HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Miru, can this be changed in the sketch that disconnected unused AUX/GEAR channels will not cause TX off alert? The HW modification would not be then necessary.
Rev 0.19 has that implemented.
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:42 AM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAN.GER View Post
I've just checked I have a problem with camera.
I cannot use mirumod RC together with wifi connection for camera streaming.

scenario 1:
tx off
wifi on android off
ar.drone power up
wifi on android on
connected well
camera is viewable live
tx power up - no controlling


scenario 2:
tx on
wifi on android off
ar.drone on
mimod loaded and connected
wifi on android on
awaiting IP
...and nothing more
of course camera is not visible

I checked it both with ar.drone paired and not with my wifi in android.
Power up the TX first with the throttle stick centered, otherwise the mod will make arrangements to dump any WiFi traffic from the outside.
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:38 AM
Registered User
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapulino View Post
I think the battery life is quite similar in both models.
In my opinion may be more a matter of firmware installed.
What's your version of firmware in 2.0?
Well..I don't have the Drone with me..but it was the latest available from Parrot.
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:41 AM
Registered User
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I get about the same flight time of 9...10 minutes on both drones not pushing too hard. Just fly your D2 battery on your D1 and check. If you get less flight time, the battery might be no good. You can do it also the other way around and check if your D2 flies longer on the D1 battery. I did notice that the calculation of the battery percentage on a D2 is not as responsive as on a D1.
I have several batteries...so...I use a separate Lipo charger to charge all my lipo's I seems as if the Drone 2 has a much shorter flight time. I will do additional tests and post the results between both Drone 1 and 2.

Thanks
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Registered User
Germany, NDS, Nienburg
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Hello miru,

that's a fine work. I've done the mod and everything is working well on the bench.

To prevent the drone from flying off (or better: to get a chance to find it if it should happen), I want to use one of the cheap GPS tracker (TK102).

This tracker uses NMEA protocol and a baudrate of 4800.

As I understand, your GPS program uses 57600 bit and the SIRF protocol.

I want to try to use this GPS tracker as a GPS module for the drone. I'm a little expereinced in programming Arduino and would try to rework the pilot.arm code for another baudrate and protocol if the source code is public. Is it published anywhere?
trechus is offline Find More Posts by trechus
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:25 PM
Registered User
pawelsky's Avatar
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trechus View Post
Hello miru,

that's a fine work. I've done the mod and everything is working well on the bench.

To prevent the drone from flying off (or better: to get a chance to find it if it should happen), I want to use one of the cheap GPS tracker (TK102).

This tracker uses NMEA protocol and a baudrate of 4800.

As I understand, your GPS program uses 57600 bit and the SIRF protocol.

I want to try to use this GPS tracker as a GPS module for the drone. I'm a little expereinced in programming Arduino and would try to rework the pilot.arm code for another baudrate and protocol if the source code is public. Is it published anywhere?
Mod uses NMEA and current v0.18 still uses baud rate autodetection (it will be fixed to 57600 in v0.19 which is not out yet) so you can use your GPS with it.

BTW the communicaiton with GPS is done in the sketch not the pilot.arm so you already have the code.
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Mod uses NMEA and current v0.18 still uses baud rate autodetection (it will be fixed to 57600 in v0.19 which is not out yet) so you can use your GPS with it.

BTW the communicaiton with GPS is done in the sketch not the pilot.arm so you already have the code.
Just a small correction, v0.19 autodetects the incoming baudrate and then sets it to 38400.
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:32 PM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I'll check that FTDI pin 26 fix, when I get a chance.
While waiting for parts, I had a chance to check this out. Most of my Nano's V3.0 and V3.1 have the FTDI chip pin 26 (TEST) grounded, even though the schematics for the V3.0 shows it open (I have just one like that). If you have one like that, pin 25, the one next to it, has GROUND, so a simple intentional solderbridge will remedy the problem.
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
121 Posts
Folks,

I've been a happy user of Miru's excellent mod with my original Drone (prebuilt kit from macdrones). But today something weird happened: When I start drone normally (1. sticks centered/switch=land; 2. radio on; 3. connect drone battery) I see that arduino led triple-blinks (waiting for boot); then turns on (drone leds are green at that moment); then starts single-blinking slowly and drone leds turn red. In that state, drone is nonresponsive, does not react to any stick movements and does not accept wifi connections (does not assign ip address). Surprisingly, everything can be made to work fine with one small change in start-up procedure: leave the radio off while plugging in drone battery, the drone goes through normal boot-up (red then green leds), the arduino single-blinks indicating absence of radio; now turn radio on, arudino leds go through normal sequence, drone leds do green/red blinking and voila the drone is fully controllable.

I looked through the source code and it does not surprise me that the second scenario works; arduino program essentially waits for several conditions to be satisfied before uploading/running arm code. But why does it fail when radio is on from the beginning? And why did it not fail yesterday or a week ago? I did not even crash drone today.... I tried but failed to find what part of code is responsible for slow blinking...

Any clues? Many thanks in advance.
happul3 is offline Find More Posts by happul3
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:08 PM
Registered User
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happul3 View Post
Folks,

I've been a happy user of Miru's excellent mod with my original Drone (prebuilt kit from macdrones). But today something weird happened: When I start drone normally (1. sticks centered/switch=land; 2. radio on; 3. connect drone battery) I see that arduino led triple-blinks (waiting for boot); then turns on (drone leds are green at that moment); then starts single-blinking slowly and drone leds turn red. In that state, drone is nonresponsive, does not react to any stick movements and does not accept wifi connections (does not assign ip address). Surprisingly, everything can be made to work fine with one small change in start-up procedure: leave the radio off while plugging in drone battery, the drone goes through normal boot-up (red then green leds), the arduino single-blinks indicating absence of radio; now turn radio on, arudino leds go through normal sequence, drone leds do green/red blinking and voila the drone is fully controllable.

I looked through the source code and it does not surprise me that the second scenario works; arduino program essentially waits for several conditions to be satisfied before uploading/running arm code. But why does it fail when radio is on from the beginning? And why did it not fail yesterday or a week ago? I did not even crash drone today.... I tried but failed to find what part of code is responsible for slow blinking...

Any clues? Many thanks in advance.
Drone LEDs going red sounds like the 'busy' down looking camera problem. Try putting it on a different surface when it boots.
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:09 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
27 Posts
adruino nano stabilizator burned away

yesterday, while long flying with 1800mAh battery,
suddenly ar.drone stopped to response for tx commands.
he was around 120 meter away and 10 metres over the ground.
I've seen his pretty well on the sky, but not later where he landed.

(this screenshot is from my ground software with gps received from ar.drone live, very first time)



Congratulations to miru for his good software:
in this situation ar.drone hovers until 15% of battery, then lands! gently and safely!
I had to only find him in bushes.

the reason: stabilizator chip on ardruino's board burned away!
(did someone warned us about, in this forum some time ago?)
on arduino board there is 78M05 chip which runs under 150mA.
I suppose my rx+gps together with adruino chips just take more,
when it needs to make 5V from 11V of LiPo.

I decided to make some small changes to the original miru diagram.
(this burned small chip is on the reverse side of board)



it's easy, and with 7805/1A offers you more power for additional equipment in the future. for only rx+gps this 7808 chip does not need even radiator. all new parts below $4.
JAN.GER is offline Find More Posts by JAN.GER
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:25 AM
Registered User
pawelsky's Avatar
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAN.GER View Post
I decided to make some small changes to the original miru diagram.
(this burned small chip is on the reverse side of board)



it's easy, and with 7805/1A offers you more power for additional equipment in the future. for only rx+gps this 7808 chip does not need even radiator. all new parts below $4.
You may consider getting this 5$ UBEC and power everything directly via the 5V line bypassing the regulator on Arduino completely.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...V_5A_UBEC.html
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:35 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
27 Posts
sure!

(BTW: but it weights over 7grams!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
You may consider getting this 5$ UBEC and power everything directly via the 5V line bypassing the regulator on Arduino completely.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...V_5A_UBEC.html
JAN.GER is offline Find More Posts by JAN.GER
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:49 AM
Registered User
pawelsky's Avatar
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAN.GER View Post
(BTW: but it weights over 7grams!)
That's the smallest one we could find (with reasonable price and quality)

You can always remove hull skin (13-19g for v1.0) if your drone gets to heavy

http://dronescapes.com/dropagenotes.html
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:08 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Drone LEDs going red sounds like the 'busy' down looking camera problem. Try putting it on a different surface when it boots.
Thank you for the suggestion, I tried many (6) different surfaces, but no change whatsoever. Why is the "camera busy" problem happens only on start-up and only when mod program is running?

Is there any other troubleshooting I can do? Could you please explain which part of the code is responsible for slow blinking? Is it dr_loop()? Why is it so slow (1 blink per 2 sec; 0.5Hz)?
happul3 is offline Find More Posts by happul3
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo RC Controlled AR.Drone w/o WiFi! nosaari Multirotor Talk 116 Mar 14, 2014 02:23 PM
For Sale Parrot AR Drone w/TX/RX mod *Flies Nice* Z06 Tony Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Apr 16, 2011 09:42 PM
Discussion Wifi Boosted AR.Drone Fallengod Multirotor Talk 7 Feb 12, 2011 10:52 AM
Discussion And yet another AR drone Arial Video project taudronis Multirotor Talk 17 Dec 07, 2010 11:04 AM
Sold Parrot AR.Drone Four rotor platform control with your iPodTouch/iPhone/iPad Hoverup Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Oct 12, 2010 03:54 PM