SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:48 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bledi View Post
My baudrate is 38400.
I had make a change on my GPS to have only GGA.
With the GPS directly on hyperterm, I have a refresh rate of 1hz. The timestamp increment correctly by 1.
Via setup mode I have the datas but the reflesh is not ok
Bledi, I think I found the problem. The setup and run loops of the program run at 25 Hz and the data coming in from the GPS is processed once per loop cycle (40 ms). The raw GPS receive buffer holds 31 bytes, if you are running at 38400 the GPS can send ~154 bytes per cycle and this will bust the buffer... For now, see if you can lower the baudrate to something that will not overflow the buffer, e.g 4800 baud.
The other thing you could do is to up the buffer size so it can hold 160 bytes. However that will cost precious SRAM space. Since I am on the road right now, I can't try it out, but will when I get back home by the end of next week. For the impatient... in rev 0.09 the buffer is declared on line 176, change the 32 to 160. Be prepared for strange things to happen if there is not enough SRAM...
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; Aug 20, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined Jul 2011
240 Posts
Excellent thank you big boss ! I tryed to change the baud rate but it doesn't work (the problem is on my GPS its baud rate can not be change). I will try to change the buffer to confirm !
Bledi is offline Find More Posts by Bledi
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Miru Mod with DX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Consult the README, section SETUP...
Hi Miru, Thanks for the fast reply.
I must have read the readme 10 times!

The problems:
- The Arduino does not seem to connect correctly and control the AR-Drone; I have however succeded only once to start the Drone but lost control after.
- When I connect power to the Drone the Arduino green led lights up and seems to get through the normal motions. The orange led on receiver and satellite are solid on. The LED on the Drone start red and eventually go Green.
- But after a few seconds, the orange LED on the receiver and satellite start to blink as if in binding mode. And I cannot send any commands from the TX

Here's what I have done for the benefit of DX8 owners:
- in airplane (Acro) mode the AUX1 is not available for the F.Mode switch on the DX8. So I am using AUX2 on the F.Mode switch and I am hardwiring AUX2 to the Arduino instead of the AUX1
- Needed to reverse Rudder, Elevator and Ailerons
- I have tried to connect FTDI/USB to Arduino (connecting GND to pin 10) and disconnecting Drone serial connector but I cannot get the terminal to shown info from the Arduino; do I need to remove resistor on Arduino TX?
- I have uploaded the software to another Arduino and connected another AR8000 receiver and satellite: I am able to get info in terminal ( I am using Zterm) without any problem.

I have included 2 photos of my mod. I have installed the Arduino on the Drone board and the receiver is tucked inside the foam (made a notch) of the tail. So far I have 4 theories to explain the problems:
1- the Drone's processor or wifi is interfering with the Arduino board due to proximity
2- The Arduino board is faulty
3- The software is not loaded properly
4- Power problem; the Drone battery is not holding charge to power everything.
BTW: I am using version 8 of the soft and 1.7.4 firmware on the Drone

Best,

Jacques
Doc_Avid is offline Find More Posts by Doc_Avid
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Candu1
Thank you for your comment!
The encapsulation in Fig. 33 covers the upper part of the drone plug only. Take care that the epoxy does not drop onto the main board! I shall add a comment in the tutorial.

Please describe your 3V transmitter for low battery alert. It sounds very interesting.

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
I will. Expected delivery would be three to four weeks. First thing I need to do is to determine how much current it will draw from its 3V battery. Still haven't figured out how to determine if it will run on 5V except plugging it in to a 5V power supply. I may have to be prepared to blow away the smoke from this test. :-)

I am also thinking about using an optocoupler similar to a 4N25 to interface with the transmitter. If I can find a 3V version, I can even use its built in battery, and have it totally isolated (electrically) from the arduino completely. Unpredictable things can happen when RF devices are so close to each other.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:55 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Candu1, sorry for choosing the wrong expression, by 'on the fly' I mean during boot, not while it is in the air. I have to start with 115200 baud to talk to the drone (default baudrate on that port). But I managed to change it right after contact and maintain that baudrate for the rest of the uptime.
I looked at the altitude sensor and don't think it can fill in for the ultrasound sensors on the navboard because the update rate (0.5 Hz) is too slow and the resolution (1 foot) is too coarse. I wonder what the Parrot software would do if it got good data when the drone is over 6 meters high...
A compass would be of more value once the GPS stuff starts to gel.
First test this morning with the new altimeter - got up to 256 feet. Worked quite well in self-standing mode. That is, you can only read it after you landed, which is probably a good idea since you don't really want to take your eyes off the ardrone while it that high up.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Avid View Post
Hi Miru, Thanks for the fast reply.
I must have read the readme 10 times!

The problems:
- The Arduino does not seem to connect correctly and control the AR-Drone; I have however succeded only once to start the Drone but lost control after.
- When I connect power to the Drone the Arduino green led lights up and seems to get through the normal motions. The orange led on receiver and satellite are solid on. The LED on the Drone start red and eventually go Green.
- But after a few seconds, the orange LED on the receiver and satellite start to blink as if in binding mode. And I cannot send any commands from the TX

- in airplane (Acro) mode the AUX1 is not available for the F.Mode switch on the DX8. So I am using AUX2 on the F.Mode switch and I am hardwiring AUX2
to the Arduino instead of the AUX1
- Needed to reverse Rudder, Elevator and Ailerons
- I have tried to connect FTDI/USB to Arduino (connecting GND to pin 10) and
disconnecting Drone serial connector but I cannot get the terminal to shown info from the Arduino; do I need to remove resistor on Arduino TX?
- I have uploaded the software to another Arduino and connected another AR8000 receiver and satellite: I am able to get info in terminal ( I am using Zterm) without any problem.

I have included 2 photos of my mod. I have installed the Arduino on the Drone board and the receiver is tucked inside the foam (made a notch) of the tail. So far I have 4 theories to explain the problems:
1- the Drone's processor or wifi is interfering with the Arduino board due to proximity
2- The Arduino board is faulty
3- The software is not loaded properly
4- Power problem; the Drone battery is not holding charge to power everything.
BTW: I am using version 8 of the soft and 1.7.4 firmware on the Drone

Best,

Jacques
All your 4 theories are possible. My original installation was with the rx inside the foam in the tail section (close to the ardone's wifi antennas). I was experiencing intermitten control problems. I suspect it was because of the rx is so close to the ardrone's wifi antenna. I have since moved the rx to the front of the ardrone. In your pictures, the two strips of copper traces are the ardone's wifi antennas. There are two more on the back of the board.

You rx's LED's blinking is an indication of a request to bind. It happened to me when I was changing connections on the rx. I start removing connectors on the rx one at a time until the LED becomes solid. You may want to try that as a first step. I would do it using your zterm grounding pin 10 routine rather than connecting to your ardrone.

If all else fails then try replacing boards but so far, I have found my problems were not related to faulty boards although I have try to blame them several times!

Good luck.

PS - I also discovered that if any one of the channel wire is disconnected between the rx and arduino, then the arduino will refused to take control even the startup flashes appeared to be normal.
Last edited by Candu1; Aug 20, 2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added PS
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
68 Posts
Miru, You should get kick out of this. He is using your mod on all his Drone now.

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/...9f7d3b7#p13458

Great video
ssgtmacgyver is offline Find More Posts by ssgtmacgyver
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:40 PM
Houston, Tx.
Joined Jan 2003
3,717 Posts
Finally got the drone firmware reflashed(lost wifi connection while updating)
Got a question..... is there a way to keep the drone from shutting down when making a steep aileron turn?
Bill Bergman is offline Find More Posts by Bill Bergman
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:07 PM
Ita
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Avid View Post
- in airplane (Acro) mode the AUX1 is not available for the F.Mode switch on the DX8. So I am using AUX2 on the F.Mode switch and I am hardwiring AUX2 to the Arduino instead of the AUX1
Jacques
Hi I have a dx8 and the F.Mode in aux1 work perfect with arduino nano and Miru mod, you need to enter in setup mode - setting-switch and set aux1 for F.Mode switch or any switch you want.
klamath is offline Find More Posts by klamath
Last edited by klamath; Aug 21, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:26 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtmacgyver View Post
Miru, You should get kick out of this. He is using your mod on all his Drone now.

