HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
To be fair it's designed for people who don't know how to do stuff like that. Otherwise they'd just make their own.

He's on these forums, so you could always try sending him a message. He had a bunch of spare centering levers for the 9x and mailed me one at his expense, so he's an extremely generous guy -> ssgtmacgyver
Thank you this is nice to know.
drone_droid is offline Find More Posts by drone_droid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:27 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,412 Posts
MiruMod + GPS

In case someone is interested in a very simple way of installing the mod on the AR.Drone I'm sharing pictures on my setup. Basically I use 2 black plastic cable ties, that wrap around the velcro straps in the battery compartment of the Drone. No need to cut any holes, etc. it is fully P&P and can be easily removed.

The GPS module can of course be easilly detached if not needed.

In case someone wonders what are the pins next to USB port used for, these are connected to 2 spare channels (7&8 of the receiver) and can be used e.g. to connect servos for camera pan&tilt or some switches. There is also a connector to attach external power (if Nano's regulator cannot cope) and one pin to power it from Nano (if the power requirements are not too big). These pins can also be used for binding the receiver and after disconnecting the 12v pin from the drone, also for powering Nano itself from external power source.

On the opposite side yo can also see the setup pins.

PROS of this setup:
- easy to install/remove
- additional functions (such as extra channels, and power options)
- all components located close to the Drone's center of mass (so flight characteristic should not be affected)
- fits nicely under the hull - no need to drill holes in it

CONS:
- can't see Arduino/GPS leds with hood on

EDIT: you can connect external LED (with resistor) to pin 13 to solve that problem, also as of rev019 (thanks miru) after moving the throttle stick down while in LAND it will also show the GPS state.
pawelsky is offline Find More Posts by pawelsky
Last edited by pawelsky; Sep 30, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:35 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
In case someone is interested in a very simple way of installing the mod on the AR.Drone I'm sharing pictures on my setup. Basically I use 2 black plastic cable ties, that wrap around the velcro straps in the battery compartment of the Drone. No need to cut any holes, etc. it is fully P&P and can be easily removed.

In case someone wonders what are the pins next to USB port used for, these are connected to 2 spare channels (7&8 of the receiver) and can be used e.g. to connect servos for camera pan&tilt or some switches. There is also a connector to attach external power (if Nano's regulator cannot cope) and one pin to power it from Nano (if the power requirements are not too big). These pins can also be used for binding the receiver and after disconnecting the 12v pin from the drone, also for powering Nano itself from external power source.

PROS of this setup:
- easy to install/remove
- all components located close to the Drone's center of mass (so flight characteristic should not be affected)

CONS:
Now that's nice and compact, I wish I could get mine looking that neat. Do you still get a good fix with the gps under the hood like that or do you fly with the hood off?
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:57 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
Now that's nice and compact, I wish I could get mine looking that neat. Do you still get a good fix with the gps under the hood like that or do you fly with the hood off?
Can't tell for sure until the v0.19 with logging enabled is out but so far I could only measure signal levels while connected to PC and did not see any significant difference with or without the hood.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:24 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,197 Posts
Quote:

PROS of this setup:
- easy to install/remove

CONS:
The output driving the Arduino LED is D13. Maybe it should show the GPS status when one moves the throttle all the way down?
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:02 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
The output driving the Arduino LED is D13. Maybe it should show the GPS status when one moves the throttle all the way down?
Interesting idea.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:57 AM
France, PCh, Poitiers
Joined Oct 2011
77 Posts
My Custom Mirumod

Quote:

PROS of this setup:
- easy to install/remove

CONS:
This is my Mod with Rx led and ARduino Led removed.
See that:
Mod with Setup Plug:

Mod with Bind Plug:

