HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Hey Miru

I'm in the process of hooking up a GPS (SiRFStar C3-370C) receiver to get the coordinates sent back in the navdata stream. Do you think this GPS will be OK for your mod? Before I release the AR.MiruFlight iOS app I'm going to try to get the GPS data integrated (needed for lat/lon and home direction / distance indicator). Most of the other readings on the app are now functional.

C3-370C Mini GPS module (Built-in Antenna)
http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.p...roducts_id=282

Also, I was digging thru a few things looking for the GPS and came across a Magnetometer that I ordered a few months back. I remember reading about autonomous flight on some site and it mentioned this component so I went ahead and ordered it hoping that I would get back to it one day. This one was mentioned on a few other autonomous flight sites.

Triple Axis Magnetometer Breakout - HMC5883L
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10530
kgeange is offline Find More Posts by kgeange
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 04:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeange View Post
Didn't need to change either motor. Yesterday morning, the first two attempts to takeoff resulted in pretty aggressive flips and on the third attempt the drone hovered fine when I pressed the take off button!!! Not sure if I dislodged some debris in one of flips, if I cleared some moisture or if a component was seated better. However I'm relieved.

Was out flying yesterday afternoon for 15-20 minutes and during one flight I did notice that near the end of the flight the drone flipped (clockwise roll) 360 degrees and luckily since I was only .5 meters off the ground it landed in the grass right side up. Not sure if this was caused by a motor cutoff.

Naked GoPro is 96g
2250mAh battery (got it on eBay) is substantially heavier than stock battery (can't find exact specs but similar batteries are 140g)

My plan is to not use the GoPro for FPV but a small CCD Sony camera. The drone was really struggling to get off the ground with the GoPro and larger battery.

Ken
20 minutes of flight is with or without GoPro ?

Have seen reports here of flipping over when battery is low.
Seems to be a 1.10.10 problem.

Thanks for the photo.
ccme is offline Find More Posts by ccme
Old May 10, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Not 20 minutes of flying at once. That was with a battery change. Without the GoPro. Just wanted to note that it flew fine for the first 20 minutes and then all of a sudden a flip. It flew fine afterward as well. Yes, I agree, there must be an issue in 1.10.10.

Ken
Old May 10, 2012, 09:16 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeange View Post
Not 20 minutes of flying at once. That was with a battery change. Without the GoPro. Just wanted to note that it flew fine for the first 20 minutes and then all of a sudden a flip. It flew fine afterward as well. Yes, I agree, there must be an issue in 1.10.10.

Ken
Flip issue is definitely not specific to 1.10.nn, I've stuck to 1.7.11 after reading all the posts on reduced flying power with 1.10.nn and get flips all the time without touching the controls and flying inside (so no wind). It most certainly gets worse when the battery gets low and it seems as if there's a major instability somewhere which the drone can compensate for easily on a full battery but has horrible issues with when power gets low.
I recently modded a hull to incorporate the GoPro into the body just in front of the mobo.

Not only can the drone hardly generate enough lift to get more than a foot off the ground, but handling is extremely unstable and flipping most certainly occurs earlier as not only does the battery go faster but the added weight just off CG magnifies whatever the causal issue is.

I don't have an RC at the moment as mine got lost in the post on the way to MacG for updating (but which Mac is replacing completely free of cost, god bless him) and my soldering skills are apparently too poor to build my own (major hassle trying to get the wires on that tiny plug). But flying a GoPro using wifi is an absolute no-go until I find what's behind the instability which ends in a flip. Am trying to make time to swap the motors & cogs & props & shafts & bearings & cross out one by one, but it's slooow going.

Anyway, my point was it's not so much to do with the firmware as it is to an integral instability which the newer firmware might be less capable in controlling than previous versions. Would be nice if the mod could do something about that?
RHTizzy is online now Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Old May 10, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Thanks for the info. I assume your drone would be front heavy after this mod. Perhaps that is partially contributing to your instability, unless you added a counter weight.

This post talks about a similar mod and the need to a counterweight...
http://dronescapes.com/dropage31.html

For clarification, I've experienced two type of flips.
The 1st type: In past firmware releases (as well as 1.10.10) the drone looses control and rolls over sometimes still in flight, sometimes when it hits the ground.
The 2nd type: Most recently (I've only experienced it in 1.10.10, mirumod v17) the drone seems to be hovering in the air pretty stable and all of a sudden it just flips over like one or more motors were cut off - like what you see in the videos from AR.Drone 2.0 when they perform the flip manoeuvre.

I believe these have separate causes. In the post above (#2208) I was referencing the later.
Last edited by kgeange; May 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:48 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
Anyway, my point was it's not so much to do with the firmware as it is to an integral instability which the newer firmware might be less capable in controlling than previous versions. Would be nice if the mod could do something about that?
Unfortunately the answer to most stability problems is 'more power' and that is what's missing towards the end of a flight. You might want to check your central cross by putting the drone on a flat surface and making sure ALL the motors are straight up. Both of my drones had an issue with this which resulted in motor 2 and 4 spinning much faster than 1 and 3 to keep it straight. There was almost no power left to do any maneuvers that involved spinning 2 and 4 faster, which became worse during the end of flight. A good indicator of this problem is if you find out it likes to yaw in one direction but not in the other. When I replaced the central crosses and made sure the motors were pointing straight up all those problems disappeared.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; May 10, 2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 10, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Unfortunately the answer to most stability problems is 'more power' and that is what's missing towards the end of a flight. You might want to check your central cross by putting the drone on a flat surface and making sure ALL the motors are staight up. Both of my drones had an issue with this which resulted in motor 2 and 4 spinning much faster than 1 and 3 to keep it straight. There was almost no power left to do any maneuvers that involved spinning 2 and 4 faster, which became worse during the end of flight. A good indicator of this problem is if you find out it likes to yaw in one direction but not in the other. When I replaced the central crosses and made sure the motors were pointing straight up all those problems disappeared.
Recognized the yaw tendency so focussed on the engines and while rotating trying to determine 'verticularity', one of them stuck... it appears sand is not the best lubricant in the world. Did some big bad wolf action and seemed to clear but swapped it out anyway. Going through the rest, another gave almost no resistance so swapped it out too. Will post back on the flipping thing.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Ar Drone v1.0 and revisions #16 & #17

