HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
VID+ isn't mentioned in the readme [...]
I think it works, as I get different camera views, but there is no indication from the LEDs that it's actually done anything. I can't find any other reference by searching the forum mentioning whether this command does an XOR on the flag, so is a toggle, or just whether 'RX=V,Z' only sets the bottom camera.

Any chance it could a) be a toggle and b) flash the LEDs to indicate which is currently is? Maybe Red for Downward and Green for Forward? Or 1 Green/ 2 Greens?
It is a toggle, it toggles between available video modes: HORIZONTAL, VERTICAL, HORZONTAL with VERTICAL PIP, VERTICAL with HORIZONTAL PIP

The only indication which one is selected at the moment is the iDevice/Android with Freeflight.

Quote:
Finally, with FreeFlight 1.0 on a Drone v1 you could choose 4 camera views: Front, Down, Front+Down Insert, Down+Front Insert. That's not an option on Freeflight 2.0 for a v2 Drone, but is it possible to select that as an option via the SDK?
According to SDK Drone 2 only supports the first two modes (not sure what happens when you select the not supported ones, probably no change, but you can check by toggling with VID+ stick and observing the display in Freeflight).

Miru looks like that should be limited in the at2so for Drone 2.

EDIT: For Drone 2 it will toggle between HORIZONTAL and VERTICAL camera only (no PIP inserts)
pawelsky is offline Find More Posts by pawelsky
Last edited by pawelsky; Dec 28, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
It is a toggle, it toggles between available video modes: HORIZONTAL, VERTICAL, HORZONTAL with VERTICAL PIP, VERTICAL with HORIZONTAL PIP
The only indication which one is selected at the moment is the iDevice/Android with Freeflight.
Not always going to use/want an iDevice with v2 so won't see this, although if using a V1 to record to the iDevice (only way) the issue is moot, as you would see it

Mainly an issue on the v2 Drone where iDevice Wifi range would be the biggest limit, so would probably USB record and use the 'ignore iDevice' Throttle stick setting on Startup, so relying on LEDs on Drone to indicate VID+ state, as possible to knock stick, change VID+ and not know.

Not quite sure if you're saying it's not possible to interrogate the Drone for the state of the flag and its state is handled internally by the firmware only?

If it's a 'write only' function call, then a global variable to mirror the state would allow tracking and state indication with LEDs.

As camera defaults to Forwards on Startup, init the variable, increment and Modulus it with 4 for V1 Drone or 2 for V2 Drone every time a call to SIO_SP("RX=V,Z\r"); is made on selecting ES_RT/VID+

Could then flash LEDs to indicate variable/VID+ state: Green/Green = HORIZONTAL, Red, Red = VERTICAL, Green/Red =HORIZ+VERT PIP and Red/Green for VERT+HORIZ PIP.
Quote:
According to SDK Drone 2 only supports the first two modes (not sure what happens when you select the not supported ones, probably no change, but you can check by toggling with VID+ stick and observing the display in Freeflight).

Miru looks like that should be limited in the at2so for Drone 2.
If only two states for a V2 , Flashing LEDs would only need to show Green/Green=HORIZ and Red/Red = VERT based on Modulus of global variable value.

Maybe also prevent CFG changing when sticks moved in the 'wrong' order, as shown is possible in previous post (although just not doing it 'wrong' would also work) ?
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Not quite sure if you're saying it's not possible to interrogate the Drone for the state of the flag and its state is handled internally by the firmware only?
Mod knows exactly what camera mode is being set (inside at2so), I'm just saying that no visual representation is currently implemented (other than preview in Freeflight), but it could be done.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
With a v2 Mod, why when I land do the LEDs sometimes flash RED continuously?

I waited for a while in case it was writing video files, but after about 30 seconds of it still doing it I just selected TRIM, ESTP, ESTP and it took off again.

Another time, this didn't work. Trying to take off in FM_1, the LEDs flashed Red 4 times and nothing else happened. Putting the switch back down for LAND, I got (I think) 8 RED LED flashes in a row, a pause, then 8 more.

This 4, 8+8 sequence was repeated every time I toggled LAND/FM_1. After doing this (and TRIM,ESTP, ESTP several times) I gave up, rebooted everything and it took off as normal.

What am I doing wrong?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:49 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
With a v2 Mod, why when I land do the LEDs sometimes flash RED continuously?
Low battery?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Low battery?
It IS that, or it might be?

I wondered about that, but after a reboot it took off and flew for about another minute then I landed it myself with no flashed 'battery low' LEDs. That particular battery is a bit dodgy though, seems to drop to about 50% within 10 seconds of take off and still flies for 10 more minutes on an iDevice.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:07 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
It IS that, or it might be?
Check the battery level in FreeFlight. If it is below the VLBA_THR set in sketch when that happens, then it IS that.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Mod knows exactly what camera mode is being set (inside at2so), I'm just saying that no visual representation is currently implemented (other than preview in Freeflight), but it could be done.
In the ARM code? Ok, if it could be done; great.
Quote:
Check the battery level in FreeFlight. If it is below the VLBA_THR set in sketch when that happens, then it IS that.
Oops, just came in from a testflight and put all the batteries on charge. OK, I'll check that next time it happens, especially with that particular battery.

Am I just not looking hard enough for the part of the docs where all the various LED flashes are explained/listed (like the 4, 8+8 when toggling LAND/FM_1 with a possibly flat battery)? Or was some of it added within the last 15 months and so is not in the Docs? VID+ isn't mentioned in ReadMe, for example.

Discovered VID+ does just toggle the 2 available modes on a V2 through Freeflight. 2.1

I also found that the wifi from my Transmitter just swamps my iPhone, as sticking the iPhone case to the Transmitter with velcro means Freeflight says "No Wifi Found", or if it does get through, it almost immediately gives a 'Video Connection Lost' error. Moving it about a foot away seems to help, so might have to invest in one of those "iTouch" armbands Candu1 got back here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post21253921
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Am I just not looking hard enough for the part of the docs where all the various LED flashes are explained/listed (like the 4, 8+8 when toggling LAND/FM_1 with a possibly flat battery)? Or was some of it added within the last 15 months and so is not in the Docs?
See UFO-Doctor docs about VLBA (http://mirumod.tk/doc/doc.php) and change history for versions 008 and 009 (http://mirumod.tk/sw/older.php)

Quote:
VID+ isn't mentioned in ReadMe, for example.
See change history for version 013 (http://mirumod.tk/sw/drs013.php)

Quote:
I also found that the wifi from my Transmitter just swamps my iPhone, as sticking the iPhone case to the Transmitter with velcro means Freeflight says "No Wifi Found", or if it does get through, it almost immediately gives a 'Video Connection Lost' error. Moving it about a foot away seems to help
That is to be expected as they both operate on the same 2.4GHZ frequency. You need to move you iDev away from TX to avoid interference.

P.S. Transmitter does not use WiFi
Last edited by pawelsky; Dec 28, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
See UFO-Doctor docs about VLBA (http://mirumod.hopto.org/doc/doc.php) and change history for versions 008 and 009 (http://mirumod.hopto.org/sw/older.php)

See change history for version 013 (http://mirumod.hopto.org/sw/drs013.php)
I've read the docs and rx2atp.c about the VLBA. Nothing there that covers the LED sequences I saw, just mentions that the LEDs flash Red when VLBA is triggered with a frequency of 5Hz.

If the battery was so low that VLBA was triggered, I hadn't expected it to take off again, hence my question.

If it was VLBA, should it be possible to 'reset' it with TRIM,ESTP,ESTP when you still can't take off (or sometimes you can)?

I guess the behaviour I expected from the VLBA was: If landing has occured after VLBA is triggered, - even if done immediately and there is 14.99% battery available - then no amount of TRIM,ESTP,ESTP resetting would allow take off again and the LEDs would continue to flash Red at the VLBA frequency, so a new battery would be required to fly again.

No idea what the 4, 8+8 LED sequence was trying to tell me when I went to FM_1 and back to LAND the last time. I'll make a video if it does it again.
Quote:
That is to be expected as they both operate on the same 2.4GHZ frequency. You need to move you iDev away from TX to avoid interference.
Well, not entirely expected, as 'Tutorial Miru Part 3_V4.pdf' goes into some detail about how to clamp your iPhone to the front of a DX6i. I did the same with a Velcro stuck to the back of a spare iPhone case and I'd hoped the channel hopping of the Rx/Tx would avoid the iPhone's frequency, but....apparently not when only inches away from the aerial.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
P.S. Transmitter does not use WiFi
Not sure what you mean by that. When calibrating the Tx: if it is turned on, my PCs all lose Wifi connectivity until I turn it off again, so it's in the same 2.4Ghz range. Same as my CCTV cameras and my Video transmitters (interference was so bad, I upgraded them all to 5.8Ghz)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
I guess the behaviour I expected from the VLBA was: If landing has occured after VLBA is triggered, - even if done immediately and there is 14.99% battery available - then no amount of TRIM,ESTP,ESTP resetting would allow take off again and the LEDs would continue to flash Red at the VLBA frequency, so a new battery would be required to fly again.
VLBA has nothing to do with the possibility to take off. It just starts to flash red when the threshold is reached. Nothing more. It is Drone's firmware that decides to land (and not allot to take off anymore) when there is not enough juice left to continue flying.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
VLBA has nothing to do with the possibility to take off. It just starts to flash red when the threshold is reached. Nothing more. It is Drone's firmware that decides to land (and not allow to take off anymore) when there is not enough juice left to continue flying.
OK, so if the amount of battery left is still enough that the firmware thinks it safe to fly you can reset the VLBA flashing and take off (as presumably you could set the VLBA to 80% if you wanted to)? Only when it is really low will the firmware stop that behaviour?

That makes sense. What was confusing was the 4, 8+8 LED sequences I saw when the battery was too flat to fly. The standard VLBA 5hz flashing would probably be enough, as that's explained in the docs.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that. When calibrating the Tx: if it is turned on, my PCs all lose Wifi connectivity until I turn it off again, so it's in the same 2.4Ghz range. Same as my CCTV cameras and my Video transmitters (interference was so bad, I upgraded them all to 5.8Ghz)
I meant exactly what I wrote. Your TX does not use WiFi to communicate with the receiver. It only operates on the same 2.4GHz frequency which may cause interference with WiFi signal.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
OK, so if the amount of battery left is still enough that the firmware thinks it safe to fly you can reset the VLBA flashing and take off (as presumably you could set the VLBA to 80% if you wanted to)? Only when it is really low will the firmware stop that behaviour?
Again, VLBA has nothing to do with the firmware, it just starts blinking LEDs when your battery goes below defined level. That's all. The strange sequences you saw were probably caused by the fact that Drone was signalling different operations (such as trim or emergency reset) with the same LEDs. Don't try to make it more complex than it actually is.

P.S. The maximum value for VLBA is 60, anything more than that will disable VLBA feature.
Last edited by pawelsky; Nov 11, 2012 at 05:24 PM.