Fioulmaster is offline Find More Posts by Fioulmaster
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:15 PM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fioulmaster View Post
In this video, we can see that is possible to take the 3.3 V of Motherboard drone V1.
Could we get that power source for a GPS that works in 3.3V?
This would avoid to add a UBEC or an external regulator.

What do you think? It is doable?
First of all - this ruins the whole P&P idea of the mod.

Secondly - unless you know how much current the 3.3V regulator in Drone can provide - you better be careful with that

UBECs are really cheap, it is really not worth the effort.
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:28 PM
France, PCh, Poitiers
Joined Oct 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
First of all - this ruins the whole P&P idea of the mod.

Secondly - unless you know how much current the 3.3V regulator in Drone can provide - you better be careful with that

UBECs are really cheap, it is really not worth the effort.
It was just a question, sorry. I've got an UBEC on my drone for an Heli lightning system (Turnigy). So no problem for me.
Fioulmaster is offline Find More Posts by Fioulmaster
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post

As to your timing theory: I wondered about that but don't have a clue. I don't get my parts from Sparkfun etc. as I'm in the UK, so get them from ebay. Maybe they're not all the same?
My pro mini board is a chinese clone - that's what was included in the kit sold to me by macdrones.

Quote:
So maybe my drones both 'talk too much'. Any way for me to change that? I'd love to telnet in, but I wouldn't know what I was looking for. Is there a log created during startup anywhere?
You can determine what happened to companion program. Make wifi connection to drone when it is in that special state. Then type "telnet 168.192.1.1" followed by enter or whichever ip drone uses. You should get busybox commant prompt. Type "ps" followed by enter. You'll get list of processes. Look for /tmp/at2so.arm in that list. If you see it it means companion program has been transferred ok and runs. If you do not see it on the list, type "ls /tmp" to see if the program has even been transferred. With such manipulations you can get a better idea of what's actually goes wrong.
happul3 is offline Find More Posts by happul3
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:22 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viaggiatore View Post
Today I tested the GPS, working very nice. I have a Drone 2 with FW 2.2.6, stored pilot019.arm on USB stick.
I saw that the pilot log files are stored in /data/video/usb1 (which for me is a mount on Drone memory, not USB stick).
Is this the way it is supposed to work? I understood that the logs were going to be written on the USB stick.

Thanks
This is true and most likely a bug. I had during development a stick, that was mounted twice, once as the whole stick (/data/video/usb), the second time through a partition table that was on the stick (/data/video/usb1). I will fix that in the next release.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:27 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Is it normal that the Mod won't finish startup if the FTDI breakout board is still attached to a PRO Mini? But works fine if it's not?

I posted this video, mod on Nano, a month ago: Won't finish startup.

Miru mentioned that the 2nd attempt (of 4) looked strange - although I thought it was supposed to do slow flashes until I turn the Tx on (it will do this forever, I only waited a few seconds in the video), then flash faster and carry on - so we never got to discussing the 1st one where it got stuck. Went on holiday before I could post a better video.

Back from holiday and I resoldered everything and still get same intermittent startups. In case the Nano was faulty in some way, I built a new mod on a new Rx with a Pro Mini instead of a Nano, got drs019 and tried it on a completely new Drone (still a 1.0).

It wouldn't complete at all. Got stuck in the same place. All Drone lights are Green, Pro Mini stops with a solid Green + Red LED after the brief flicker from the Drone lights at the end of the sequence.

Started to make a video - without the FTDI board for tidiness - and it started up perfectly. Tried 5 times, worked every time. Put the FTDI board back on: 5 failures.

Couldn't spot mentioning removing the FTDI board in the tutorials (although it's not visible in the pictures in the Tutorial photos), but I wondered: could whatever the FTDI board is doing that the Nano board does by itself (USB etc.) be the same reason why I get intermittent startups with my Nano setup? If so, can I do anything about it?
The FTDI board on the ProMini or FTDI chip on the Nano use the same serial port that you connect to the drone! It is one OR the other (FTDI or DRONE). The mod works on a Nano only if you do NOT connect the USB connector once you plugged in the drone and power it up.
Last edited by miru; Oct 03, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
I am trying to play with the code to allow the drone to zoom in on a person. To do this I am trying to override the RF commands and create internal commands at that flight mode.
I imagine I can use something similar to the return home function (but in the arduino code) to navigate the drone near by, assuming I get the GPS coordinates of that person.
Question #1: how unrealistic is my goal?
Question #2: is there a description of the arduino-drone interface (other than the comment in the code)?
Question #3: is it possible to use the drone's wifi capabilities to figure the person's direction compared to the drone in order to make fine-tuning?

thanks
tale_v is offline Find More Posts by tale_v
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Barry
Joined Mar 2012
303 Posts
GPS flight data in Google Earth

Here are a couple more examples of GPS flight data overlayed on Google Earth.

Ar Drone flight with GPS Google Earth Overlay (2 min 54 sec)

and

Ar Drone flight with GPS Google Earth Overlay 2 (2 min 14 sec)

The KMZ. files to view in Google Earth can be found here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16093445/P0edit.zip.kmz
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16093445/P3edit.txt.kmz
tonyh0905 is offline Find More Posts by tonyh0905
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:13 PM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,750 Posts
Converter corrections

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh0905 View Post
Here are a couple more examples of GPS flight data overlayed on Google Earth.
Nice bird chase

Looking at Tony's logs I've noticed some errors in converter (first waypoint wrong, waypoint additional data incorrect, some additional markers not displayed or displayed incorrectly). This is now fixed. You may want to re-convert your old logs.
Last edited by pawelsky; Oct 09, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
303 Posts
Quote:

I think my auto land problem on my last flight was caused by my orientation to the RX antenna, so I'm going to install one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html
Locate it in the back side of the drone..... I might try for 700 ft then
Installed the satellite receiver tonight, so the next calm day we have I'll be range checking, and maybe go for that record
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
There is no reason why the technology of the Mirumod can't be used. It would be fairly easy for me to generate a version that does not do any control attempts (no RC), it would just read the GPS data and insert it into the the Navdata stream. Downstream it would also be possible to add a barometer and/or compass to fill in the missing data for drone 1..
Quote from the GPS thread on ArDrone Flyers.

Rather than releasing a separate version of the mod to allow for idev control and data logging through the mod, would it be possible to make this the default action for the mod if there is GPS data present, but no TX found?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Aug 2012
121 Posts
Is it viable to add barometric sensor to Miru mod setup for drone 1? I may be missing something but it seems like a fairly simple addition: arduino board receives and interprets throttle stick position anyway. So why can't it take input from bmp085 ($7) or ms6511 ($22) and implement vertical stabilization by injecting necessary up/down commands when throttle is centered? To avoid conflicts with ultrasonic module, the input from barometric sensor could be taken into consideration only after certain altitude (relative to reading at launch) is reached.

Personally, I find the lack of vertical stabilization very troubling whenever I take drone high enough to make it difficult to judge whether it is gaining or loosing altitude. Barometric sensor would make drone 1 almost worry free like drone 2 for 10x less money Thoughts, comments?
happul3 is offline Find More Posts by happul3
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:43 AM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,750 Posts
Quote:

Rather than releasing a separate version of the mod to allow for idev control and data logging through the mod, would it be possible to make this the default action for the mod if there is GPS data present, but no TX found?
So far there are no apps that make use of that so I would vote no. Let's save space for more useful features.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
Quote:

I am with Pawelsky and vote no. This would produce a lot of 'dead' code for people not doing RC and propably a lot of confusion if things are not working right.