SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Candu1

Your LEDs are realy bright (in side view, too) and your circuit is optimal.

I have added some fotos to the summary of the 5 Miru Mod Tutorials to offer a better overview.

Kind regards
UFU Doctor
Yes they are much brighter than standard LEDs. Here is a couple of outdoor shots:

Side view:

I think I'll change my sketch to have them flash - change it back when I receive my RF transmitter. But don't expect too much in bright sunlights, especially from the side.

Just a caution note if you're leaving your lipo connected for too long a period after it performed a low voltage landing - like what I did trying to take that never ending one more picture. Lipo doesn't like to get discharged too low. One of the cell voltage was so low that it gives an error in my cell voltage indicator. I think its OK after I balance charged it with a low charge current instead of the usual 1A.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Last edited by Candu1; Aug 23, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
All your 4 theories are possible. My original installation was with the rx inside the foam in the tail section (close to the ardone's wifi antennas). I was experiencing intermitten control problems. I suspect it was because of the rx is so close to the ardrone's wifi antenna. I have since moved the rx to the front of the ardrone. In your pictures, the two strips of copper traces are the ardone's wifi antennas. There are two more on the back of the board.

You rx's LED's blinking is an indication of a request to bind. It happened to me when I was changing connections on the rx. I start removing connectors on the rx one at a time until the LED becomes solid. You may want to try that as a first step. I would do it using your zterm grounding pin 10 routine rather than connecting to your ardrone.

If all else fails then try replacing boards but so far, I have found my problems were not related to faulty boards although I have try to blame them several times!

Good luck.

PS - I also discovered that if any one of the channel wire is disconnected between the rx and arduino, then the arduino will refused to take control even the startup flashes appeared to be normal.
Hi all and thanks to those who helped. The problem was interference from the Drone board and possibly WiFi. I repositioned the Arduino, receiver and satellite on top of the LiPo and everything works very well. This configuration keeps the Drone well balanced.

Best, Jacques.
Doc_Avid is offline Find More Posts by Doc_Avid
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:48 PM
Joined Jul 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Avid View Post
Hi all and thanks to those who helped. The problem was interference from the Drone board and possibly WiFi. I repositioned the Arduino, receiver and satellite on top of the LiPo and everything works very well. This configuration keeps the Drone well balanced.

Best, Jacques.
Glad it worked out for you. Your new mount looks interesting. Can you show a bit more details as how the piece of plexiglass is attached to the battery platform? This may be the answer I've been looking for to mount my low battery alarm transmitter. Also, does the hull still fit ?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Glad it worked out for you. Your new mount looks interesting. Can you show a bit more details as how the piece of plexiglass is attached to the battery platform? This may be the answer I've been looking for to mount my low battery alarm transmitter. Also, does the hull still fit ?
Hi Candu,

The receiver and Arduino are glued to the top of the plexi and the satellite is glued underneath. The Plexi case is held in place with a small bungee hooked on two screws; to remove I simply pull the bungee from one of the screws. The whole thing has a connector so it is easy to remove it for upgrading and debugging. Yes it fits in the hull but I had to trim a bit the inside (a few mils) to accommodate the receiver's edges.

Ciao, Jacques
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamath View Post
I'm using a airplane type, and 2.03 firmware.... What firmware y have?
I'm using 2.02. I guess 2.03 probably fixes the AUX1 problem but I read it is buggy; trims are reversed.

ciao.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 02:57 PM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Very important info

Quote:

Just a caution note if you're leaving your lipo connected for too long a period after it performed a low voltage landing - like what I did trying to take that never ending one more picture. Lipo doesn't like to get discharged too low. One of the cell voltage was so low that it gives an error in my cell voltage indicator. I think its OK after I balance charged it with a low charge current instead of the usual 1A.
Dear Candu1
This info is really very important: Disconnect the Lipo battery after landing as soon as possible!

Wait for cooling down, after this recharge the lipo!

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
UFO Doctor is offline Find More Posts by UFO Doctor
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:00 PM
Deutschland, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Hello Miru and UFO-Doctor, thx for the Great Job you have done!!
Here are 3 links of 3 little videos with my modified Drone

AR. Drone, RC modified, with GoPro Hero HD, short evening flight (2 min 15 sec)

https://service.gmx.net/de/cgi/deref...e_gdata_player

I hope you like it...

Best greetings from Germany
Matthias
MathiewH is offline Find More Posts by MathiewH
Last edited by MathiewH; Aug 24, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Dear Candu1
This info is really very important: Disconnect the Lipo battery after landing as soon as possible!

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
Very good advice from UFO Doctor. I just wasn't thinking when trying to capture that last pictures. That battery seems to have recovered but I have to be more careful next time.

I've just changed the sketch to have pin9 to provide a high and flashing output to drive these two high intensity white LEDs. Here's a video. This time, I used my retired lipo that can not keep the ardrone up more than 30 seconds before triggering the low battery alert. Ideal battery for the test! I'll do an outdoor test this coming weekend.

AR DRONE Miru RC Mod. - Test Low Battery LED Flash alert (0 min 23 sec)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Jul 2011
281 Posts
Earth curvature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiewH View Post
Hello Miru and UFO-Doctor, thx for the Great Job you have done!!
Here are 3 links of 3 little videos with my modified Drone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34UcgzGdwcc

I hope you like it...

Best greetings from Germany
Matthias
The GoPro is an interesting camera. All the videos I've seen taken from this camera seems to be super stable - whether the ardrone was controlled by RC or iDevices. The other interesting observation from these three videos is that the curvature of the horizon seems to change with the ardone's up and down motion. When the ardrone descends, the curve seems to be more severe. When the ardrone ascends, the curvature seems to flatten out. Wondering what is causing this change.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 02:59 AM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
FlightRecord single pictures show NAV data upside down

I have now installed on iPhone 4 the new FreeFlight 1.9 with software 1.74 and FlightRecord 1.6.1.

Videos with video codec VLIB are well displayed (P246 is bad, if the drone is moving)

P246 should be used if the drone is controlled by iPhone at large distances, but with the Miru Mod the control is done by the standard RC such as Spektrum

My small problem: Single pictures show NAV data upside down!

Has somebody an advice how to overcome this malfunction?

Thank you and kind regards
UFO Doctor
Last edited by UFO Doctor; Aug 25, 2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:01 AM
Deutschland, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Dear Candu1

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
Quote:
The GoPro is an interesting camera. All the videos I've seen taken from this camera seems to be super stable - whether the ardrone was controlled by RC or iDevices. The other interesting observation from these three videos is that the curvature of the horizon seems to change with the ardone's up and down motion. When the ardrone descends, the curve seems to be more severe. When the ardrone ascends, the curvature seems to flatten out. Wondering what is causing this change.
Hello Candu1,
the GoPro Hero Cam has a ultra wide angle lens like a fisheye, its normal that the horizion changes the curviature, if the horizion is not in the middle.
It happens the same, if you use a Key Chain Spy Cam with extra fisheye lens,
My cam was not fixed total flat to the horizion, looking more to the ground, perhaps therefore your "wonderings"...
Greetings Matthias
MathiewH is offline Find More Posts by MathiewH
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:40 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,328 Posts
Quote:
I could turn the output off after it has landed or the percentage becomes negative...
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; Aug 25, 2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:07 PM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Fantastic Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I could turn the output off after it has landed or the percentage becomes negative...
Dear Miru

This is a fantastic idea, but how can you stop the current flowing from lipo to drone by software only?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:01 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Dear Miru

This is a fantastic idea, but how can you stop the current flowing from lipo to drone by software only?
I would just turn off the VLBA output with the high current LEDs to preserve the lipo longer. If the drone is not flying, it can run for quite some time on the remaining charge. I don't know yet if the hardware can be turned off like in a regular Linux system on a PC (ACPI).
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
The VLBA LED consumption is not the main problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I would just turn off the VLBA output with the high current LEDs to preserve the lipo longer. If the drone is not flying, it can run for quite some time on the remaining charge. I don't know yet if the hardware can be turned off like in a regular Linux system on a PC (ACPI).
Dear Miru

The current consumption of the VLBA (20mA) is the minor problem.
The drone itself consums after landing still about 300mA.
And this consumption should be stopped to give the lipo a longer life!

At present, I see only a n-typ 10 A MOSFET in series between Lipo and Drone, controlled by the Ardunio with new Miru software

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
Last edited by UFO Doctor; Aug 26, 2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Current is higher!