Hi,
I have experienced similar problem than several people that reported that their Arduino Led gets solid green (versions #16 & #17) when it is supposed to be quickly blinking (boot up sequence), I followed Miru recommendation when I upgraded from revision #12 (Always OK) to rev #16 to increase NS_BOOT to 21 (same value as rev #17), sadly for me it did not work, playing with it I had to go up to 30 to make it work, for some reason my Drone is taking too much time to finish boot sequence (I am using firmware 1.7.11).

Wanted to share if it can help anybody else experimenting same thing as I had.

Thanks
HandyPick is offline Find More Posts by HandyPick
Old May 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Sorry forgot to add to my previous post, that I also did try with rev #15 when I was not able to get rev#16 to work, and it shown no problems, no need to modify anything.
Last edited by HandyPick; May 11, 2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Mistakes done when writing and it was same as previous post
Old May 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyPick View Post
I had same problem, I had to increase NS_BOOT to 30 to make it work, no problems wahtsoever when I used rev #12 and when I tried version #15 before rev #16
This means your drone has not started the shell on the serial port after the 21 seconds. You might want to connect a terminal and find out what it is complaining about. Before rev 0.16 the mod was waiting for a 5 second 'quiet' time on that port before it went in to do it's thing. Maybe I have to put this back in for drones that are talking too much...
What happens if you put it on a different surface when you boot? There have been issues with the bottom camera routines getting very busy...
Old May 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
This means your drone has not started the shell on the serial port after the 21 seconds. You might want to connect a terminal and find out what it is complaining about. Before rev 0.16 the mod was waiting for a 5 second 'quiet' time on that port before it went in to do it's thing. Maybe I have to put this back in for drones that are talking too much...
What happens if you put it on a different surface when you boot? There have been issues with the bottom camera routines getting very busy...
Thank you very much Miru for taking the time to answer my post (besides providing us with the mod of course), I will try connecting the terminal as you suggested. I did try with several surfaces when I was not able to make it work with rev #16 (even the original box), same result. What I can tell you is that from the moment I plug in the battery until I see the motors led flash to green it was 20 seconds, but for some unknown reasons only if I used NS_BOOT 30 or more it will work. Thanks a lot - Muchas Gracias in name of all users of your mod in Mexico.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Changed the code in rev #16 from:
#define NS_BOOT 30
for (j = k = 0; 1; ) {
if ((rx_read() & S_SIG) || gl.rxs.erx) k = 0;
else if (gl.rxs.fms != FMS_LAND) k = 1;
else if (j < NS_BOOT) k = 2;
else break; /* all conditions met, go on */

switch (k) {
case 0: blip(1); ms_dly(800); break; /* radio not ready */
case 1: blip(2); ms_dly(600); break; /* flight mode not LAND */
case 2: blip(3); ms_dly(400); break; /* drone booting */
}

adding NS_QUIET as in rev #15

#define NS_BOOT 16
#define NSQUIET 5
for (i = j = k = 0; 1; ) {
if (sio_rf() || j < NS_BOOT) i = 0;
else if (i < NSQUIET) i++;
else if (i < NSQUIET) k = 3;
switch (k) {
case 3: blip(4); ms_dly(200); break; /* drone still talking */
}

And it worked, thanks again
Old May 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyPick View Post
Changed the code in rev #16 from:
#define NS_BOOT 30
for (j = k = 0; 1; ) {

switch (k) {
}

adding NS_QUIET as in rev #15

#define NS_BOOT 16
#define NSQUIET 5
for (i = j = k = 0; 1; ) {
if (sio_rf() || j < NS_BOOT) i = 0;
else if (i < NSQUIET) i++;
else if (i < NSQUIET) k = 3;
switch (k) {
case 3: blip(4); ms_dly(200); break; /* drone still talking */
}

And it worked, thanks again
I will put that into rev 0.18.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
C3-370C GPS Module

I'd like to advise that the C3-370C GPS module runs fine out of the box with mirumod v17. Only change was the baudrate to 9600 in the sketch.

rx2at 0.17 20120428, at2so attached
loop 33.3 ms, gps 9600 bps
stick +-800 points, dcnt=2663
cpusg 1E950F fuses DA-FF-FD-CF
4 RX error
-RX- f[ms] p[us] value
AILE 52.5 1528 0
ELEV 52.5 1517 0
THRO 0.0 0 0 CFG4
RUDD 52.5 1548 0
AUX1 52.5 1524 0
GEAR 52.5 1101 0 LAND

GL=1,08,025354.000,47.6051500,-052.7420966,1.4,163.2
Old May 12, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
Recognized the yaw tendency so focussed on the engines and while rotating trying to determine 'verticularity', one of them stuck... it appears sand is not the best lubricant in the world. Did some big bad wolf action and seemed to clear but swapped it out anyway. Going through the rest, another gave almost no resistance so swapped it out too. Will post back on the flipping thing.
As promised for those interested, it turned out the props (parrot manufactured) were lower quality than my originals and were bent. Reverting back to my originals returned a stable drone which now launches vertically instead of at an angle as before and flipping is no more.