SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happul3 View Post
I observed this many times with one of the batteries I use: VLBA (red blinking) - I land drone normally in 10-20 seconds - battery level increases, VLBA blinking stops by itself - takeoff - blinking resumes in few seconds as battery level again goes below threshold.
Thanks, makes sense now.

New problem. My v2 Pro Mini Mod stopped working, went back to the v2 Nano Mod and...it's also not working now. Reset the Drone - no difference - and it flies fine with an iPhone. From what I've read previously, this might mean the serial connector has fried.

Telnetted in: ps doesn't show /tmp/at2so.arm as a process, and it's not in /tmp.

Where's the Mod log file in case someone can tell me it's something else? I found messages, but is that the firmware's output?

Edit: I cut the wire between RX0>LV on the level shifter, changed the plug and the Nano Mod works fine on my v1 Drone. So looking more like an actual problem with the v2 Drone's serial connector. Going to try the same with the Pro Mini Mod after I've gone over the wiring again and see if I can avoid blowing that one up too.

Edit2: Well, I've discovered a good way to test the Mod for a v2 Drone is to test it on a V1 Drone first, as it's a lot more robust.

The Pro Mini mod won't let the v1 Drone start up (swapped plugs and cut the wire on that too) and the v1 Drone's LED is Red. Oops... have I fried the v1 drone too? Swapped back to the Nano Mod....Drone still works. Swapped again...still Red LED with Pro Mini....swapped back...Nano (and Drone) still works. So I'll remove the Level Shifter and see if it works as a v1 Mod with resistors to try and find where I went wrong. To ebay for a v2 Mainboard next....
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Nov 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Oct 2011
53 Posts
iDev live video

Long time ago I was able to watch live video on my iDev while mirumod operation. Yesterday I tried again and found that live video cannot be watched on iDev (its almost frozen, only few updates in 10 sec). Is this normal for current version of mirumod and most recent freeflight?
obelix662000 is offline Find More Posts by obelix662000
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Thanks, makes sense now.

New problem. My v2 Pro Mini Mod stopped working, went back to the v2 Nano Mod and...it's also not working now. Reset the Drone - no difference - and it flies fine with an iPhone. From what I've read previously, this might mean the serial connector has fried.

Telnetted in: ps doesn't show /tmp/at2so.arm as a process, and it's not in /tmp.

Where's the Mod log file in case someone can tell me it's something else? I found messages, but is that the firmware's output?

Edit: I cut the wire between RX0>LV on the level shifter, changed the plug and the Nano Mod works fine on my v1 Drone. So looking more like an actual problem with the v2 Drone's serial connector. Going to try the same with the Pro Mini Mod after I've gone over the wiring again and see if I can avoid blowing that one up too.
I would not jump to conclusion that serial port is broken. It is of course possible that the port is broken but it is also possible that you have intermittent serial communication problems due to unfortunate choice of serial port rate. Personally, I've given up on "piggybacking" companion program and since then my drone always starts. To try that, just manually upload (ftp/telnet) at2so.arm to /video/data; comment the first line in sketch (optionally, you can also cut off the arm code at the end of sketch); and reflash the drone.

Alternatively, you can try to getting rid of questionable double rate by moving code that switches tty to 38400 before the transfer of piggyback. Look for unenthusiastic recent post by Miru on how to do that.
happul3 is offline Find More Posts by happul3
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happul3 View Post
I would not jump to conclusion that serial port is broken. It is of course possible that the port is broken but it is also possible that you have intermittent serial communication problems due to unfortunate choice of serial port rate. Personally, I've given up on "piggybacking" companion program and since then my drone always starts. To try that, just manually upload (ftp/telnet) at2so.arm to /video/data; comment the first line in sketch (optionally, you can also cut off the arm code at the end of sketch); and reflash the drone.

Alternatively, you can try to getting rid of questionable double rate by moving code that switches tty to 38400 before the transfer of piggyback. Look for unenthusiastic recent post by Miru on how to do that.
Well, see Edit2 to my post, and I'm fairly sure it might be dead as there is evidently a problem with the Pro Mini Mod. Would still be useful to try and fly it with the Nano Mod, though, if I could telnet the file over.

Two problems:
1) I don't have the tools to compile the .arm file so I could telnet it over. Could you compile it and PM it to me? Or if it's easier than that, explain the steps in a PM?
2) I don't have an editor that shows lines any more. I tried counting pages and lines using Word to get to where miru mentioned the change needed to be, but ended up in the middle of nowhere. What's the function(s) called that are changing and I'll just do a search/replace. Or you could also PM me the altered version and I'll do the channel swap I've done to mine and we'll be cooking.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Aug 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
Well, see Edit2 to my post, and I'm fairly sure it might be dead as there is evidently a problem with the Pro Mini Mod. Would still be useful to try and fly it with the Nano Mod, though, if I could telnet the file over.

Two problems:
1) I don't have the tools to compile the .arm file so I could telnet it over. Could you compile it and PM it to me? Or if it's easier than that, explain the steps in a PM?
2) I don't have an editor that shows lines any more. I tried counting pages and lines using Word to get to where miru mentioned the change needed to be, but ended up in the middle of nowhere. What's the function(s) called that are changing and I'll just do a search/replace. Or you could also PM me the altered version and I'll do the channel swap I've done to mine and we'll be cooking.

You don't need to compile arm code. Considering that you you have at least one drone that works with mod, the easiest thing to do is to copy it from there. Connect your computer to drone with working mod. Telnet 192.168.1.1, cp /tmp/at2so.arm <whatever_folder_ftp_uses>, ftp 192.168.1.1 5551, binary, get at2so.arm. Now you have your own copy Disconnect from that drone and connect to the drone which does not work with mod. Ftp 192.168.1.1 5551, binary, put at2so.arm, bye. Telnet 192.168.1.1, cp <whatever_folder_ftp_uses>/at2so.arm /video/data, chmod 777 /video/data/at2so.arm, exit. That's it.

If you want the alternative approach without manually installing companion program, you need to move this block of code

if ((UCSR0A & _BV(U2X0))) {
/* is using double speed on serial transmitter, which is not good for
* receiver (half sampling rate) -> change baudrate to 38400 to fix this */
SIO_SP("stty 38400\n");
ms_dly(50); sio_rf();
uart_38400();
ms_dly(50); sio_rf();
UCSR0B |= _BV(RXCIE0)|_BV(RXEN0)|_BV(TXEN0);
sio_sc('\r'); /* send a character at new baudrate */
ms_dly(50); sio_rf(); /* wait a while and clear residuals if any */
}

between line

u16_t cks, adr;

and

if (gl.arm.adr != 0) { /* piggy back present */.

By the way, Arduino environment shows line number at the very left bottom corner.
happul3 is offline Find More Posts by happul3
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:48 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Just checked in Hyperterminal after making a new v2 Pro Mini Mod and it's not possible to not change the status of VID+ no matter which order you move the sticks to set Cfg4. As soon as you do TS_Centre with ES_RT, VID+ is selected.

By default the rvid flag is not set in Cfg4, but if it was changed, the camera would switch. Without an iDevice to check the camera view you couldn't tell.
That's only in setup (which is a simplified emulation of the actual behaviour) in normal usage camera does not switch when changing configs (regardless of the rvid flag)
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
All done some pics of the build attached. cant test it fully yet as waiting for my DX6i to turn up, hopefully tomorrow, and also some clear heat shrink wrap to wrap the whole unit up in. I have loaded the config on though and plugged into drone and boots up happy enough so fingers crossed. Total weight of build, 15 grams
SJW2511 is offline Find More Posts by SJW2511
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Motors not starting up

I'm having a problem using the MiruMod on my drone. I have everything connected, and when I'm in Land mode, I can change the different settings and modes, perform a flat trim, and toggle emergency modes fine. However, when I take it out of land mode (and I've verified through HyperTerminal that it should actually be changing the mode), I can't get the drone to take off. Has anybody else had that problem?
gtDrone is offline Find More Posts by gtDrone
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:29 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtDrone View Post
I'm having a problem using the MiruMod on my drone. I have everything connected, and when I'm in Land mode, I can change the different settings and modes, perform a flat trim, and toggle emergency modes fine. However, when I take it out of land mode (and I've verified through HyperTerminal that it should actually be changing the mode), I can't get the drone to take off. Has anybody else had that problem?
Are the motor LEDs green? Can you take off with iDev/Android (without mod connected)?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Are the motor LEDs green? Can you take off with iDev/Android (without mod connected)?
The lights are all green, and it works normally without the mod. I don't currently have a throttle centering lever installed, as I don't have one yet and was assuming that it would still work to some degree without it. Other than that though, everything seems to be up to spec. If it didn't respond to the throttle changes in land mode, I'd think that something was wrong with the throttle channel, but since it does, I can't quite figure it out. When terminal'd into the arduino, I can change from Land to FM1 to FM2 without any problems.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,479 Posts
Quote:
The lights are all green, and it works normally without the mod. I don't currently have a throttle centering lever installed, as I don't have one yet and was assuming that it would still work to some degree without it. Other than that though, everything seems to be up to spec. If it didn't respond to the throttle changes in land mode, I'd think that something was wrong with the throttle channel, but since it does, I can't quite figure it out. When terminal'd into the arduino, I can change from Land to FM1 to FM2 without any problems.
Make sure you center the throttle stick before switching from LAND to FMx. It will not work if the stick is not centered.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Make sure you center the throttle stick before switching from LAND to FMx. It will not work if the stick is not centered.
I just figured out that that was the problem. Since its not self-centering, its next to impossible to tell when it is exactly centered. I switched the pitch and throttle channels, and it took off just fine (although hovering in one place was harder). I'll just break down and get a few extra centering kits. Thanks for the quick response though!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,479 Posts
Quote:
I just figured out that that was the problem. Since its not self-centering, its next to impossible to tell when it is exactly centered. I switched the pitch and throttle channels, and it took off just fine (although hovering in one place was harder). I'll just break down and get a few extra centering kits. Thanks for the quick response though!
It does not have to be EXACTLY on 0, there is some dead band implemented. If your TX has a LCD display you can usually enable some kind of channel monitor that shows you position of all the sticks.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
It does not have to be EXACTLY on 0, there is some dead band implemented. If your TX has a LCD display you can usually enable some kind of channel monitor that shows you position of all the sticks.
You are correct! I managed to get it to fly without any problems. Thank you, Pawelsky. As for the digital display, I purchased inexpensive transmitters, so I do not have one. I'm going to try and get the self-centering levers installed for ease of use though when I can find them.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:49 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Barry
Joined Mar 2012
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW2511 View Post
All done some pics of the build attached. cant test it fully yet as waiting for my DX6i to turn up, hopefully tomorrow, and also some clear heat shrink wrap to wrap the whole unit up in. I have loaded the config on though and plugged into drone and boots up happy enough so fingers crossed. Total weight of build, 15 grams
Nice job

When the Dx6i arrives, don't forget to range check your setup! If you don't get at least 40m check the power setting. If it is set to European spec (EU), change it to American (US). That made a big difference to my setup.
tonyh0905 is offline Find More Posts by tonyh0905