Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 10, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
Miru:

Thank you for your detailed instructions. I used the 2.4G CT6B 6-Channel Transmitter+Receiver and of course the Arduino Pro Mini.

The only problem I have is that I am not able to recoginize the loss of signal. I followed your suggestion of setting the throttle low and rebinding but it did not work.

The other concern is that there is no low battery indicator.
rrobbins6111 is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins6111
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 03:38 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TlPro View Post
Thank you
Zterm works out.
Can anyone tell what the grd to pin 10 should do. I dont see any difference if connected or not?
It tells the program on the Arduino to enter setup mode after start. This is where you need the terminal emulator connected to it. Type Ctrl-B and you should see the output of 'rx2atp'. Check the README file (section SETUP) on what to do.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old May 10, 2011, 03:48 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins6111 View Post
Miru:

Thank you for your detailed instructions. I used the 2.4G CT6B 6-Channel Transmitter+Receiver and of course the Arduino Pro Mini.

The only problem I have is that I am not able to recoginize the loss of signal. I followed your suggestion of setting the throttle low and rebinding but it did not work.

I don't know this TX/RX, what do you get on the receiver side when you turn the TX off?
As for the battery low indicator, I use a count down timer in the DX7, it beeps when I am at the end of my flying time (9 minutes). The drone will throw an emergency and land if it thinks the battery is too low.
Old May 10, 2011, 04:00 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Quote:
Miru:

Hey bro....I helped a little didn't I?? Need to read the directions to see how to set fail safe. I ordered one of the TX/RX combinations also...not sure how they can sell them so cheap....at any rate...I'll look into the fail safe setting..ie. what you want the receiver outputs to do when signal is lost.

So your iPhone won't show battery level...Maybe you can borrow your grand daughter's iPad and try that....
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Old May 10, 2011, 04:02 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
Grounding pin(10) and hitting ctrl b will have the arduino spit out data via zterm
actionplus is offline Find More Posts by actionplus
Old May 10, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I don't know this TX/RX, what do you get on the receiver side when you turn the TX off?
As for the battery low indicator, I use a count down timer in the DX7, it beeps when I am at the end of my flying time (9 minutes). The drone will throw an emergency and land if it thinks the battery is too low.
This receiver just keeps sending whatever it was sending before the signal was lost.

Could please provide information on how parameters CFG_OUTDOOR and CFG_NO_SHELL affect flight.
rrobbins6111 is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins6111
Old May 10, 2011, 10:07 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,213 Posts
Quote:
This receiver just keeps sending whatever it was sending before the signal was lost.

Could please provide information on how parameters CFG_OUTDOOR and CFG_NO_SHELL affect flight.
Check rjrobbin's post above, he ordered the same TX/RX and will look into it. Check into fail safe settings if you don't want to wait.

They affect the gains in the control loop of the drone. If OUTDOOR is on, it exspect to deal with wind, if CFG_NO_SHELL is on it knows it has less weight to control.
Last edited by miru; May 10, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:53 AM
Denmark (Europe)
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Great job doing this mod Miru. I have previously been using the fine mods from Mheeli and Nosaari. This one is however a bit easier and it works fine for me as well.
On the Mac I used ZTerm to check the signals however it caused my MacbookPro to crash several times!

Unfortunately Spektrum DX6i transmitters which Im using dont have any 3 position switch, so I use the 2 position Gear version...
What does the FTRIM action actually do?
I see the LEDs blinking but dont see any changes in behaviour, whereas the EMERGENCY Action is quite obvious...
TlPro is offline Find More Posts by TlPro
Old May 11, 2011, 09:02 AM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
Ftrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TlPro View Post
Great job doing this mod Miru. I have previously been using the fine mods from Mheeli and Nosaari. This one is however a bit easier and it works fine for me as well.
On the Mac I used ZTerm to check the signals however it caused my MacbookPro to crash several times!

Unfortunately Spektrum DX6i transmitters which Im using dont have any 3 position switch, so I use the 2 position Gear version...
What does the FTRIM action actually do?
I see the LEDs blinking but dont see any changes in behaviour, whereas the EMERGENCY Action is quite obvious...
FTRIM is to level your gyros. Just like the IDevice. It is called Flattrim. You do that on a flat surface and then youhave FUNNNNN!

On the Mac, get into Terminal.
Then type "screen". Its a Unix tool in Mac. Serves as a hyperterminal.
That may work. I have not tried it yet, but I was told by someone yesterday. But you will need to read about it on the net to set it up this application.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:06 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
Gps

You know what miru. I was think, maybe hack into a gps system like Magellan or Navigon. So, we route a waypoint using the GPS systems. Then have that data be dumped into the drone.

Meaning have the drone be driven by a mounted GPS on the drone itself. Too heavy you think for the Drone??
Old May 11, 2011, 07:29 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionplus View Post
You know what miru. I was think, maybe hack into a gps system like Magellan or Navigon. So, we route a waypoint using the GPS systems. Then have that data be dumped into the drone.

Meaning have the drone be driven by a mounted GPS on the drone itself. Too heavy you think for the Drone??
There are quite a few inexpensive small GPS receivers out there, there is no real need to hack into one. www.sparkfun.com just told me I had received a bad one... So I'll have to wait and see. Just ordered another one for about $40. You brought up a good point, how in the world are we going to get waypoints communicated to the system such that everybody can do it. Initially, I think 'hover in place' is a good starting point. Then the RTL function (Return To Launch) is a good way postponing this problem. There are quite a few challenges ahead before it can do those two things (e.g. finding out what the current heading is, dealing with GPS errors and so on).
Old May 11, 2011, 10:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
The just released Arducopter 2.0 is a good reference for GPS RTL function:
http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/bl...-20-beta-first
MAPGPS is offline Find More Posts by MAPGPS
Old May 12, 2011, 12:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
685 Posts
Modifications to this program are not for the faint of heart. You need a
toolchain for the ARM processor that can generate programs for Linux on the
drone. At this point I use:
arm-2010.09-50-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.tar
on a Linux box.

miru. eNd qUOTe

Ok, got everything but rx pin/ wires, and a machine running Linux ...I guess this will take longer than I thought, last time I tried Linux I failed badly, but 10 have passed maybe I can, if I have too just hope there is a ( yes I'm lazy) way.
I also have coming a eff.net light weight body that looked like it would have lots of places to put arduino and rx and USB link and wire to AR flight board
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Old May 12, 2011, 10:16 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead916 View Post
Modifications to this program are not for the faint of heart. You need a
toolchain for the ARM processor that can generate programs for Linux on the
drone. At this point I use:
arm-2010.09-50-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.tar
on a Linux box.

miru. eNd qUOTe

Ok, got everything but rx pin/ wires, and a machine running Linux ...I guess this will take longer than I thought, last time I tried Linux I failed badly, but 10 have passed maybe I can, if I have too just hope there is a ( yes I'm lazy) way.
I also have coming a eff.net light weight body that looked like it would have lots of places to put arduino and rx and USB link and wire to AR flight board
You only need Linux and the ARM toolchain if you want to change the program that runs on the drone. Nobody needed to do that so far...
Old May 13, 2011, 08:35 PM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
More mods

miru

I have a new AR Drone coming and I plan to use your mod. Would it be fairly simple to use the joysticks to set different parameters before take off. Parameters, like with or with out camera hold or how aggressive the controls are going to be. Do you know how some quadcopter do it like the MK or UAVX?
Have you considered selling a kit so people could fly the AR Drone in places where iPhones just don't make senses because of bad cell service or too much wifi interference. With low cost Tx/Rx the kit could be less than an idevice.

Larry
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead