HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:10 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW2511 View Post
ok got more results, wired through FTDI i get messages coming through regardless of my power source, on 38400

still the same issue in the setup though....anything in the sketch I can change??

OK, that narrows things down a bit here. Now connect using nano with sketch v019 in SETUP mode (see attached picture).

Again power GPS with from different sources and tell us what you see EXACTLY in hyperterminal (screenshots will be usefull). Press Control-B a couple of times to let the SETUP screen refresh.

This time you need the blue line, so start with resistor on it if your (I am still not sure if your GPS needs it).

BTW Is what you are getting when connectig to PC directly human readable (NMEA sentences) or some binary rubbish?
pawelsky is offline Find More Posts by pawelsky
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
human readable, its MTK messages (i think)

I can tell you the answer to that already, it works ok, get GPS lock and it sets up the GPS etc correctly

its only when you move to external power source (eg serial or batt>ubec) it cocks up (in SETUP, still works ok going straight through FTDI)
SJW2511 is offline Find More Posts by SJW2511
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:18 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,518 Posts
Quote:
human readable, its MTK messages (i think)

I can tell you the answer to that already, it works ok, get GPS lock and it sets up the GPS etc correctly

its only when you move to external power source (eg serial or batt>ubec) it cocks up.
The diagram below assumes powering GPS only from external source so I'm not quite sure what case are you talking about when you say it works.

Please try this and let us know what do you see in SETUP (screenshots). We've proven the GPS works correctly regardless of the power source, so the GPS-Nano connection would be the next thing to check.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
Sorry I looked at it too quick

Again iv tried all those combos, anything external power apart from a second USB powered nano it fails.

Let me explain how iv got this setup

I have a completed mod with the GPS tx and rx going into A0 and A1 etc

Then I have a second nano that is used solely for powering the GPS, that i power either with usb or battery going into the RAW and GND pins, I then use the 5v feed from that second nano to power the GPS

If i power the second nano via usb, works fine in setup, if I power any other way, eg battery or serial no go.

It also doesnt work if I power the GPS straight from a battery>ubec setup
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:31 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,518 Posts
Quote:
Sorry I looked at it too quick

Again iv tried all those combos, anything external power apart from a second USB powered nano it fails.

Let me explain how iv got this setup

I have a completed mod with the GPS tx and rx going into A0 and A1 etc

Then I have a second nano that is used solely for powering the GPS, that i power either with usb or battery going into the RAW and GND pins, I then use the 5v feed from that second nano to power the GPS

If i power the second nano via usb, works fine in setup, if I power any other way, eg battery or serial no go.

It also doesnt work if I power the GPS straight from a battery>ubec setup
OK, so couple more questions

1) In which order do you power things up? Shloud be GPS first, arduino with sketch second
2) Do you have resistor on the GPS RX line (blue). How many ohms?
3) Do you have grounds from external power sources and arduino with sketch connected together?
4) What do you see in setup screen when it doesn't work (screenshot please)

EDIT: and one more - is your battery fully charged?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
1) Yep GPS first, but tried it last
2) I have tried with and without resistor (330ohms)
3) Good question maybe this is it, should i run a ground off arduino straight into the black wire of the battery? if so where should I take the ground from on the arduino?
4) I can get a ss if you wish but you may be satisfied with the explanation, its just a normal setup screen, says GPS at the top as it does anyway, with no baud rate, and no other GPS info, no lock at the bottom or anything, its as if GPS isnt connected, but everything else is normal

EDIT: Yes
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
None of what im experiencing makes logical sense whatsoever, I can literally be sitting there watching setup, and have the gps power nano sat there being powered by a battery and no GPS info showing on the setup screen, then I can unplug the battery and plug usb to power the nano instead and bingo it all starts coming through, really doing my head in, it shouldnt matter the only difference is the power nano output just over 5v, rather than 4.6v when powered by USB, however I still get messages coming through when going through FTDI

BIZARRE
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,518 Posts
Quote:
3) Good question maybe this is it, should i run a ground off arduino straight into the black wire of the battery? if so where should I take the ground from on the arduino?
Connecting grounds of GPS and the arduino running the sketch should be enough.

Another thing to try is to go back to previous version of the sketch (018) where you can specify the baudrate of your GPS. Before uploading change the line

Code:
#define	BAUD_GPS	0
to

Code:
#define	BAUD_GPS	38400
and see if that helps.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
which gnd on the arduino should i connect the gnd of the gps to dude? the same gnd the receiver uses?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
LEGEND!!!!

that fixed it Grounding the arduino to the GPS GND

Awesome work man! made my Xmas less stressful
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,518 Posts
Quote:
LEGEND!!!!

that fixed it Grounding the arduino to the GPS GND

Awesome work man! made my Xmas less stressful
That's why I insisted to do tests exactly as on the attached schematics

Glad it works.

marry Xmas

P.S. Now that we know everything works fine you can try powering the GPS directly from Nano's (the one with sketch) 5V line and forget about any external power. Nano's regulator should be able to deal with that load.
For pro mini, you will still need external power, but as Miru pointed out it is better to power whole ProMini with the UBEC rather than just the GPS as it saves some power that otherwise gets wasted.
Last edited by pawelsky; Dec 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
Not quite there yet lol

When I plug the earth from GPS back into arduino GND, the arduino pro mini starts to overheat again, like it does if you try and run GPS straight off it, im guessing when you connecte earth it starts to draw current from arduino?

Also is it right that A0 and A1 are showing almost 5v output when connected to drone? even with nothing on the other end?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
would I be able to earth the arduino pro mini anywhere else? so the gps wouldnt try and draw current from it?
Last edited by SJW2511; Dec 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:47 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,518 Posts
Quote:
would I be able to earth the arduino pro mini anywhere else? so the gps wouldnt try and draw current from it?
Draw the EXACT schematics of your setup including all the elements (drone, PC, battery, ubec, gps, etc. whatever you use - skip the receiver for now).
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
here we go, image attached

Seems if i plug gps gnd into left or right hand side of board the arduino starts to burn when you start it up

if i leave GND out it doesnt burn but then of course it doesnt work, as per the original problem lol

BTW im using an Arduino Pro mini so its not a nano as in the image