SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2012, 03:02 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
I'm hoping someone with a newer Turnigy 9x can help. This is my first RX transmitter so this is a bit new to me. I've just put my mod together and loaded it with the default sketch (should I change anything here?). I've followed Miru's guide on how to configure the transmitter (http://mirumod.hopto.org/hw/turnigy9x.php), but my transmitter has different options. Where it says program the mix's at the bottom, instead of the requested ACT, GYR, FLP, the options I have are ACT, INH, GEA, RUD, THR, ELE, and AIL. Which am I supposed to use?

I've also put the cables from the Audrino in channels 1 through 6, instead of the documented THRO, AILE, ELEV, RUDD, GEAR, AUX1 ( in that order I have 1-6 channels wired). This was just my assumption, and I'm not sure if I've wired that properly. I've soft wired them for now (not soldered), so moving them around is trivial if required.

If anyone can provide some guidence, I'd really appreciate it.
This post provides some inside to what you need http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=571. Next tip would be to use the hyperterminal diagnostic mode (mentioned in the MiruMod tutorial) to verify which channel corresponds to what you need based on the picture above. You can then either change your wiring or change your mixes on the Tx.
RHTizzy is online now Find More Posts by RHTizzy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 03:58 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
I'm hoping someone with a newer Turnigy 9x can help. This is my first RX transmitter so this is a bit new to me. I've just put my mod together and loaded it with the default sketch (should I change anything here?). I've followed Miru's guide on how to configure the transmitter (http://mirumod.tk/hw/turnigy9x.php), but my transmitter has different options. Where it says program the mix's at the bottom, instead of the requested ACT, GYR, FLP, the options I have are ACT, INH, GEA, RUD, THR, ELE, and AIL. Which am I supposed to use?
Do you have CH-5 and CH-6 enabled in AUX-CH menu?

I guess GYR=GEA
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Last edited by pawelsky; Dec 28, 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: New website address
Old May 25, 2012, 09:10 AM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
I have gotten it to work in hyper terminal, but I must admit, I wasn't really sure exactly what I was supposed to be seeing for each input. I do know that I would see 'LAND' show up when I moved the left stick up at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Do you have CH-5 and CH-6 enabled in AUX-CH menu?
I set channel 5 to GEAR, and channel 6 to Thro hold as per the instructions.

Quote:
I guess GYR=GEA
That was my guess to, but there were others that didn't match as well that I couldn't infer.

Once I do figure this out (hopefully with some help) I'll write up a tiny guide with a diagram to make this easier for my descendants.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Last edited by Exploding Fist; May 25, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:04 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
I set channel 5 to GEAR, and channel 6 to Thro hold as per the instructions.
I don't have the FW anymore that I used to create the instructions (replaced it with er9x) but here are two more things you can check

1) make sure you have ACRO selected as model type (not HELI nor GLID) in the System Settings -> Type Sele - looks to me like you may be in HELI mode.
2) when selecting master and slave in mix menu make sure you go through all the possible options with +/- buttons. FLP was before GYR if i remember correctly
Old May 25, 2012, 06:32 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
I don't have the FW anymore that I used to create the instructions (replaced it with er9x) but here are two more things you can check

1) make sure you have ACRO selected as model type (not HELI nor GLID) in the System Settings -> Type Sele - looks to me like you may be in HELI mode.
2) when selecting master and slave in mix menu make sure you go through all the possible options with +/- buttons. FLP was before GYR if i remember correctly
That was the problem! Thank you very much for your help and the guide. You're awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
This post provides some inside to what you need http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=571.
Thanks for this. It looks like everything matches Mode 1.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:44 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
So I've just stuck the temp wired mod in with electrical tape and gave it a fly. The only issue I can see (which may be intentional) is that the throttle is reversed. Pull the stick back and it goes forward, and vice versa. Does anyone know how to invert this? It feels a bit weird, especially because no other inputs (like elev) are reversed.

Besides that, when I crashed the drone and all the LEDs went red, the only way I could get it to fly again was to pull the battery and put it back in. Is there a way to 'reset' the drone without doing this?

Thanks.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:11 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
The only issue I can see (which may be intentional) is that the throttle is reversed. Pull the stick back and it goes forward, and vice versa. Does anyone know how to invert this? It feels a bit weird, especially because no other inputs (like elev) are reversed.
You can reverse channels in your TX, here is the manual:

http://www.modelsandall.co.za/produc...are/imax9x.pdf

See section 9.1

Quote:
Besides that, when I crashed the drone and all the LEDs went red, the only way I could get it to fly again was to pull the battery and put it back in. Is there a way to 'reset' the drone without doing this?
Switch to LAND and move the throttle stick RIGHT (depending on the MODE you are using this will be either left or right stick) - that will reset any emergency ERROR (or trigger USER EMERGENCY when needed)

BTW, you should read the readme that comes with the mod to better familiarize yourself with its operation and configuration. Also you can practice how the various functions work in SETUP mode.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
The only issue I can see (which may be intentional) is that the throttle is reversed. Pull the stick back and it goes forward, and vice versa.
BTW, the throttle stick is the one that moves your drone up and down. The elev stick moves it back and forward.
Old May 27, 2012, 03:35 AM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
You're a big help once again. I didn't have the manual for my TX.

I've read through the README included with the mod as suggested, and it looks like the Operation section answered all my questions.
Old May 27, 2012, 05:33 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
That was the problem! Thank you very much for your help and the guide. You're awesome.
Glad it worked. I've updated instructions on the webpage (http://mirumod.tk/hw/turnigy9x/turnigy9x.php)
Last edited by pawelsky; Dec 28, 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: New website address
Old May 28, 2012, 03:42 AM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
So I've done a lot of learning and testing today. I've made some notes for things that seem odd.

1. When connected with HyperTerminal, I notice that when moving the Rudd right, it displays VID+. What is this? I can't find this in the documentation. I was hoping it would start the video record process on the drone, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

2. When I compiled the app with:

#define S_LAND S_GEAR
#define S_FMOD S_AUX1

The controls seemed to work, but Hyper terminal would only refresh the screen about 3 times a second, like the CPU on the Audrino was being hammered. When I set them both back to S_AUX1, it went back to what appears to be like 100 times a second. Seemed like a potential bug, so I noted it down to report.

Now I figured I'd share a frustrating story. I noticed that the receiver I have in the mod keeps the last communication provided by the transmitter, which would make the drone fly away in the event that it went out of range. Looking at the code I noticed you suggest connecting to the 'connected' LED on the receiver, allowing your software to tell if the transmission is lost. I thought this was ingenious, so I gave it a try. The LED on the receiver is surface mounted, but I attempted to connect a wire to the LED anyway. This probably wouldn't have been an issue, and I think I did connect it, but I was dumb and wanted to see if I could get a big glob of solder on the connector to hold the wire in place securely. I ended up pulling out the LED, and frying the connection path on the board. %!@#!

I waited until I calmed down and hoped that the LED wasn't needed as a diode. I stripped a piece of wire and carefully placed it between two componants that before and after the LED. Success! Now that I had a wire in place, I soldered a wire to the wire path and connected it to the Audrino board. The software reports TX lost now when I turn off my transmitter.

I've added some epoxy to keep the bandaid from pulling off.

On a side note. I've discovered that CAT-5/6 cable you might have lying around works very well for this mod (see above) if you don't mind untwisting the pairs. You get 6 cables that are different colours. Only annoying part is not having red/black.
Last edited by Exploding Fist; May 28, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 04:23 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
1. When connected with HyperTerminal, I notice that when moving the Rudd right, it displays VID+.
That is for switching the cameras (same as you can do with iDevice)
Old May 28, 2012, 04:39 AM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
That is for switching the cameras (same as you can do with iDevice)
Ahh. Thanks.

Maybe Miru could put starting/stopping record from the LAND position or a different channel on his feature request list. That's the only thing I can see that I would NEED the ipad/android for.
Old May 28, 2012, 04:47 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Maybe Miru could put starting/stopping record from the LAND position or a different channel on his feature request list. That's the only thing I can see that I would NEED the ipad/android for.
I was actually thinking about suggesting the same (e.g. stick up - start recording, stick down - stop recording). It would need some visual notification though to confirm it actually started/stopped recording.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:18 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
I was actually thinking about suggesting the same (e.g. stick up - start recording, stick down - stop recording). It would need some visual notification though to confirm it actually started/stopped recording.
Besides doing the on/off, there is also the issue of recovering the data if you don't have an iDev connected. I'll experiment with the USB stick on the drone 2, but don't know what to do on a drone 1. Any suggestions?
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru