HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:08 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumba99 View Post
I short the 2 pins on Logic Lelvel and remove bind plug from receiver.

I bought this kit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AR-DRONE-1...90757633299%26

And receive a message from seller that: Please note that this kit is for both AR-DRONE and AR-DRONE 2.

The difference is that for the DRONE 2 you need to short the 2 pins on the Logic Level Converter(Red Board) I use the binding plug
to short the pins.

Im trying to contact the seller, but no answer
OK we are talking about 3 different things in your case:

1. BIND plug - that shall be used only once for binding the receiver and your TX. Once that is done you should remove the plug
2. LEVELSHIFTER plug - not sure if you have it shorted permanently or using the plug (i can see the plug next to the drone on your movie) but it MUST BE SHORTED for Drone 2. Otherwise you may fry your drone's serial port.
3. SETUP plug (the one I was talking about) - that needs to be on only in setup mode (when connecting to hyperterminal). You need to remove that for flying (attached picture shows where it goes).
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Yes, I was wondering about it too. Maybe I destroyed the unit (by not using the pullups) as it is not detected by your sketch anymore. On the other hand when I use the i2cscanner sketch (http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/I2cScanner) - it finds it so I need to investigate more.
I doubt you could ever destroy it by not having pullups. It will just not communicate because levels will stay low. Be that as it may, you mentioned that, after enabling pullups, the temperature and pressure values started changing. Do they react to external stimuli in a reproducible way? Say, temperature value slowly changes in some direction when you hold finger on sensor and slowly changes back to original value?

Perhaps the easiest way to troubleshoot is to examine raw values obtained from bmp085 and see if they make sense. They all are available as global variables(I admit it is not the best way to write code but I am not a professional programmer after all) :

these are calibration values, constants specific for the chip
int ac1;
int ac2;
int ac3;
unsigned int ac4;
unsigned int ac5;
unsigned int ac6;
int b1;
int b2;
int mb;
int mc;
int md;

those are raw values of pressure and temperature
long uncor_temp;
long uncor_pres;

last but not least, this is indicator/counter of timeout errors in i2c communication - it does not check if received values are bogus (such as, for example, bmp085 is not given enough time to acquire sample before reading it), it only counts purely communication errors
unsigned i2c_err=0;

Add few lines to setup code to print out some or all of these values out the same way you printed processed values and see what you get.
happul3 is offline Find More Posts by happul3
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
OK we are talking about 3 different things in your case:

1. BIND plug - that shall be used only once for binding the receiver and your TX. Once that is done you should remove the plug
2. LEVELSHIFTER plug - not sure if you have it shorted permanently or using the plug (i can see the plug next to the drone on your movie) but it MUST BE SHORTED for Drone 2. Otherwise you may fry your drone's serial port.
3. SETUP plug (the one I was talking about) - that needs to be on only in setup mode (when connecting to hyperterminal). You need to remove that for flying (attached picture shows where it goes).
And where is this levelshifter? My board is like the pics below.
rhumba99 is offline Find More Posts by rhumba99
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:28 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,515 Posts
Quote:
And where is this levelshifter? My board is like the pics below.
Red board next to the mini-USB plug
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:36 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happul3 View Post
I doubt you could ever destroy it by not having pullups. It will just not communicate because levels will stay low. Be that as it may, you mentioned that, after enabling pullups, the temperature and pressure values started changing. Do they react to external stimuli in a reproducible way? Say, temperature value slowly changes in some direction when you hold finger on sensor and slowly changes back to original value?

Perhaps the easiest way to troubleshoot is to examine raw values obtained from bmp085 and see if they make sense. They all are available as global variables(I admit it is not the best way to write code but I am not a professional programmer after all) :

these are calibration values, constants specific for the chip
int ac1;
int ac2;
int ac3;
unsigned int ac4;
unsigned int ac5;
unsigned int ac6;
int b1;
int b2;
int mb;
int mc;
int md;

those are raw values of pressure and temperature
long uncor_temp;
long uncor_pres;

last but not least, this is indicator/counter of timeout errors in i2c communication - it does not check if received values are bogus (such as, for example, bmp085 is not given enough time to acquire sample before reading it), it only counts purely communication errors
unsigned i2c_err=0;

Add few lines to setup code to print out some or all of these values out the same way you printed processed values and see what you get.
I'll be testing that with the other Nano I have using a simple sketch just for communicating with the sensor when I find some time. I'll let you know what are the results.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Red board next to the mini-USB plug
Hi, my red board is already short the two pins. I remove the jumper in setup plug and now is no blinking anymore, I move the sticks and F mode and nothing happens
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:47 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Hi, my red board is already short the two pins. I remove the jumper in setup plug and now is no blinking anymore, I move the sticks and F mode and nothing happens
Describe what happens to the mod and drone LEDs since you switch the power on (or better record a video)
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Describe what happens to the mod and drone LEDs since you switch the power on (or better record a video)
IMG 0491 (0 min 46 sec)
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:44 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Looks like the same problems others have with Arduino Nano clones (mod waits for start signal from drone), no solution to that at the moment. Things you can try:

1) Make sure the mod plug is connected firmly to the drone
2) Upgrade Drone to latest firmware 2.1.16 is a bit old
3) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3360
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:05 PM
France, PCh, Poitiers
Joined Oct 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Not yet (may take a while as the seller is from China). Will report how it works once it arrives.
Ok, i Will Wait your report for buy it, but the temptation is high.
Fioulmaster is offline Find More Posts by Fioulmaster
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
Looks like the same problems others have with Arduino Nano clones (mod waits for start signal from drone), no solution to that at the moment. Things you can try:

Couple of additional things to try:
4) Keep transmitter off, boot up drone, turn transmitter on only after motor leds are green
5) Change surface bottom camera is looking at
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,603 Posts
Quote:

Why suggestion 2)? the sketch is just sending a virtual key press, isn't it? What would change between firmware versions to respond differently to that?
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Why suggestion 2)? the sketch is just sending a virtual key press, isn't it? What would change between firmware versions to respond differently to that?
The recipient is companion program (at2so.arm) running in multitasking unix environment. Other processes,esp. drone pilot program, share the same cpu. It seems fairly plausible that changes to firmware (= pilot program) might affect timing-critical communication.

I think there was another mod implemented without anything running on drone cpu. It was done by arduino (yellowjacket?) talking to wifi on drone. In that case suggestion #2 would be unlikely to make any difference.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:40 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,515 Posts
Quote:
I'll be testing that with the other Nano I have using a simple sketch just for communicating with the sensor when I find some time. I'll let you know what are the results.
Did a quick test on other Arduino Nano:
1) with this sketch everything works fine, I'm getting correct readings (unit not broken, hurrah!)
2) with happul3 sketch the readings seem to be incorrect (although unit reacts to changes of press/temp). I guess there must be some overflow during conversion (temp gets negative)
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happul3 View Post
The recipient is companion program (at2so.arm) running in multitasking unix environment. Other processes,esp. drone pilot program, share the same cpu. It seems fairly plausible that changes to firmware (= pilot program) might affect timing-critical communication.
OK, so if it could adapt its communications timings to whatever combination of arduino/drone/firmware it finds itself running on, it might work better with clones etc?

Looking forward to the next release.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan