HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:35 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
What I mean is that it is easier to stick in some wires into the holes, than making a female plug.
I agree, making the molex connectors to go into the AR Drone serial port was a pain. I must have ruined a few before I had one good connector that I could use without failing.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Where is the paypal for Miru?
I do not know how many beer stands in Canada, but I would like to send something a little bit.
RogerCZ is offline Find More Posts by RogerCZ
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Barry
Joined Mar 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCZ View Post
Where is the paypal for Miru?
I do not know how many beer stands in Canada, but I would like to send something a little bit.
http://mirumod.hopto.org/intro.php

tonyh0905 is offline Find More Posts by tonyh0905
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:07 PM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Miru, thank you for your comments, I'll experiment as you suggested. I'd prefer to have servos and camera fed from different power source than Arduino and RX as this would allow me to easily disconnect all the FPV part, by just removing the battery, and fly with Arduino only.
After doing some experiments I've put that all together. You can connect camera pan/tilt servos + external power (in my case it comes from the camera TX) to the pins visible on the picture and have an FPV setup or use just the RC mod (RX is powered from Arduino). Everything weights just 10g.

The FPV set (cam, TX, pan/tilt mechanism) is 71g without the battery, so hopefuly the drone will cope.

Haven't done tests in the air yet, but on the ground everything seems to work fine.
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:57 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
After doing some experiments I've put that all together. You can connect camera pan/tilt servos + external power (in my case it comes from the camera TX) to the pins visible on the picture and have an FPV setup or use just the RC mod (RX is powered from Arduino). Everything weights just 10g.

The FPV set (cam, TX, pan/tilt mechanism) is 71g without the battery, so hopefuly the drone will cope.

Haven't done tests in the air yet, but on the ground everything seems to work fine.
That's great!

My FPV setup (camera, transmitter, & 3s 450mah lipo) weighs 112g. The metal casing of my camera is hefty. The camera alone weighs 32g, most of the weight is from the metal casing. I attempted to remove the metal casing, but it exposed the internal delicate guts of the camera, i.e. lens. This frightened me for fear that I might damage the camera, so I decided to keep it the way it is.

I've flown the AR Drone with this FPV setup and it does not affect its flight performance and flight time.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
281 Posts
Quote:

A very neat professionally done job, especially with the cable dressing. Are you planning to use head detection sensors to control the camera's pan tilt movement or manually using the pot on your tx. Would be interested in learning how your ardrone performs with your FPV hardware setup.

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the latest on everything - mirumod 016 and ardrone fw 1.10.10. Did some more test flights and I still can induce flips (crash) the ardrone when the battery level is low, using mirumod 015 and 016, and ardrone fw 1.7.11 and 1.10.10. All flips happened with the indoor hull. So I have to be very careful in not making aggressive controls after the VLBA is activated.

Here's a short video clip showing an attempt at a low altitude, low speed FVP using video from Freeflight running on my iTouch strapped to my arm and RC control using mirumod v016. The iTouch lost connection with the ardrone a couple of times. The ardrone also flipped at the end of the video while trying to maintain position hold in the wind. If you turn up the audio you can hear the VLBA has activated (I had the VLBA connected to external white LEDs and a buzzer).

AR Drone with mirumod - test FPV with Freeflight video - flip in wind (1 min 53 sec)
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:01 PM
Makers gonna make...
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
My FPV setup (camera, transmitter, & 3s 450mah lipo) weighs 112g.
With battery (39g according to the spec, but still waiting for it to arrive) mine will be about the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
Are you planning to use head detection sensors
Yes
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, MI, Bridgeport Charter Township
Joined Feb 2006
30 Posts
I uploaded DSRO15 last night from DSRO14 and this morning, for the first time I was able to connect my android to my ardrone with mirumod running. I'm using the CT6B tx and rx, FW 1.7.11. I've only flown it inside, so far, wind is a little too gusty to take it out. I flew it in FMOD1 and 2 with config. set at 2-4, arDrone flew great. It had a little left yawing at the end of the flight, by the way, I'm using ardrone freeflight on my android.
Maxout is offline Find More Posts by Maxout
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
I'm near Miru and have an AR Drone 2.0 for us to play with. I'm getting married May 6 so after that will begin working on it with him in earnest.
heli0trope is offline Find More Posts by heli0trope
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli0trope View Post
I'm near Miru and have an AR Drone 2.0 for us to play with. I'm getting married May 6 so after that will begin working on it with him in earnest.
Oh, for a minute I thought you were going to say that after May 6 you will have no time for toys like ardrones any more.

Congratulations! I'm sure miru will provide you with a cold beer for that.
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Hello. Great job thank you very much.
I have a little problem with this mode. Sometimes drone doesn't launch, as i think because arduino is overheated, I'm using arduino mini pro and the battery 1300mAh. Battery output voltage is 13.0V. Is it ok?
yessenzhar is offline Find More Posts by yessenzhar
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
I was flying FPV for over 7 minutes before I recorded the video below. I wish someone was with me to film the AR Drone in action. Since I was by myself, I was only able to film this video of the AR Drone hovering.

Simply Awesome! The AR Drone totes the whole FPV setup with no problems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnzFM8VsgzQ
Good for you.
I wish I could film for you, since I am also a lone flyer in my area.
Sometime I film by DIY head mount camera.
If you get a video recorder linked to the receiver you can share the video with us.
ccme is offline Find More Posts by ccme
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:40 AM
Germering, S-Germany
Joined Nov 2010
21 Posts
Need help

my conditions:
AR-Drone FW1.7.11, Miromod DRS016, DX7/6200. Flashing the pro mini is ok.

My problem
Connecting to the setup gui is ok but when switching TX to on all indications change to green and the p indication shows correct data but the values stay at zero.
Also in line 5 indication of "15 RX down" doesnt change.

AR_Drone flies perfect with the iPOD.

Can anybody help?
mfg Olaf
vistauser is offline Find More Posts by vistauser
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistauser View Post
my conditions:
AR-Drone FW1.7.11, Miromod DRS016, DX7/6200. Flashing the pro mini is ok.

My problem
Connecting to the setup gui is ok but when switching TX to on all indications change to green and the p indication shows correct data but the values stay at zero.
Also in line 5 indication of "15 RX down" doesnt change.

AR_Drone flies perfect with the iPOD.

Can anybody help?
mfg Olaf
Olaf, when you see 15 RX down, that means there have not been any good signals from the RX for 15 loop cycles (0.5 seconds). The good values you see on the scrren, are the last good ones received before the problem started.
Check you connections to the RX and make sure the LED in the RX goes on when you turn on your TX.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,326 Posts
Big flying beer donation

Thank you all for your donations to my beer fund!
Ssgtmacgyver sent me a big flying beer donation in the mail! Yes, I do have a drone 2.0 now and started to work on it!
Initial findings are:
  • It does have a serial port '/dev/ttyO3', which is used like '/dev/ttyPA0' on drone 1.
  • The 8 pin connector on drone 1 changed gender and grew to a 10 pin connector on drone 2. The pin assignements of the first 8 pins, as far as the serial interface goes, are the same. Pin 8 is still the key position.
  • And here are some bad news... I/O on drone 2 is 1.8V, which means one will have to use a level shifter to talk to it with the 5V Arduino. The resistor solution for drone 1 (3.3V) will not work here.
  • There is a new command for steering which has two more arguments I'll have to figure out.
  • The USB dongle attached to the battery connector is a host port. They got 'udev' working on it, it will 'automount' a USB stick when you plug it in. So far I have not found if they support serial adapters, this would be another way to run the mod. However, unless Parrot does it right, would require some software surgery on the drone, which is not in the spirit of the mod.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru