HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:26 PM
Deutschland, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Jul 2011
32 Posts
Dear UFO,
Thx for your reply!
My Drone flies well, but sometimes when I fly forwards, the Drone turns very fast from allown to the right over 180 degrees.
What can I do to solve that little problem?
Best regards from rainy Germany
MathiewH is offline Find More Posts by MathiewH
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Here's a video from this morning's flight using miru mod version 008. Towards the end of the video, you can see how the iTouch is mounted on the tx for instrumentation purposes. Video from the iTouch is very jumpy and some times locked up for a few seconds at a time. Instrumentation updates appears to be "live".

AR.DRONE Field Test with RC Control + iTouch Instrumentation (3 min 34 sec)
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
Schweiz, AG, Wettingen
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiewH View Post
Dear UFO,
Thx for your reply!
My Drone flies well, but sometimes when I fly forwards, the Drone turns very fast from allown to the right over 180 degrees.
Dear Mathiew

Please disconnect the Miru Mode drone cable from the drone and check a standard flight with iPhone.

If the drone is not flying correctly now, it could be that your parrot drone shows a problem with the flight control main board, motors, propellers or with the additional weight of the Miru Mod.

Removing all Miru Mod components and having the same problems, it would be better to bring back you drone and get a better one

Good luck!

Kind regards
Peter
UFO Doctor is offline Find More Posts by UFO Doctor
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:13 PM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Electric magnet

miru

My brother and I finally have both of the AR Drones flying. We really like the battery notification feature. I still use the dual rate switch on the FlySky Tx to switch sensitivity while in flight. Now with a electric magnet that I added to the rear of the drone I can pickup small metal objects and drop them at will. It's a lot of fun. The dual rate switch is used to activate the magnet and to have slower control levels.

Larry
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
A simple idea would be a capacitive coupled Power FET (Gate connected by a capacity to one of the Motor LED, 10k to GND), driving a powerful external LED. Such a Power LED will be not switched on during normal flight, but will blink bright if VLBA is trigggered.

However, please investigate the circuit of the Motor PCB and its signals prior any soldering!

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
Since the ardrone's LEDs are always on, capacitive coupling the LED's drive signal to a high impedance device like a power FET should work. Had a quick look at the motor ESC board from one of my damaged motors. Mechanically, it shouldn't be a big problem to solder a tiny wire-wrap type wire to the LED hot and ground terminals and run the two wires to the main body to couple to a small power FET switch board. The challenge is where to pick up power without causing interference to other on board circuits, to drive the high intensity LED(s). May be a self contained tiny PCB with it's own battery, say a single cell 3.7V Lipo would be the best approach.

However, before doing all that, first thing to do is to determine the visible range of the high intensity LEDs under day time sunny condition... Target range is 100 meters?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Miru Mod Freaks

I am pleased to present here the Miru Tutorial Part 4 about the Visual Low Battery Alert and the new Emergency Landing.

http://ufo-doctor.ch/descriptions/Pa...art%204_V8.pdf

(The Miru Tutorials Part 1,2,3 are referenced in this tutorial 4)

Thank you Miru for your patience with me UNIX/LINUX/uC Greenhorn!
It is a great honor for me that I could test the new Miru Mod 008, dated August 11th, 2011

Kind regards
UFO Doctor

Lot's of information in this tutorial. Good job as usual, UFO Doctor!

Results from Test 1 and Test 2 on page 2 are quite interesting. It confirmed my observation from my very first test flight right after I upgraded to version 008 - that the all red flash started when the voltage drop to 10.3 volts (post #620).

It would be even more interesting if the elapse times are available and plotted against battery voltage or %capacity.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:12 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
Since the ardrone's LEDs are always on, capacitive coupling the LED's drive signal to a high impedance device like a power FET should work. Had a quick look at the motor ESC board from one of my damaged motors. Mechanically, it shouldn't be a big problem to solder a tiny wire-wrap type wire to the LED hot and ground terminals and run the two wires to the main body to couple to a small power FET switch board. The challenge is where to pick up power without causing interference to other on board circuits, to drive the high intensity LED(s). May be a self contained tiny PCB with it's own battery, say a single cell 3.7V Lipo would be the best approach.

However, before doing all that, first thing to do is to determine the visible range of the high intensity LEDs under day time sunny condition... Target range is 100 meters?
Candu1, I am moving the VLBA feature to the Arduino, where you can have an output to drive anything within the capabilities of an Arduino pin. At this point, UFO-DOCTOR is testpiloting REV 0.09 to make sure the move of the VLBA mechanism is not causing other problems. One of the more difficult things I had to do was to change the baudrate of communication between the Arduino and the Drone 'on the fly', to have a better match with the Arduino's 16Mhz base clock for communication with it's USART. This change, once accomplished, makes data on the drone available to the Arduino.
At this point, pin (9) is the VLBA output, it has a programmable polarity and toggles at 5Hz with a 40/60 duty cycle when the battery gets below the THR_VLBA percentage.
Keep in mind, I want this to be a true Plug&Play, meaning once you remove the physical evidence of the mod, it leaves the drone in a 'pristine' state so it can be returned to the store...
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; Aug 14, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:32 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Here's a video from this morning's flight using miru mod version 008. Towards the end of the video, you can see how the iTouch is mounted on the tx for instrumentation purposes. Video from the iTouch is very jumpy and some times locked up for a few seconds at a time. Instrumentation updates appears to be "live".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqUUcanD-DA
Candu1, thanks for the video! Do you ever encounter problems flying over grass like other people do?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Candu1, I am moving the VLBA feature to the Arduino, where you can have an output to drive anything within the capabilities of an Arduino pin. At this point, UFO-DOCTOR is testpiloting REV 0.09 to make sure the move of the VLBA mechanism is not causing other problems. One of the more difficult things I had to do was to change the baudrate of communication between the Arduino and the Drone 'on the fly', to have a better match with the Arduino's 16Mhz base clock for communication with it's USART. This change, once accomplished, makes data on the drone available to the Arduino.
At this point, pin (9) is the VLBA output, it has a programmable polarity and toggles at 5Hz with a 40/60 duty cycle when the battery gets below the THR_VLBA percentage.
Keep in mind, I want this to be a true Plug&Play, meaning once you remove the physical evidence of the mod, it leaves the drone in a 'pristine' state so it can be returned to the store...
That's why having output from the Arduino is much cleaner implementation. Soldering a wire on an SMT component is not something trivial for me. Also, it's not something I want to try without knowing something about the ESC circuit first.

To me, changing baud rate on the fly could be a dangerous thing since you would loose connection until the two devices reestablish comm. And many things can happen during that comm-less period.

By the way, miru, I'm waiting for my altimeter http://wingedshadow.com/howhigh.html to arrive in the mail. My plan is just to use it to read the max height after a flight but it is capable of providing live data from a serial port. I know you are working/waiting for the right GPS hardware, and already reserved two pins on the Arduino for it. Wondering if you have run across this device before and have any thoughts about it. It can possibly take over when the ardrone's ultrasonic sensor is out of range. Just a thought.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,237 Posts
Quote:
That's why having output from the Arduino is much cleaner implementation. Soldering a wire on an SMT component is not something trivial for me. Also, it's not something I want to try without knowing something about the ESC circuit first.

To me, changing baud rate on the fly could be a dangerous thing since you would loose connection until the two devices reestablish comm. And many things can happen during that comm-less period.

By the way, miru, I'm waiting for my altimeter http://wingedshadow.com/howhigh.html to arrive in the mail. My plan is just to use it to read the max height after a flight but it is capable of providing live data from a serial port. I know you are working/waiting for the right GPS hardware, and already reserved two pins on the Arduino for it. Wondering if you have run across this device before and have any thoughts about it. It can possibly take over when the ardrone's ultrasonic sensor is out of range. Just a thought.
Candu1, sorry for choosing the wrong expression, by 'on the fly' I mean during boot, not while it is in the air. I have to start with 115200 baud to talk to the drone (default baudrate on that port). But I managed to change it right after contact and maintain that baudrate for the rest of the uptime.
I looked at the altitude sensor and don't think it can fill in for the ultrasound sensors on the navboard because the update rate (0.5 Hz) is too slow and the resolution (1 foot) is too coarse. I wonder what the Parrot software would do if it got good data when the drone is over 6 meters high...
A compass would be of more value once the GPS stuff starts to gel.
Last edited by miru; Aug 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Candu1, thanks for the video! Do you ever encounter problems flying over grass like other people do?
Funny I have never experienced problems flying over grass, and I tried not to fly over hard surfaces when ever possible since even a controlled landing on concrete "sounds" like a "crash" to me. I think that's why there are many landing gear mods out there.

I believe lots of these fly away/unstable control issues has something to do with wind and old or end-of-life battery in combination with worn ardrone components. I've just retired one of my 1300 battery because of that.

Battery voltage reading at no-load condition could be very misleading but under load condition, battery voltage could fluctuate a lot with a heavy load - especially with an aged battery. Top that with worn bearings/gears, bent shafts, over-heated motors (more noticeable if components worn more on one particular corner), you could have very strange control reactions, especially when changing throttle settings. My previous "reluctance-to-turn-right" issue was mostly attributed to the above. I was able to "work around" that condition (make right turns) for awhile by decreasing throttle while giving a right yaw control. All is well when the battery voltage was still high, but as the battery gets towards its end-of-life, the low voltage can happen within 2 minutes or less, then controlling would become unmanagable. So with moderate wind condition, you would have your hands full trying to get the ardrone back from high altitude.

A long winded answer to a simple question....
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:31 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,102 Posts
Back to play again

I am back from Florida now. Time to get the AR Drone up in the air. I have been reading a pages now.

I was going to update the firmware on the Arduino. I hear that there will be a pin change sometime soon? Should I update to 0.08? or wait for 0.09 and do the pin swap?

Has the 0.09 been release for trial?
actionplus is online now Find More Posts by actionplus
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:35 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,102 Posts
Drone firmware update

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqUUcanD-DA
Candu,
What drone firmware are you using? I am still on the old one now. Think it is the 1.6. I know they have a new one now. But afraid to upload new one. Is there a place where they have a list of firmware where I can choose which to upload?

Thanks
actionplus is online now Find More Posts by actionplus
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiewH View Post
Dear UFO,
Thx for your reply!
Don't feel bad, I have had exactly the same problem. It seems to happen when I am going forward. The Drone will suddenly turn 180 degrees.
rrobbins6111 is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins6111
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:36 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionplus View Post
Candu,
What drone firmware are you using? I am still on the old one now. Think it is the 1.6. I know they have a new one now. But afraid to upload new one. Is there a place where they have a list of firmware where I can choose which to upload?

Thanks
I am using the latest ardrone firmware, 1.7.4. There are other apps but I use Drone Control app's firmware manager to choose, select, and install the firmware version that I need. I was and still is nervous doing firmware upgrades but I found Drone Control to be quite versatile and robust app for my purpose.