SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Ah right, okay thanks.

Still cant get the pro mini to work tho altho the behaviour has now changed: instead of the solid LED right from the beginning, it seems the mod loads properly and then blinks waiting for the Tx to be switched on. At which point (switching the tx on) it blinks once and then goes solid. In setup all works fine but connected to the drone it's a definite no-go. My nano build responds and loads as it should so I think I can rule out a mobo issue. Funny thing is, I measured the voltages again and only get 7volts on Raw. Wasn't that supposed to be 12V?

Edit
Just removed the plug to check things again and the earth from drone came loose, so getting grnd from one of the other lines probably the cause. Will reconnect and post back

Edit2
That was it
RHTizzy is online now Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Last edited by RHTizzy; Sep 12, 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: found cause
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Barry
Joined Mar 2012
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
  • Pilot program writes a log file to permanent storage on an external drive or the drone's /data/video directory (drone 1 or no USB stick on drone 2). The log file format is in ASCII, aka human readable.
    Pawelsky helped me a lot and wrote a wonderful piece of software that can pick up one of these log files and convert it to something Google Earth understands! This way one can display a recap of a flight on GE with all the things that happen. I hope he finds a way how to give everybody access to this very useful tool.
  • Decided pilot is not ready for prime time -> disabled for now

Note: I am still not happy with the pilot program's navigational skills, especially on a Drone 1 which has a problem reporting changes in it's heading when certain events occur. On a Drone 2 the challenge is that the heading data is referenced to magnetic North and the GPS data is referenced to 'true' North. The solution to this will have to wait until I can spend a lot more time on it, which is hard to come by at the moment. There seem to be some new GPS units out which don't use the SirF protocol, they have a way to report the magnetic heading, which would take out a lot of extra software.

I have uploaded pilot19.arm to my drone 1.0, and rev.19 to the mod. All looks good in setup, and an indoor test flight went well too. Looking forward to an outdoor test tomorrow

Above you said that the pilot program is not ready for release, but you also say the pilot program handle the flight data logging. Is it just the RTH that's not ready or all of the pilot functions?

If the flight data logging is working, how is it activated?, or will it record flight data from multiple flights?

Thanks again for the ongoing work, looking forward to trying out rev.19

Cheers

Tony

Edit:

Please disregard my questions, as trial and error has answered them

BTW Pawelsky, log converter worked perfectly, thanks
tonyh0905 is offline Find More Posts by tonyh0905
Last edited by tonyh0905; Sep 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Sep 2012
47 Posts
Yei! It works!!!

So yesterday I got my new motherboard (after burning it and getting the steady light on in the arduino!) and everything worked perfectly.

Today I tested until my battery died and, I am a very happy camper!

Only thing I found:

After flying about 25 feet, it goes into automatic land mode. It happens horizontal, and vertical... New batteries in the TX.

What it could be? Is there any way there is a log of what happens before landing? I don't think is the distance, maybe a faulty RX but how to know?

I am using v019, ardrone 2.0, arduino 3.1

Tomorrow I will play again and get another battery!
vectorcharlie is offline Find More Posts by vectorcharlie
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
Has anyone tried using a Spektrum DX5e remote? In theory, will it work with a 6 channel RX?

Thanks
dante1 is offline Find More Posts by dante1
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh0905 View Post
BTW Pawelsky, log converter worked perfectly, thanks
That's one cool pic!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Pawelsky, log converter worked perfectly, thanks
Glad it works. BTW you have a nice test field!
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobbin View Post
I have the mod on my Drone 1 and am happy with it. I purchased the Drone 2 and find that the hover won't maintain its position...I have to keep correcting it. Another issue is that my battery life is much shorter on the new drone. I took capture of the down facing camera on the Drone 1 and then the Drone 2 with the same battery...Note the batter remaining on the Drone 2 went down from 51% to 19%. The image is fuzzy on the Drone 2...I got a replacement camera with the same result.
Got my drone 2 back from Parott. It now holdS a position in hover. The downward facing camera is much clearer. I did my first flip.
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
XR-4Drone.com
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
Confused

I am having a bit of a problem.
I have 3 original drone and when I connect the mod, it goes through the whole boot sequence and then the blue and orange LEDS on the Arduino Nano go solid. I tried it in SETUP mode and everything looks perfect.
I read on a post that someone was having the same issue and replaced the mainboard. I went ahead and replaced my board and still the same issue.
I would understand if it was one drone, but this is happening on three drones.

BTW, works perfectly on an iDevice.
Please help

Thanks
dante1 is offline Find More Posts by dante1
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Mar 2012
298 Posts
GPS logging

I did another test flight of rev.19 today, and found something odd with the flight data logging.

When I set my 'home' position the gps was recording my altitude as -2.2m! This is ok in itself, especially as I was close to the coast, and very nearly at sea level.
The problem is that Google Earth reports my 'home' position at 20m, so it appears that the majority of my flight took place underground

I also recorded my altitude on the flight with a 'How High RT'(in feet) and produced a graph, it appears to me that if I were able to add 22.2m to every altitude record in the log, it would bring my flight above ground level in Google Earth, and be close enough the actual data recorded.

Pawelsky, would it be possible to add a 'GE sync' button to the log converter, allowing users to enter the altitude GE reports at their home position, and have the converter algorithm adjust all the altitude data before the .kmz file is created?

I synchronised the clock on my 808#16 camera to the GPS clock, so at any point along the flight path I can see what the drone was seeing...this new capability of the mod is very cool

GPS flight data logging (3 min 57 sec)
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Pawelsky, would it be possible to add a 'GE sync' button to the log converter, allowing users to enter the altitude GE reports at their home position, and have the converter algorithm adjust all the altitude data before the .kmz file is created?
The terrain in GE is not flat, so adding a constant may work for your particular case, but it will not work in general (e.g. for those flying over some hills)
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
newest revision source code

I'm just wondering how the mod activates the serial port on the drone 2.0. From what I can find online, the port (on both 1.0 and 2.0) needs to be activated. I've checked this on the 2.0 and I do not have voltage coming off of the port. Is there any copy of the source code available online? I need to use the serial port to communicate with a gps module without the use of the arduino. I'm using the gps data in conjunction with aerial images for mapping between multiple drones.
gtDrone is offline Find More Posts by gtDrone
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
The terrain in GE is not flat, so adding a constant may work for your particular case, but it will not work in general (e.g. for those flying over some hills)
I think what Tony is asking for is an option to change the baseline. If I'm not mistaken, GPS is notorious for getting it's sea level altitude reading wrong and adjusting the altitude starting point is something that even TomTom (car navigation, go figure) had when they started out. Basically adding 1 question should cater for all: Adjust altitude by how much? Seems handy to me too.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:00 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
I think what Tony is asking for is an option to change the baseline. If I'm not mistaken, GPS is notorious for getting it's sea level altitude reading wrong and adjusting the altitude starting point is something that even TomTom (car navigation, go figure) had when they started out. Basically adding 1 question should cater for all: Adjust altitude by how much? Seems handy to me too.
I believe problem here is not in the GPS reading which seems pretty much correct (Tony's mentioned his home position was pretty much on the see level), but the accuracy of Google Earth's terrain representation which if I'm not mistaken is +/- 30m.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
I believe problem here is not in the GPS reading which seems pretty much correct (Tony's mentioned his home position was pretty much on the see level), but the accuracy of Google Earth's terrain representation which if I'm not mistaken is +/- 30m.
Actually you and Tizzy are both right!

That particular flying field is about 5-10m above sea level, so the gps was inaccurate (looking at the raw data the whole flights altitude data was pretty poor), but also Google Earth's estimate of 20m was also way out.

That is why what I proposed was a Google Earth synchronisation box (where you can enter the altitude of your home position as reported by Google Earth). This wouldn't help with the GPS's poor vertical performance, but would have the effect of lifting you flight profile above ground level (according to Google Earth). What I found was that as you try to zoom in on way points, they disappear below the ground.

This may only be a problem on sites close to sea level, as my first test flight was at a site 87m ASL, and the data displayed perfectly.

It would be nice though, if you find your flight data is lower than ground level as reported by Google Earth to be able to make an adjustment.

Edit:

I challenged a friend of mine who's pretty good on Excel, to make the adjustments I was talking about, to the original .txt file.

Well between the two of us we managed it, and I think the results speak for themselves!
Last edited by tonyh0905; Sep 17, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
hey miru thank you for such a clever way to use the drone
i wast able to make it work with drone2 because i need to order that level converter, insted i found a drone 1 and it worked great

i want to ask the forum what is the recommended firmware for this mod for drone 1 ?

and i have 1 more issue, after a crash, I'm getting Ultrasonic error on screen
i check both boards, and i found a missing element, and i need to know how to replace it... i don't know if its a resistor or a cap, seems to be a resistor, but i need to know the value, can anybody help me with this ?

( between where it say Q7 and Q4 there are 5 smd resistor/caps,,, from the top to the bottom the 2nd one ) . Without this the sonar its not working and the mod is not working neither
Andresc4 is offline Find More Posts by Andresc4