HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:59 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine7 View Post
Hi,

I'm just getting started, so please forgive the newbie questions I have an AR Drone 1.0, and I've been gathering up the parts to make the MiruMod (using a Nano). I would also like to add GPS, as the "runaway" issues are something that concern me.

Looking at the GPS page on miru's site, there are some possible choices listed. I see a lot of people talking about the 3.3v LS20031 unit, but I'm curious if there are any advantages to the 5v units, such as the MT3329 that he lists (it also seems to be the cheapest one)? While on that DIY Drone website, I also ran across a different unit (https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_GPS_...r-3drlea-6.htm) that claims better performance and accuracy, recommended for multicopters.

Has anyone had any experience using this 3DR unit? It's only 16 grams, so it doesn't seem that much different from other models, but potential gains in accuracy may help some of the RTH discussions in earlier posts?

Thanks!
The 5V units are definitely easier to interface but not quite as good as the others from what I experienced. I'll have to get my hands on this 3DR when it comes out.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:56 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I have been bogged down by work, bad parts received and other things. This way I could not spend the time I would have liked to in this project. There will be a new release within the next week and here is what is coming:
>>>>SNIP<<<<
The release will be published as soon as I have received good parts and had a chance to test it on my drones.
Sounds like a lot of something worthwhile Can hardly wait!

Now to get the T9x to implement FM3 (switch to \ or verify FM2, then switch to FM1 and quickly back again to FM2) on failsafe. I'm now using a FrSky DJT with true failsafe which means the rx can be programmed to execute a certain control state on signal loss. If I program a switch specific to RTH then it should be possible to activate the rx with it. Conceptually it seems like it could work but I'll post the settings back if I can indeed get it going...
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:17 AM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,758 Posts
Quote:
[*]Pilot program writes a log file to permanent storage on an external drive or the drone's /data/video directory (drone 1 or no USB stick on drone 2). The log file format is in ASCII, aka human readable.
Pawelsky helped me a lot and wrote a wonderful piece of software that can pick up one of these log files and convert it to something Google Earth understands! This way one can display a recap of a flight on GE with all the things that happen. I hope he finds a way how to give everybody access to this very useful tool.
For those interested here is how the converter tool looks like (disabled until 0.19 release).

http://mirumod.tk/tools/log_converter.php
pawelsky is offline Find More Posts by pawelsky
Last edited by pawelsky; Dec 28, 2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: New website address
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2 Posts
After collecting all the parts I also am going to first modify my drone 1, and later drone 2..

But I am stuck with 2 simple questions...

I am using a Walkera Devo 10 remote.
When in setup mode everything works fine. But I want to set the failsafe on my remote and I have no idea what the Miru Mod needs to get into the failsafe mode. I can select several options on my remote, like servo hold or a specified setting... What should I set? At this moment when I power my TX down all the numbers go to 0. and FM_2 is still displayed......

Second question is about the throttle stick, Mine is always all the way down. What are the value’s for the throttle for setting it correct in the setup. Now it goes from: -995 with the stick all the way down. ( my neutral) to 1000 all the way up. Is this correct or should I change the slope in the devo 10?
Mr_Pinooo is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Pinooo
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Pinooo View Post
After collecting all the parts I also am going to first modify my drone 1, and later drone 2..

But I am stuck with 2 simple questions...

I am using a Walkera Devo 10 remote.
When in setup mode everything works fine. But I want to set the failsafe on my remote and I have no idea what the Miru Mod needs to get into the failsafe mode. I can select several options on my remote, like servo hold or a specified setting... What should I set? At this moment when I power my TX down all the numbers go to 0. and FM_2 is still displayed......
Set it up so it sends a very low throttle value (-150%) when it looses the TX.
Quote:

Second question is about the throttle stick, Mine is always all the way down. What are the value’s for the throttle for setting it correct in the setup. Now it goes from: -995 with the stick all the way down. ( my neutral) to 1000 all the way up. Is this correct or should I change the slope in the devo 10?
-995 ... 1000 is fine, just keep in mind the drone gets launched with center stick (0) and flipping a switch.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
If you don't use the GSWO feature pin 10 does function as an additional SETUP input. Since you are using the Nano, pin 11 can be reached through the ICSP connector (see schematics of the mod) and all you need to get the mod into SETUP mode is a jumper on the ICSP connector.