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/...9f7d3b7#p13458

Great video
I am missing a credit somewhere....
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:39 AM
Houston, Tx.
Joined Jan 2003
3,717 Posts
Anybody else have this problem?
Some times when turning with the aileron stick the motors shut down and the drone falls to the ground.
Bill Bergman is offline Find More Posts by Bill Bergman
Last edited by Bill Bergman; Aug 22, 2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: sp
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:12 AM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Summary of the Miru Mod Tutorials Part 1 to 5

Miru created a great work in developing a steering for a Parrot Drone by standard remote control equipment. The present state of the art is a Plug-and Play unit (only 15 grams) with visual low battery alert.

UFO Doctor’s pleasure was to write step-to-step tutorials. You will succeed with minimum skills in electronics and basic ability in soldering tiny components.

However, some problems are persistent over the last 50 years:

Reading a tutorial: no problem, nice pictures, but I see much better solutions!
Understanding a tutorial: Why? I want to go to fly as soon as possible!
Following a tutorial: Why? I am so smart, I can miss a step.

In confidence, I let you know that I feel like you: I read the instructions given to a new electronic device not to the very end before running into severe problems, too.

But if you are more careful than UFO Doctor, please follow the links listed below:

Tutorial Miru Part 1_V9: Miru Mod Material, Cable Connections and Test-Setup
http://www.ufo-doctor.ch/description...art%201_V9.pdf

Tutorial Miru Part 2_V4: Installation of the Miru Mod in drone and First Flight
http://ufo-doctor.ch/descriptions/Pa...art%202_V4.pdf

Tutorial Miru Part 3_V4: Selectable Configurations and Clamp for iPhone on TX
http://ufo-doctor.ch/descriptions/Pa...art%203_V4.pdf

Tutorial Miru Part 4_V8: Visible Low Battery Alert and Emergency Landing
http://ufo-doctor.ch/descriptions/Pa...art%204_V8.pdf

Tutorial Miru Part 5_V2: VLBA experiments with external LED and TX
http://ufo-doctor.ch/descriptions/Pa...art%205_V3.pdf

Have a lot of fun and nice flights!

Kind regards

UFO Doctor
UFO Doctor is offline Find More Posts by UFO Doctor
Last edited by UFO Doctor; Sep 07, 2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Fotos,Minor skript change
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:12 AM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klamath View Post
Hi I have a dx8 and the F.Mode in aux1 work perfect with arduino nano and Miru mod, you need to enter in setup mode - setting-switch and set aux1 for F.Mode switch or any switch you want.
Hi Klamath,

I will check your config on the DX8; are you using an Heli type? Because I am positive that with an airplane type on my DX8 AUX1 is not available on the F.Mode switch.
Doc_Avid is offline Find More Posts by Doc_Avid
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:14 PM
Ita
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
I'm using a airplane type, and 2.03 firmware.... What firmware y have?
klamath is offline Find More Posts by klamath
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:38 PM
Joined Jul 2011
240 Posts
Quote:
Bledi, I think I found the problem. The setup and run loops of the program run at 25 Hz and the data coming in from the GPS is processed once per loop cycle (40 ms). The raw GPS receive buffer holds 31 bytes, if you are running at 38400 the GPS can send ~154 bytes per cycle and this will bust the buffer... For now, see if you can lower the baudrate to something that will not overflow the buffer, e.g 4800 baud.
The other thing you could do is to up the buffer size so it can hold 160 bytes. However that will cost precious SRAM space. Since I am on the road right now, I can't try it out, but will when I get back home by the end of next week. For the impatient... in rev 0.09 the buffer is declared on line 176, change the 32 to 160. Be prepared for strange things to happen if there is not enough SRAM...
Miru, your issu was not the good one. I had change the RX buffer to 160. And there is no change
I just make a screen copy, first this is datas directly from the GPS :

On setup mode I have :

The next GPS data change is (8 seconds later !!!! not 1 like directly from GPS) :

As you can see the relesh rate is note 1s (but only for GPS datas)

TY Miru
Bledi is offline Find More Posts by Bledi