Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:46 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topangler View Post
Hello All, I'm just in the process of gathering the parts to complete this mod, I'm very new to arduino, I have the software connected and talking to a Leostick (I wanted to get ahead of the game while I wait for my arduino pro min to be delivered)
My question is what s required to to get the mod on to the Leostick, just curious.

Neil
The Leostick uses an Atmega32U4 processor, which has the USB interface built in, this way there is no need for the FTDI chip and therefore sharing the UART. It also can do 16Mhz at 2.7...5V! Looks like an interresting alternative to the Nano. Unfortunately there are no schematics for the board. From what I can tell looking at the pictures on the website, it has a LED on D9 and D10.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
The Leostick uses an Atmega32U4 processor, which has the USB interface built in, this way there is no need for the FTDI chip and therefore sharing the UART. It also can do 16Mhz at 2.7...5V! Looks like an interresting alternative to the Nano. Unfortunately there are no schematics for the board. From what I can tell looking at the pictures on the website, it has a LED on D9 and D10.
The schematic (Eagle sch) is available. The link to Github is on the Freetronics page. Looks like you'd need a 3.3 or 5V regulator to power it - I'd be leery of pulling the 5V off the Drone board header pins. Cool little device but the only real advantage is USB connectivity of the 32U4.
robk2544 is offline Find More Posts by robk2544
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:12 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robk2544 View Post
The schematic (Eagle sch) is available. The link to Github is on the Freetronics page. Looks like you'd need a 3.3 or 5V regulator to power it - I'd be leery of pulling the 5V off the Drone board header pins. Cool little device but the only real advantage is USB connectivity of the 32U4.
Found it, unfortunately there is no power regulator on board. One would have to use an external one.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
You could probably pull 5V regulated off the USB connector of the Drone (either the pins or the USB connector on Drone2) but I don't know if the Drone's board will tolerate the extra current of the atmega board, receiver, leds, GPS, etc. Probably a low dropout regulator on the 12V line would be best. Someone should lay out 1 board with 328P, level matching FETs, diagnostic LEDs, USB or Serial TTL connector. I stink at surface mount...
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:56 PM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Predappio
Joined Aug 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Miru tried out a couple of modules so he may be able to comment it this one is any good.

BTW I'm not familiar with Ardu project, but you may want to make sure it will work with serial interface (and not i2c) GPS (Mirumod requires serial)
Yep, the serial one works with Ardu, I'll definetly will try the MT3329, it's cheap and I understood well tested with MiruMod and Ardu.

Thanks
Viaggiatore is offline Find More Posts by Viaggiatore
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
Has anyone experienced poor performance with 018 and ArDrone firmware 1.10.10? It seems the motors don't spin as fast. I just put ball bearings, shafts, gears and props on my Drone - barely gets a foot off the ground. It will respond to all stick movements fine, turns, rotates, forward, backward, just no power for lift. Does downgrading the firmware to 1.7.11 help? I tried all flight configurations - cfg4 won't even lift off with a fully charged stock battery.
Thanks!
Rob
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:55 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone experienced poor performance with 018 and ArDrone firmware 1.10.10? It seems the motors don't spin as fast. I just put ball bearings, shafts, gears and props on my Drone - barely gets a foot off the ground. It will respond to all stick movements fine, turns, rotates, forward, backward, just no power for lift. Does downgrading the firmware to 1.7.11 help? I tried all flight configurations - cfg4 won't even lift off with a fully charged stock battery.
Thanks!
Rob
When this happens to me, for some reason I manage to have the throttle stick a little below center.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
When I push the stick past center, I don't get any more power. I looked at the serial monitor and the numbers look good on all sticks - what should the max value be on the throttle? This radio is a little strange - Planet T7 - doesn't allow a whole lot of adjustment. The strange thing is all 4 motors are slow, not just one or two.
Thanks-
Rob
Last edited by robk2544; Sep 08, 2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: hit the wrong key...
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:28 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,437 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!
Rob
I've observed noticeably worse handling with 1.10.10 firmware compared to 1.7.11, but I did never notice problems with not enough power to liftoff.

Do you see the same with the original bushings? Not sure what kind of ball bearings you use, but some of them are a bit taller than the original bushings making it pretty tight fit and possibly causing some friction.

Have a look at the bottom of this page for a possible fix:

http://dronescapes.com/dronepage3.html

Another possible fix can be found in this post (you need to log in to see he picture that explains the problem.

