
After landing (softly) yesterday, I wanted to make some new flights today, but Drone motors start only for a few seconds, that's it;
unplugging the Rx and trying to fly with DroneControl was either the same or there was a message on the Ipad Display " motors blocked", but all four of them are turning quite easy by hands, no blocking can be feeled;
as anybody can imagine, I'm a little helpless now

There was also no crash or damage before

cheers
Max
wmw is offline Find More Posts by wmw
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:35 AM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Setup Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo29 View Post
Hello,

for your information i have an AR.Drone with Miru Mod working fantastically for many months now... and, i have a friend trying to do the Mod, unfortunately he doesn't live close to my place, and it's Mod doesn't work properly.

After few seconds of flying, from 10 seconds to 180 seconds, it's variable, the Drone stops and lands hardly...

My friend tried with two RX, a Hitec 41MHZ receiver (with a hitec Optic 6 TX) and with a 2.4 GHZ Corona RX, same symptoms with both RX

The test on the hyper terminal is ok, excepted a strange line displayed in addition of the conventional channel display. This line appears on this display as well after 10 or 180 seconds. It's why, we are wondering if it's a sign of malfunctioning. And if it is, what's the clue to solve it ?

Below, please, you can see this added line in two different versions :

Thank's for all... Miru mod Rocks !

Regards.

LD
Dear Lorenzo29

It could be that your friend has a SETUP problem.
Check first his TX/RX Remote Control system:

- Gear up/down: A two position switch?
- Flap up/down: A two position switch?

If not, consult the README of Miru.

If yes, your friend may use our Miru Mod Tutorial for DX6i, Part 1
http://ufo-doctor.ch/descriptions/Pa...art%201_V8.pdf

He should follow every step on page 4, 5 and 6
In addition, he should check the min/max values for all 6 channels (within about +/- 1000, but not more than +/-1200)

Good luck
UFO Doctor
Last edited by UFO Doctor; Sep 03, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:42 AM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Motor blocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmw View Post
Hi to all,
I'm Max from Germany and up to yesterday, I flew a Drone with RC kit (containing Miru-Mod V008);
After landing (softly) yesterday, I wanted to make some new flights today, but Drone motors start only for a few seconds, that's it;
unplugging the Rx and trying to fly with DroneControl was either the same or there was a message on the Ipad Display " motors blocked", but all four of them are turning quite easy by hands, no blocking can be feeled;
as anybody can imagine, I'm a little helpless now

There was also no crash or damage before

cheers
Max
Dear Max
Check first if ALL motors rotate for a few seconds.
It one is not rotating, you have localized the bad guy and you should replace it!
Kind regards
UFO Doctor
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiewH View Post
Hello Candu1,
I have soldered the Mirumod cables directly to the pins of the mainboard of the drone, 1inch away the cables have solid connectors. I this way I have no more problems with broken pins of the tiny connector...
Next time I will make a diagnose cable for the drone, its a wondrful idea!

I assume you must have another way to disconnect the arduino from the ardrone since you need to be disconnected to be able to test with hyperterm, or perform mirumod versions upgrade, or fly with an iDevice.

Did you put in another more common type of inline connector?
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Avid View Post
Hi Candu,

The receiver and Arduino are glued to the top of the plexi and the satellite is glued underneath. The Plexi case is held in place with a small bungee hooked on two screws; to remove I simply pull the bungee from one of the screws. The whole thing has a connector so it is easy to remove it for upgrading and debugging. Yes it fits in the hull but I had to trim a bit the inside (a few mils) to accommodate the receiver's edges.

Ciao, Jacques
Hi All,

Finally, I did not like very much my previous mod; putting the Arduino, receiver on top of the battery, because it is difficult to change batteries. I went back to my original idea of putting the Arduino on the Drone's board, this time putting extra space in-between the boards to avoid interference. Also, the satellite is now inserted in the foam casing at the head of the Drone. This way the Drone is balanced the Mod is invisible and it is easy to change batteries.
Enjoy, Jacques.
Doc_Avid is offline Find More Posts by Doc_Avid
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:36 PM
wmw
Germany, BY, R
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Dear Max
Check first if ALL motors rotate for a few seconds.
It one is not rotating, you have localized the bad guy and you should replace it!
Kind regards
UFO Doctor
all four are working, there's nothing which can be seen

Max
wmw is offline Find More Posts by wmw
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:17 PM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Very strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmw View Post
all four are working, there's nothing which can be seen

Max
Dear Max

Do I understand you correctly that all your 4 motors are running for a few seconds but stop, giving on i-device the alert „Motor blocked“?
Did you push the alarm-reset on your i-device?
Did you try to push the reset button of your ardrone?
Are you sure that you have a fully charged Lipo?
This looks very strange to me, but miracles cannot be excluded in our daily life!
Get another ardrone und compare!
Kind regards and good luck
UFO Doctor