HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:49 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello,
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Laurent, I really like the 3 position switch and it's use for (land,fly with hover, fly without hover), it takes the GEAR switch out of the picture so one can still do with a 5 channel radio, provided it has a 3 position switch. However, I don't know if other TX/RX pairs have a 3 position switch... At least my older ones do not. I would like to avoid a software configuration nightmare and am searching for a solution that will work with a 2 position as well as a 3 position switch).
Genie360, what kind of switch is on your radio?
miru
i fully understand your choice... you are right to say that the mod should be usable with the simplest transmitter...
Thank's for all.
Cheers.
Laurent D
Lorenzo29 is offline Find More Posts by Lorenzo29
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:51 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello,

in order to help for wiring as asked by some of us :
Quote:
Some pictures of the wiring would be a massive help for us noobs

I hope it is error free.
Please tell me if you spot some mistakes. I will update it...

Cheers.

Laurent D
Last edited by Lorenzo29; Apr 12, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:10 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,110 Posts
Diagram

Thanks for the diagram.
actionplus is online now Find More Posts by actionplus
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:22 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Miru,
Very nice work. The idea of downloading the program to run on the drone is brilliant.

Now lets see about adding that GPS module...
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:45 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo29 View Post
Hello,

Please tell me if you spot some mistakes. I will update it...

Cheers.

Laurent D
Laurent, great graphics! Please fix the serial wire to the drone.
Drone pin 4 is RXI <---------- Arduino TXO (closer to the FTDI connector)
Drone pin 6 is TXO ---------> Arduino RXI
You also might want to show the drone plug as it is seen from the top.

miru
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; Apr 12, 2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: got fixed
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:59 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
mirumod rev 0.03

Here is the latest, I think I was able to incorporate most suggestions. Thank you Laurent for making me look into the 'no hover' fly mode, it works great, no more back-flips!

Rev 0.03 works with 5 channels, four for the sticks and the fifth as a flight mode switch. You have to choose in the 'sketch' which channel you want to use as the flightmode switch (GEAR or AUX1). GEAR is interpreted as a 2 position switch which gives you LAND/FLY choice. AUX1 is interpreted as a 3 postition switch, you'll get LAND/FM_1/FM_2. FM_1 is like FLY where the drone is told to go into hover if AILE+ELEV are centered, FM_2 does not tell the drone to hover if the sticks are centered.
When the flightmode switch is on LAND, the RUDD stick works as a push button, move it left -> FTRIM/LED/COMWDG, move it right -> EMERGENCY signal to drone (needed to reset EMERGENCY flag in drone).

miru
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:04 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Petersen View Post
Miru,
Very nice work. The idea of downloading the program to run on the drone is brilliant.

Now lets see about adding that GPS module...
Thanks, nosaari's convincing arguments about a true plug&play pushed me to spend the effort doing it.
What would you do with the GPS data? If we send it back to earth through the drone, we'll be back into the Wifi range limit...

miru
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:18 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello,
Quote:
Laurent, great graphics! Please fix the serial wire to the drone.
Drone pin 4 is RXI <---------- Arduino TXO (closer to the FTDI connector)
Drone pin 6 is TXO ---------> Arduino RXI
Done...
(stupid i'm... or may be a bit sleepy )

Quote:
You also might want to show the drone plug as it is seen from the top.
Done...
(I hope i didn't make other mistakes, always been disturb how to show wiring connection on connector, from top, not from top, never know how to handle it... But, you are right Miru, from top seems the best way since this is the orientation used when soldering).

Cheers.
Laurent D
Last edited by Lorenzo29; Apr 12, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:35 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
.../...Thank you Laurent for making me look into the 'no hover' fly mode, it works great, no more back-flips!
eh eh eh, it happens to me as well, when you get confident to pilot the drone, you open up the throttle and during fast flying, back-flips can suddenly happens certainly due, as you mention it, to auto-hovering provocated by the roll/pitch neutral function

Quote:
.../... AUX1 is interpreted as a 3 postition switch, you'll get LAND/FM_1/FM_2. FM_1 is like FLY where the drone is told to go into hover if AILE+ELEV are centered, FM_2 does not tell the drone to hover if the sticks are centered.
so great you did it ! I'm very happy about it... Thank's a lot !
I was actually studying your code in detail, at_prg() and so on, to modify it to implement the no hovering switch position, i was sweating to understand in detail your program. So you make me gain a lot of time, my family could thanks you a lot

You rock !

Cheers.

Laurent D
Last edited by Lorenzo29; Apr 12, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:36 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPGPS View Post
Yes, I’m in the progress of attaching an Arduino Nano with:
- I2C barometer MS5607B to provide the altitude (an extension to the ultrasonic on AR.Drone)
- I2C magnetic compass HMC5883L to provide the direction for navigation
- TTL serial GPS to provide positions

There are open source for those sensors with Arduino on the Web.
The goal is to let AR.Drone Auto-Return in case of out of control by RC/WiFi-Phone, and fix the “Flyaway”.

My solution is to have two levels of PID control:
- Inner loop of PID by existing AR.Drone’s program.elf
- Outer loop of PID by an on-drone app developed

The problem I’m facing:
AR.Drone may not handle AT commands well when out of ultrasonic range (just as you said, AR.Drone is mad in this case -- Does not know where it is and how high). So it needs to inject PWM commands into /dev/ttyPA1 to control motors directly. What is the PWM protocol used by AR.Drone?
I have dumped some data from /dev/ttyPA1, but still no clue.
The serial GPS will be a problem on the Arduino, it has only 1 UART and we need that to talk to the drone. I think there are I2C GPS chips out there?

About the problem you are facing... I think this is a BIG can of worms. You would have to sever the connection between the motors and insert a bridge to be able to change things. Keep in mind what program.elf sends to the motors is the sum of the stabilization, command interpretation and perhaps some misguided interpretation of the altitude sensor, which you would have to detect and take out. And of course there are the ESC firmware updates and I think the motors are talking back to the drone (cutout)....
If I knew the hardware, I would rather rewrite program.elf.

miru
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:25 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
pictures of my setup

some asked for pictures of the mod, here is what it looks like on my drone...
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:39 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
eh eh eh, tricky arrangement...
Laurent D
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:46 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Apr 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Here is the latest, I think I was able to incorporate most suggestions. Thank you Laurent for making me look into the 'no hover' fly mode, it works great, no more back-flips!

Rev 0.03 works with 5 channels, four for the sticks and the fifth as a flight mode switch. You have to choose in the 'sketch' which channel you want to use as the flightmode switch (GEAR or AUX1). GEAR is interpreted as a 2 position switch which gives you LAND/FLY choice. AUX1 is interpreted as a 3 postition switch, you'll get LAND/FM_1/FM_2. FM_1 is like FLY where the drone is told to go into hover if AILE+ELEV are centered, FM_2 does not tell the drone to hover if the sticks are centered.
When the flightmode switch is on LAND, the RUDD stick works as a push button, move it left -> FTRIM/LED/COMWDG, move it right -> EMERGENCY signal to drone (needed to reset EMERGENCY flag in drone).

miru
Thanks miru! Just got home... gonna give it a try now...
genie360 is offline Find More Posts by genie360
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, nosaari's convincing arguments about a true plug&play pushed me to spend the effort doing it.

miru
And who asked it to Nosaari ?...

Many thx miru, your sketch was awaited.

We could use it on the new all-in-one board that we're developing with another Fabien, some guys (arduino masters) know him here.

@++
Fabien
La DroneShop is offline Find More Posts by La DroneShop
Last edited by La DroneShop; Apr 12, 2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Thank you so much, makes perfect sense now. Looking forward to this one!
sevensixty is offline Find More Posts by sevensixty