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/...php?p=938#p938
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
I've observed noticeably worse handling with 1.10.10 firmware compared to 1.7.11, but I did never notice problems with not enough power to liftoff.

Do you see the same with the original bushings? Not sure what kind of ball bearings you use, but some of them are a bit taller than the original bushings making it pretty tight fit and possibly causing some friction.

Have a look at the bottom of this page for a possible fix:

http://dronescapes.com/dronepage3.html

Another possible fix can be found in this post (you need to log in to see he picture that explains the problem.

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/...php?p=938#p938
Thanks for the advice. The props spin freely, as you can see in the photo the kit consisted of (4) 2.5mm and (4 )2.0mm - I put the thicker sealed bearings on the bottom and the thinner bearings open side down on the top. There is at least 1/2 mm "play" in the shaft after the gear and prop is installed, nothing binding. Maybe I'll try reversing the bearings. The old bushings, shafts and props seemed to be louder, possibly even moving more air - this new setup sounds like it wants to speed up but can't. But other things have changed too since the old setup so it's hard to tell.
Doesn't make sense...
Rob
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
Makes no sense but downgrading to 1.7.11 gave me a bit more altitude and definitely snappier control. But, the throttle position is now critical when booting the Drone and arduino - if it's not in just the right position it either never "connects" with a slow single blink or the D13 LED stays solid lit, no 12Hz flicker. Plus, to take off, I have to drop the throttle below center and raise it again above center. I guess I have to study rx2at a little more.
Rob
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Makes no sense but downgrading to 1.7.11 gave me a bit more altitude and definitely snappier control. But, the throttle position is now critical when booting the Drone and arduino - if it's not in just the right position it either never "connects" with a slow single blink or the D13 LED stays solid lit, no 12Hz flicker. Plus, to take off, I have to drop the throttle below center and raise it again above center. I guess I have to study rx2at a little more.
Rob
That's what I wondered was stopping mine getting to the 12hz flicker, as it only takes a hair's breadth nudge to show some throttle in hyperterminal, but Miru says it is ignored until connected when it needs to be zero to go from land to fm1, which us way past that point. So what's your solution ( and reasoning) ?
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
That's what I wondered was stopping mine getting to the 12hz flicker, as it only takes a hair's breadth nudge to show some throttle in hyperterminal, but Miru says it is ignored until connected when it needs to be zero to go from land to fm1, which us way past that point. So what's your solution ( and reasoning) ?
I wish I had a solution! It only started when I downgraded the Drone firmware from 1.10.10 to 1.7.11. It's got to have something to do with the "NSQUIET" or "NS_BOOT" as discussed here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2365

Look at the routine starting at line 1776 (in v0.18) - I'm going to try a longer NS_BOOT tomorrow, but I'm not a C programmer, miru is very good. I can see his dilemma of many different setups and making the software work with all combinations of TX, RX, Arduinos, etc. I think it is a simple timing issue. Looks like I'll have to run 2 wires out from D13 to an external LED to monitor what's going on when the shell is on...

Rob
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:14 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,212 Posts
Quote:
When I push the stick past center, I don't get any more power. I looked at the serial monitor and the numbers look good on all sticks - what should the max value be on the throttle? This radio is a little strange - Planet T7 - doesn't allow a whole lot of adjustment. The strange thing is all 4 motors are slow, not just one or two.
Thanks-
Rob
Check in SETUP mode if there is any interaction between the throttle stick channel and the switches.The throttle channel, as well as all the others, ideally goes from -1000...0...+1000, which represents a pulse width range from 1.1ms...1.5ms...1.9ms .
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Check in SETUP mode if there is any interaction between the throttle stick channel and the switches.The throttle channel, as well as all the others, ideally goes from -1000...0...+1000, which represents a pulse width range from 1.1ms...1.5ms...1.9ms .
Thanks for helping out. No sticks or switches interact. Aile and Elev are approx -950 ...+1025. Aux1 (3 pos sw) is -1602...0...1487, but works - shows Land, FM_1, FM_2. Thro is odd -890...0...1354, showing CFG1.
Should at2so load and run if Aux is -1602 and Thro is 0?
On another note, I timed the Drone boot to green LEDs at 18 seconds. Would increasing NS_BOOT to 20 or higher help connect better? I didn't have this connection problem with 1.10.10 firmware, but 1.7.11 seems to perform better.
Thanks much-
Rob