HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Aug 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
One more question: Do you cover the sensor somehow to protect it from the extra air pressure generated by propellers, or you just hide it under Drone's hull?
It just sits under hull right above arduino and receiver. There will be transients related to airflow (propellers and airspeed), but I don't expect them to matter with 0.5 sec averaging.
happul3 is offline Find More Posts by happul3
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
The schematic on the ebay listing does not show the voltage regultor ... there is no telling what they do.You want a 16 Mhz clock on the processor to run the mod.The 150mA is for the power regulator, the processor can only do 40mA on an output pin.
OK, well I've asked the seller what it does. Yes, I know I want a 16Mhz processor - that's what I bought - I was simply showing you that I didn't find this under a bush, there are other models out there that have this feature and the 16Mhz version might do something extra that was useful if you were interested. Thanks for setting my mind at rest about the resistors though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Sorry, I am exhausted and am giving up on you. You need to brush up your understanding of electronic circuits and study the schematics of the LLC to answer the questions yourself.
Well, that's entirely up to you, of course, but a simple Yes or No would have been more helpful. You might know what you are doing, but I've already lost one mainboard and apparently I'm unique in having a problem with the Pro Mini and the LLC. Maybe the clones I'm using just aren't working as expected, especially with the 'extra' feature.

I'm not that bad at soldering, as I've taken one Pro Mini D1 Mod apart about 6 times to keep swapping between Resistors and a LLC and it still works. happul3 showed me how to test the LLC every way possible and it's also fine, so all I can do is experiment, see what happens and ask again to see if I'm heading in the right direction.

If there was anywhere else where this information was written, I wouldn't be asking these basic questions in order to figure out where I might have gone wrong. The wiring is pretty basic, so all I can do is solder it together and check voltages and connections. As I no longer have a working version and I'm hesitant about blowing up another mainboard, I'm trying to understand how it works before plugging it all in again, as evidently just following the schematic didn't work as expected.
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Video selection and the sequence to launch

I am pleased to announce the birth of yet another Miru Mod AR Drone but I do have two questions...

1. I was disappointed at first when after going through setup, etc. I set the throttle all the way down, flight mode to LAND, turned on the transmitter and booted the drone (as per the README file, Operation section)... checked the emergency function, cleared it, did a FTRIM.. then switched to FM1 and raised throttle.. Nothing. Repeated it... still no launch. Thought it might be the ground camera locking up as described elsewhere so tried different surfaces. Still no go. Tried FreeFlight and it took off fine.. scratched head.

Then found that as long as I set flight mode to LAND, THEN raised the throttle around 25 percent, THEN went to FM1 (or 2) and she took off fine every time. I assume this is not normal behavior? It’s not a problem but I was wondering why it requires some up-throttle in Land mode before it will launch in flight modes.

Throttle values in setup are: Down all the way = -970, centered = 0 and all the way up is 1000. Trim is not used. R/C is Spektrum DX8. Drone 2.

2. Please help me with the video settings. I can find nothing in README on it and only this comment in this thread: “If you are in LAND, you can cycle through the different offerings by moving the right stick to the right and back. The choices are: front camera, front camera with bottom camera insert, bottom camera and bottom camera with front camera insert.”

In my case in setup (in LAND mode) I see only ‘VID+” on the line with AILE numbers when I move the AILE control to 500 or more. I have seen others with ‘VID0’ . Should I be able to change the camera? Should the value “stick”? It does record from the front camera just fine as is.

------------------
Begin(Thank you);
The support for this mod is outstanding (and no doubt exhausting). I did a lot of homework before asking questions but when I finally had to ask they were answered, so THANK YOU! I am pledging the trifling amount of only two percent of the amount I have spent or will spend on my modified AR Drone for Miru’s beer/parts/etc fund (even though he has not asked for any payment). I challenge everyone else to do the same. If you can’t afford 2% of whatever you paid for the Drone and parts then you are spending too much in hardware IMHO.
Gordon2 is offline Find More Posts by Gordon2
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:19 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon2 View Post
I am pleased to announce the birth of yet another Miru Mod AR Drone but I do have two questions...

1. I was disappointed at first when after going through setup, etc. I set the throttle all the way down, flight mode to LAND, turned on the transmitter and booted the drone (as per the README file, Operation section)... checked the emergency function, cleared it, did a FTRIM.. then switched to FM1 and raised throttle.. Nothing. Repeated it... still no launch. Thought it might be the ground camera locking up as described elsewhere so tried different surfaces. Still no go. Tried FreeFlight and it took off fine.. scratched head.

Then found that as long as I set flight mode to LAND, THEN raised the throttle around 25 percent, THEN went to FM1 (or 2) and she took off fine every time. I assume this is not normal behavior? It’s not a problem but I was wondering why it requires some up-throttle in Land mode before it will launch in flight modes.

Throttle values in setup are: Down all the way = -970, centered = 0 and all the way up is 1000. Trim is not used. R/C is Spektrum DX8. Drone 2.
Throttle needs to be in the middle position (best to install a centering spring) in order to launch. This is a bit different that in normal helicopters/quads, but that is how Drone works. Throttle in 0 - hover, throttle up - ascent at constant speed. Throttle down - descent.

Quote:
2. Please help me with the video settings. I can find nothing in README on it and only this comment in this thread: “If you are in LAND, you can cycle through the different offerings by moving the right stick to the right and back. The choices are: front camera, front camera with bottom camera insert, bottom camera and bottom camera with front camera insert.”

In my case in setup (in LAND mode) I see only ‘VID+” on the line with AILE numbers when I move the AILE control to 500 or more. I have seen others with ‘VID0’ . Should I be able to change the camera? Should the value “stick”? It does record from the front camera just fine as is.
By default when powered front camera is selected (if I remember correctly). In LAND (with throttle centered) every time you move AILE stick right it toggles between mentioned video modes. And the mode stays until rebooted (or changed from iDevice/Android).
You can observe which camera is selected on the iDvice/Android (assuming you booted the mod with throttle centered, as otherwise the devices will be blocked).
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Last edited by pawelsky; Nov 19, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:

The drone does not behave like a heli or plane on the throttle stick. The throttle stick just tells it to go higher or lower. On launch it should be at 0 and the firmware will do it's 'auto launch' to an altitude of about 1 Meter if you switch from LAND to FM1 or FM2. You can also flip the switch first and put the throttle stick to 0 for launch.
Quote:

The VID0 comes from an older version of the mod when video switching was done directly from the 'sketch'. When I integrated the drone 2, which has only two video modes (instead of 4 on a drone 1), the VID+ indicates a video bump request to the companion program on the drone. The companion program knows the drone type (1 or 2) and maintains a variable of the current setting, which is incremented for every VID+ request.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Throttle needs to be in the middle position (best to install a centering spring) in order to launch. This is a bit different that in normal helicopters/quads, but that is how Drone works. Throttle in 0 - hover, throttle up - ascent at constant speed. Throttle down - descent.
Ok sounds like it is acting normal.. Just when i saw "To launch, I put the throttle down,.." in the readme file I assumed it meant ALL the way down.

Quote:
By default when powered front camera is selected (if I remember correctly). In LAND (with throttle centered) every time you move AILE stick right it toggles between mentioned video modes. And the mode stays until rebooted (or changed from iDevice/Android).
You can observe which camera is selected on the iDvice/Android (assuming you booted the mod with throttle centered, as otherwise the devices will be blocked).
OK sounds like it is NOT acting normal. I can only get Vid+. AILE goes to value +997 with occasion peak at 1000 but it only shows Vid+.
Can we get a list of the values in addition to Vid+ and what they map to?

thanks and what took you so long to respond

EDIT.. answer come too fast for me to respond.. So maybe this is also normal... well it works and I love it so all is good (except the darn wind wont die down)
Gordon2 is offline Find More Posts by Gordon2
Last edited by Gordon2; Nov 19, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,588 Posts
Quote:
OK sounds like it is NOT acting normal. I can only get Vid+. AILE goes to value +997 with occasion peak at 1000 but it only shows Vid+.
It is OK (see below)

Quote:
Can we get a list of the values in addition to Vid+ and what they map to?
  • LAND/FM1/FM2/FM3 - when switching between flight modes (you go into FM3 by quickly flicking from FM2 to FM1 and back to FM2 with AILE/ELEV centered). FM3 is a GPS mode currently (rev 0019) disabled (please refer to the Readme file that comes with sketch to get clarification of aforementioned flight modes)
  • CFGx (x = 1-4) - when given configuration is selected in LAND (see Readme for instructions on how to select configuration)
  • TRIM - when doing trim with the throttle stick left in LAND
  • ESTP- when settingclearing emergency with throttle stick right in LAND
  • VID+ - every time the video mode is changed with the AILE stick right in LAND
  • ANIx (x = 1-4) - when animation is triggered in flight (see rev 017 changelog for instruction on how to trigger animations)
  • err=x (x = 1-15) - when connection is lost between TX and RX. x counts up and after reaching 15 failsafe landing is triggered

Hope I didn't miss anything
Last edited by pawelsky; Mar 06, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
What would it cost?

Miru, how much would you charge to mod two drones?
GlobalVP is offline Find More Posts by GlobalVP
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
I'm just wondering if any one else has tried using the Linux Navigation example to collect images or the NAVdata directly, while the mod is running? I'd like access to the NAVdata but when I try to get it from the example, it zeros all of the information out. Has anyone else found a way to access this information?
gtDrone is offline Find More Posts by gtDrone
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtDrone View Post
I'm just wondering if any one else has tried using the Linux Navigation example to collect images or the NAVdata directly, while the mod is running? I'd like access to the NAVdata but when I try to get it from the example, it zeros all of the information out. Has anyone else found a way to access this information?
Make a UDP socket and send a binary 1 (little endian, 32 bits) to port 5554 on the drone -> the drone will send Navdata to the port the 1 came from. Same applies to video, use port 5555. Make sure you center the throttle stick when you boot the mod on the drone, otherwise the mod will inhibit WiFi access.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalVP View Post
Miru, how much would you charge to mod two drones?
Sorry, I am too busy at this point in time.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:40 AM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
Can't figure this one out.

I am having trouble getting a good reading in hyperterminal.
I have tried 2 PC's. 3 Arduino's and 4 RX's and still get these readings.
I am running out of options.
Please help.
dante1 is offline Find More Posts by dante1
Last edited by dante1; Mar 29, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
I am having trouble getting a good reading in hyperterminal.
I have tried 2 PC's. 3 Arduino's and 4 RX's and still get these readings.
I am running out of options.
Please help.
Did you try different USB cable? I had a cheep one once and had to throw it away as it was causing problems.

I remember miru once saying that CC lockbits look strange, but not sure if that could cause any problem.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
Figured it out after 6 hours of banging my head.
I have Fail Safe enabled in the sketch and the wire was not connected.
dante1 is offline Find More Posts by dante1
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
Figured it out after 6 hours of banging my head.
I have Fail Safe enabled in the sketch and the wire was not connected.
Maybe we should take the FSAV input out? There are other checks in place now that can detect a 'dead' link.