HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:20 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bledi View Post
1st Thank you for your mod.

2nd, I just try to connect a GPS to the Arduino.
the GPS is a GPSLIM 236. It has a serial link with TT/CMOS level.
- I had made a test with a FDTI and and hyperterm. No problem I have datas.
- I had made a test with the miromod (Ctrl B mode), I have data but the refresh rate of GPS is not constant (3 to 20 seconds)
- I try on the drone by looking at /dev/ttyPA0, I have RX=0, RX=0 ... and sometime the datas ! One more think the motors leds are blinking !

My question is, why can't I have a 1Hz upadate rate on my GPS data like when I am connect directly to the GPS and why motors leds are blinking ?

Thanks !
If you connect to /dev/ttyPA0, you will be seing the commands that come from the Arduino program destined for the companion program on the drone... don't do that, it gets everybody confused.
The serial port for the GPS on the Arduino are the pins labelled A0 (is Rxi) and A1 (is TXo) and you also need to connect GND. Make sure you got the baudrate set right in 'rx2atp' (default is BAUD_GPS 4800). Run in SETUP mode first. You should be seing data from the GPS.
You also want to setup your GPS to send nothing but the GGA sentence, everything else is thrown away anyway.
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; Aug 19, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:38 PM
Deutschland, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Hello together,
Just have finished my 2. modified Drone with drs009 and newest firmware.
The Drone flies superb!!!
Thanks Miro and Ufo Doctor for the good job!!!
I have one question: I have installed the drs009, how can I activate the VLB?
Now it doesnt blink the LEDs when battery goes down.
Kindly regards
Matthias

Ps: my other Drone flies again, but I don't not why the failures described before...
MathiewH is offline Find More Posts by MathiewH
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:57 PM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiewH View Post
Hello together,
Just have finished my 2. modified Drone with drs009 and newest firmware.
The Drone flies superb!!!
Thanks Miro and Ufo Doctor for the good job!!!
I have one question: I have installed the drs009, how can I activate the VLB?
Now it doesnt blink the LEDs when battery goes down.
Kindly regards
Matthias

Ps: my other Drone flies again, but I don't not why the failures described before...
Dear Matthias
Did you notice the command line in Miru 009?:
#define VLBA_THR 15 /* 0 or > 60 turns it off */
#define VLBA_POL 1 /* 1-active high, 0-active low */
#define VLBA_BLINK 1 /* 1-blink, 0-no blink */

At default, the drone Led should blink if the battery capacity is below 15%

Kind regards and good luck

UFO Doctor
UFO Doctor is offline Find More Posts by UFO Doctor
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:08 PM
Deutschland, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Matthias
Did you notice the command line in Miru 009?:
#define VLBA_THR 15 /* 0 or > 60 turns it off */
#define VLBA_POL 1 /* 1-active high, 0-active low */
#define VLBA_BLINK 1 /* 1-blink, 0-no blink */

At default, the drone Led should blink if the battery capacity is below 15%

Kind regards and good luck

UFO Doctor
Dear UFO,

Thx, I will look tomorrow to the drs009.
Thankyou for answering
have a nice weekend

Kind regards Matthias
MathiewH is offline Find More Posts by MathiewH
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Jul 2011
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
If you connect to /dev/ttyPA0, you will be seing the commands that come from the Arduino program destined for the companion program on the drone... don't do that, it gets everybody confused.
The serial port for the GPS on the Arduino are the pins labelled A0 (is Rxi) and A1 (is TXo) and you also need to connect GND. Make sure you got the baudrate set right in 'rx2atp' (default is BAUD_GPS 4800). Run in SETUP mode first. You should be seing data from the GPS.
You also want to setup your GPS to send nothing but the GGA sentence, everything else is thrown away anyway.
On setup mode I see my GPS datas but the refresh rate is not 1Hz (it's not constant, the périod is beetween 3s and 20s).
If I don't connect to /dev/ttyPa0 where can I see datas if I am not on setup mode ?
Bledi is offline Find More Posts by Bledi
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Jul 2011
240 Posts
My GPS send more than the GGA sequence. Is it possible my problem of frame rate is caused by the others sequences ?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:35 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
On setup mode I see my GPS datas but the refresh rate is not 1Hz (it's not constant, the périod is beetween 3s and 20s).
If I don't connect to /dev/ttyPa0 where can I see datas if I am not on setup mode ?
When you connect it to Hyperterminal, is the refresh rate about 1 Hz? What baudrate are you using?

The GPS data is processed by the Arduino program and sent on to the drone program, which, at this point, inserts it into the Navdata stream (tag 80). None of the iDev applications knows about this tag nor what to do with the data in it. I am not completely done with the definition.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:39 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
My GPS send more than the GGA sequence. Is it possible my problem of frame rate is caused by the others sequences ?
That depends on your baudrate. The GPS units I have played with, refuse to run at a baudrate which would not allow to send all messages asked for. That being said, you want to run with a low baudrate in this application (4800 ... 19200) AND turn off all messages, exept for GGA.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
When you connect it to Hyperterminal, is the refresh rate about 1 Hz? What baudrate are you using?
My baudrate is 38400.
I had make a change on my GPS to have only GGA.
With the GPS directly on hyperterm, I have a refresh rate of 1hz. The timestamp increment correctly by 1.
Via setup mode I have the datas but the reflesh is not ok
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Using a Spektrum DX8

Anyone having success with this mod and using a Spektrum DX8: we built the mod with the Arduino mini and the AR8000 receiver and satellite. The transmitter does not seem to be able to connect with the arduino. Receiver works OK; I can control a servo with it. I have checked AUX1 is assigned to F mode switch on DX8 and try to start the Drone with throttle centered and F.mode switch to zero. Any other settings I should do on the DX8?

Thanks.
Doc_Avid is offline Find More Posts by Doc_Avid
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Avid View Post
Anyone having success with this mod and using a Spektrum DX8: we built the mod with the Arduino mini and the AR8000 receiver and satellite. The transmitter does not seem to be able to connect with the arduino. Receiver works OK; I can control a servo with it. I have checked AUX1 is assigned to F mode switch on DX8 and try to start the Drone with throttle centered and F.mode switch to zero. Any other settings I should do on the DX8?

Thanks.
Consult the README, section SETUP...
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:40 PM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
Use of Plane Finder Buzzer for Low Voltage

Would it not be possible to use one of the lost plane buzzers to signal low voltage? As I understand it they trigger if the input signal is low (ie no servo signal).
splashy is offline Find More Posts by splashy
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Miru Mod freaks

You had to wait for a long time for the Tutorial Miru Mod Part 5.
The old UFO Doctor is not as fast as Miru with his fantastic uC programming!

But here is the stuff, finally:

http://ufo-doctor.ch/descriptions/Pa...art%205_V2.pdf

Please tell me if you find some errors

The Miru Mod 009 works very well, the additional LEDs can be seen at full sunlight and the parrot drone lands safely after the visual low battery alert VLBA.

Have nice flights!

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
It's worth the wait! Very informative and educational, especially with the proposed circuits. Your idea of mounting the LEDs right on the USB plug maintains the mirumod's spirit of a plug and play mod and leaving the ardrone in a 'pristine' state. One question, I see your cable is under the protective cover. Wondering if you have any difficulties in unplugging it with the protective cover in place?

Right now, I have my pin9 configured to go high and no flash when VLBA is active so I can use a 2N2222 or similar device to switch on the wireless transmitter. Unfortunately, products from these web sites comes with no spec/documentations at all so I will have to make some measurements before I can select the interfacing components. Hope its current draw is within ardrone's current limit. It is powered by a 3V button battery. Worst case scenario is to keep the 3V battery and use the open collector to energize a micro relay to switch the 3V battery. Don't really want to do that unless I have to.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Aug 20, 2011, 01:59 AM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
One question, I see your cable is under the protective cover. Wondering if you have any difficulties in unplugging it with the protective cover in place?

Right now, I have my pin9 configured to go high and no flash when VLBA is active so I can use a 2N2222 or similar device to switch on the wireless transmitter. Unfortunately, products from these web sites comes with no spec/documentations at all so I will have to make some measurements before I can select the interfacing components. Hope its current draw is within ardrone's current limit. It is powered by a 3V button battery. Worst case scenario is to keep the 3V battery and use the open collector to energize a micro relay to switch the 3V battery. Don't really want to do that unless I have to.
Dear Candu1
Thank you for your comment!
The encapsulation in Fig. 33 covers the upper part of the drone plug only. Take care that the epoxy does not drop onto the main board! I shall add a comment in the tutorial.

Please describe your 3V transmitter for low battery alert. It sounds very interesting.

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:01 AM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
voltage regulator with enable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post

Dear Candu1

Here I have seen a tiny 3.3V voltage regulator with enable:
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Colla...LV59033M-D.PDF

If your 3V transmitter draws less that 100 mA, you may use the 5V Ardunio supply and you can switch on/off the regulator by Ardunio Pin 9!

Good luck and kind regards
UFO Doctor