Make sure the SETUP jumper is removed and your wiring Drone <-> Nano is correct. Do NOT connect the PC to the Nano once the drone is plugged in. Turn on your TX make sure you switches are set to LAND and center both sticks, then plug in the battery on the drone and observe what the Nano LED does.
Hi,Miru. My Drone still cannot be controlled and I had found the reason. The TX & RX pin on the Arduino Nano always output 5V no matter how I control the DX7i. But on the hyperterminal can be controlled by using the USB wire.The wiring is conrrect. So what should I do to make TX & RX output singal change? Do I need to add a level shifer for Drone 1.0? By the way, what's the setup on ICSP of Nano means and how to setup?
suoshi009 is offline Find More Posts by suoshi009
Last edited by suoshi009; Aug 14, 2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Barry
Joined Mar 2012
303 Posts
Quote:
  • New pilot program. Depends on correct setting of drone heading!
    If you plan to use FM3 on a drone 1:
    !!!MAKE SURE YOUR DRONE 1 IS LOOKING NORTH WHEN YOU DO A FTRIM!!!
Note: I am still not happy with the pilot program's navigational skills, especially on a Drone 1 which has a problem reporting changes in it's heading when certain events occur. On a Drone 2 the challenge is that the heading data is referenced to magnetic North and the GPS data is referenced to 'true' North. The solution to this will have to wait until I can spend a lot more time on it, which is hard to come by at the moment. There seem to be some new GPS units out which don't use the SirF protocol, they have a way to report the magnetic heading, which would take out a lot of extra software to implement.

The release will be published as soon as I have received good parts and had a chance to test it on my drones.
How much difference are you seeing between the performance of the drone1 vs. drone2 with GPS?

TBH I have been toying with the idea of upgrading to a drone 2.

I am happy with the way drone 1 performs with the mod rev. 18, but if the advantages of the added sensors, and improved processor power make the GPS RTH function a more usable feature, that would swing the decision for me.

Regardless, I am very much looking forward to rev. 19...the data logging, and Google Earth tie-in are the killer app so far as I am concerned
tonyh0905 is offline Find More Posts by tonyh0905
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:43 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,808 Posts
Just got my FlySky CT6B, has anyone got a Mirumod compatible config file for it that they could PM me?

(Are things like this available for download anywhere and I missed it? )

It arrived the day after my Drone 2.0 and boy is there an improvement in performance to my Drone 1.0 Where I fly there is wifi interference from a few nearby houses with my 1.0, so it wobbles as it flies past them, but not a problem with the 2.0 at all. Can't wait to get that sort of performance and more on my 1.0 with the Mirumod.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Aug 15, 2012 at 06:03 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:59 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
rev 0.19 delay

Sorry guys, I have been sent on the road last Tuesday and will not make it back until Wednesday next week... so no testing until then.
miru
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:08 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Barry
Joined Mar 2012
303 Posts
Quote:
Sorry guys, I have been sent on the road last Tuesday and will not make it back until Wednesday next week... so no testing until then.
miru
It's a pain inthe a$$ when work interferes with your hobby ....we understand!!
tonyh0905 is offline Find More Posts by tonyh0905
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,808 Posts
Anyone successfuly tried one of these for their Drone 1?

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/H...H8DHAdFNPBU%3d

I wondered if perhaps it protrudes out of the bottom of the drone too far.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Aug 2012
27 Posts
Hello, and welcome everyone here. Because I'm newbie here. I'm over 50y.old with no tx experiences. But I'm technican man. I try to start with my ar.drone 2 and T6A tx by arduino nano and plus gps.

I stucked in point 8 of UFO Doctor's tutorial Part1_V9.
I see arduino data from rx, with at2so attached ok.
Lucky me, I established and conncted hardware ok.
But values from my tx are going weird!

how to set tx correctly?
and how it should react correctly?
any step-by-step instruction how to tx should control ar.drone?

T6A is programmable by USB. and there are heli-90 heli-120 heli-140 ACRO modes for pre-configuration. which one?
JAN.GER is offline Find More Posts by JAN.GER
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:48 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAN.GER View Post
Hello, and welcome everyone here. Because I'm newbie here. I'm over 50y.old with no tx experiences. But I'm technican man. I try to start with my ar.drone 2 and T6A tx by arduino nano and plus gps.

how to set tx correctly?

T6A is programmable by USB. and there are heli-90 heli-120 heli-140 ACRO modes for pre-configuration. which one?
The drone does not have a swash plate like a heli, you need to set up your TX in ACRO mode, meaning NO mixing of the stick channels.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAN.GER View Post

how to set tx correctly?

If I'm not mistaken, the T6A is a rebranded FlySky FS-CT6B. ssgtmacgyver uses this TX for the mod, so you might want to contact him.

Like miru already said, for starters the TX should be in ACRO mode.
heazky is offline Find More Posts by heazky
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
27 Posts
ok. thanks miru, thanks heazky.

it helped, but not finally.
is there any tutorial what should we set in configuration of tx? and what observe in terminal from arduino?

what is mean: CFG1 VID+ TRIM ESTP on the right of values? and for what values should it display (in which line)?

I assume that LAND_ means the drone stays on the ground.
FM_1 means one of falying control mode we can set.

after I set ACRO mode for tx, how to set switch A and B and VR A and B.
both NULL?

also, when turn tx off (out of range simulate) I got 15 RX down message on temrinal top,
and all values are zero. in tutorial there are AUX1 -1200 and GEAR 1186 in this case.
which version is correct?
JAN.GER is offline Find More Posts by JAN.GER