On the Drone with FTDI, Green led=Arduino, Red Led=Rx:
Fioulmaster is online now Find More Posts by Fioulmaster
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
I've been prototyping the connection between the rx (turnigy 8 chan) and an arduino uno, everything works fine; I was able to setup the tx, made sure all the digital pins had the right channel by using the terminal test program. Now I've moved the rx to a nano but am running into trouble; when I connect the bare nano to my windows 7 64 pc, it installs the driver and creates a com port. But when I attach the rx (signal pins and +5v and gnd) exactly the same way as on the uno, windows doesn't recognise it anymore and installs an "unknown device". I have signals on the D pins, rx + to 5v on nano, and rx gnd to nano gnd next to the d2 pin. Somehow having the rx attached messes up the ftdi connection? Anyone seen this before?
CopyCatz is offline Find More Posts by CopyCatz
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyCatz View Post
But when I attach the rx (signal pins and +5v and gnd) exactly the same way as on the uno, windows doesn't recognise it anymore and installs an "unknown device". I have signals on the D pins, rx + to 5v on nano, and rx gnd to nano gnd next to the d2 pin. Somehow having the rx attached messes up the ftdi connection? Anyone seen this before?
Maybe that will help:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=58183.0
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
It's not that issue; I've been digging up some other usb cables, with some I get the nano recognized and the port works.. But when I use the terminal nothing shows up with ctrl b, then restarting the terminal connection gives me some leftover text bits from the test program.. It must be a power issue, maybe I should just complete the build and connect it to the ar drone for more juice.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:24 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,412 Posts
Quote:
It's not that issue; I've been digging up some other usb cables, with some I get the nano recognized and the port works.. But when I use the terminal nothing shows up with ctrl b, then restarting the terminal connection gives me some leftover text bits from the test program.
Do you ground the setup pin? (D11)

Quote:
It must be a power issue, maybe I should just complete the build and connect it to the ar drone for more juice.
I believe miru was warning to not do that (i.e. connect the drone power with Nano connected to USB)
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:41 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,197 Posts
Quote:
It's not that issue; I've been digging up some other usb cables, with some I get the nano recognized and the port works.. But when I use the terminal nothing shows up with ctrl b, then restarting the terminal connection gives me some leftover text bits from the test program.. It must be a power issue, maybe I should just complete the build and connect it to the ar drone for more juice.
The W7 USB driver takes it's good time to figure things out and sometimes gets confused when the mod starts before it got things figured out. I changed in rev 0.19 the mod startup, it also waits in SETUP mode for the RX pin (TX from PC) to go active before it turns on it's TX, which reduces the number of driver insertion failures.

Pawelsky is right! Do NOT power the Nano from 2 sources! It's either USB OR the DRONE.

I'll check that FTDI pin 26 fix, when I get a chance.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
The W7 USB driver takes it's good time to figure things out and sometimes gets confused when the mod starts before it got things figured out. I changed in rev 0.19 the mod startup, it also waits in SETUP mode for the RX pin (TX from PC) to go active before it turns on it's TX, which reduces the number of driver insertion failures.

Pawelsky is right! Do NOT power the Nano from 2 sources! It's either USB OR the DRONE.

I'll check that FTDI pin 26 fix, when I get a chance.
Thanks Miru, I'll wait for that then. I'm kinda novice in the world of electronics, I can do my share of c programming, but wiring stuff up without the knowledge of what's going on makes me nervous

On that note, if it's not too much trouble could you or someone else explain the right side of the logic level converter in the ar drone 2.0 schematic? I don't really understand where the 1.8v is coming from when I connect both rx channels and the lv together?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:42 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Miru, I'll wait for that then. I'm kinda novice in the world of electronics, I can do my share of c programming, but wiring stuff up without the knowledge of what's going on makes me nervous

On that note, if it's not too much trouble could you or someone else explain the right side of the logic level converter in the ar drone 2.0 schematic? I don't really understand where the 1.8v is coming from when I connect both rx channels and the lv together?
Check http://mirumod.tk/hw/arduino_nano/arduino_nano.php , it shows the wiring. Check http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/B...verter-v10.pdf for the schematics of the level shifter. I am using the resitor branches to generate the 3.3V for D1 or 1.8V for D2. The drone is always on the LV side and the Arduino on the HV side.
Last edited by miru; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,521 Posts
Ok, apologies for the noob question, but if I'm going to build one of these for my 1.0, does the newer wiring diagram for 1.0 and 2.0 mean that I'll be able to swap it safely if/when I upgrade to a 2.0 drone with just a minor change to the connections on the level shifter?
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan