HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Make sure you disconnect everything. When you plug the USB into the PC, what happens? Does Windows indicate you plugged something in?
I know exactly what you mean. Whenever you plug a peripheral device to the computer, Windows dislays a message indicating that a device has been detected; however, when I plug the Arduino board via USB cable, the message that would normally appear does not show up. Windows does not indicate anything about a device being plugged in.
LittleG is online now Find More Posts by LittleG
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Whenever you plug a peripheral device to the computer, Windows dislays a message indicating that a device has been detected; however, when I plug the Arduino board via USB cable, the message that would normally appear does not show up. Windows does not indicate anything about a device being plugged in.
If your USB port works (try a device you know is working) then your Nano has a problem, otherwise you might have fried the USB port.
miru is online now Find More Posts by miru
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:49 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
If your USB port works (try a device you know is working) then your Nano has a problem, otherwise you might have fried the USB port.
I actually tried plugging the USB cable and the Arduino to all USB ports of the laptop and the Arduino did not respond or activate to any one of them. As suggested, I tested all USB ports with a mouse to determine whether there is a fried USB port, but the mouse activated when I plugged it to each USB port; so, we can rule out the USB ports being bad. It must be a bad board then.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:57 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
I actually tried plugging the USB cable and the Arduino to all USB ports of the laptop and the Arduino did not respond or activate to any one of them. As suggested, I tested all USB ports with a mouse to determine whether there is a fried USB port, but the mouse activated when I plugged it to each USB port; so, we can rule out the USB ports being bad. It must be a bad board then.
Well, unless you can find anything obvious on the board, you'll have to get another Nano. This time get one without the pins, they are dead weight for your drone.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:57 PM
WING-WING situation
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
1) First off, thank you so much for the super fast reply, Miru.

2) It seems I've been using a different version. Attached is a snapshot of hyperterminal before I reflashed the Arduino and everything worked perfectly (see attachment). At that time, LAND/TAKE OFF was in the GEAR switch. Version 0.13

I am not sure what do you mean with :
Quote:
In rev 0.13 the GEAR channel will not show up if you don't use it. Your sketch is setup for the DX7 and usage of the 3 position switch, therefore the GEAR channel is not used.
Honestly, I like the LAND/TAKE OFF in that GEAR switch. Right now, this function is in the AUX1 switch (3 positions)
0: FM_1
1: LAND
2: FM_2

I can definitely adjust to this layout; it's just I like the previous one better.

3) I started experimenting and couldn't get the video in the iDevice (iPad) to work simultaneously with the mod in control of the Drone. Control via iPad only or mod only work as expected.

4) Once again, great job, Miru!
gustyk is offline Find More Posts by gustyk
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:35 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Miru, I would also like to thank you for your prompt responses. You're a true gentleman and a scholar.

I'm not even going to attempt to evaluate the board because I wouldn't even know what to look for. By just looking at it, I can't tell if it has been fried or if it has a broken circuit.

In terms of getting another board without the pins,it's too late. I have a board of the same kind on its way, hoping it will not be a defective one. If it is, I'll definitely get the pin-less board on the third one, which I hope it's not the case.

Quote:
Well, unless you can find anything obvious on the board, you'll have to get another Nano. This time get one without the pins, they are dead weight for your drone.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustyk View Post
1) First off, thank you so much for the super fast reply, Miru.

2) It seems I've been using a different version. Attached is a snapshot of hyperterminal before I reflashed the Arduino and everything worked perfectly (see attachment). At that time, LAND/TAKE OFF was in the GEAR switch. Version 0.13

I am not sure what do you mean with :

Honestly, I like the LAND/TAKE OFF in that GEAR switch. Right now, this function is in the AUX1 switch (3 positions)
0: FM_1
1: LAND
2: FM_2

I can definitely adjust to this layout; it's just I like the previous one better.

3) I started experimenting and couldn't get the video in the iDevice (iPad) to work simultaneously with the mod in control of the Drone. Control via iPad only or mod only work as expected.

4) Once again, great job, Miru!
The intention with the 3 position switch is:
DOWN -> LAND
MIDDLE -> FM_1
UP -> FM_2
you might have the polarity in the TX set wrong?
If you want a 2 switch option with the DX7, read the comments in the 'sketch' and adjust the two macros S_LAND and S_FMOD. When you set S_LAND to S_GEAR and S_FMOD to S_AUX1 you should get what you are used to.
About the video... what version of the drone Software and what version of FreeFlight are you using?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Miru: have any ideas what might have corrupted the board, making it stop working all of a sudden?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:50 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Miru: have any ideas what might have corrupted the board, making it stop working all of a sudden?
Sorry, never had one die on me, so far I have 5 in service in various projects (1 in a drone) and never had any problems with them.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:18 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Barry
Joined Mar 2012
303 Posts
'Auto' land problem

Quote:
Tony, I have tried to reproduce this problem without success, no matter how high or how far out I am, I am not experiencing the 'auto' land phenomenon. I think we need to find out from all people who have experienced it, what the common denominator is. To start this, please everybody who has this problem list your revision of the mod, the Arduino you are using (Nano/Pro) and RX/TX combo (AR6000/DX7, ORANGERX/..).
Guys,

Is there a way to read the current sketch that is loaded on the Arduino, or will I just have to upload a new copy of the sketch so I know exactly whats on the board?
tonyh0905 is offline Find More Posts by tonyh0905
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:57 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh0905 View Post
Guys,

Is there a way to read the current sketch that is loaded on the Arduino, or will I just have to upload a new copy of the sketch so I know exactly whats on the board?
Upload a new copy, I think one can retrieve it from the board, however it's just a hex file that will not tell you a whole lot...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Miru, thank you so much for the detailed instructions... I followed your instructions to the "T" and it seems the board is still not responding or not powering up.

I completely turned the computer off and disconnected the USB cable/Arduino board. I turned the computer back on in hopes that the reboot process had reset everything then I reconnected the Arduino board to the computer with the USB cable; but, the LED lights still did not come on like they did when I initially connected the Arduino board to upload the sketch a few days ago.

A few days ago when I connected the Arduino to the computer for the first time, the board performed exactly as described in the instructions that ufo-doctor had written in the MiruMod Documentation. The LED lights blinking and such.

Do you think the board might have gone bad and if it is, what could have caused it, static electricity perhaps? How do you tell if the board is bad?

Thanks again!
Hi,
LittleG.. I had a board that fried when i for got to remove the wire from pin# 10 to ground for hyperterminal testing and i pluged into the drone.. so you probley smoked the board...
ryderbear is offline Find More Posts by ryderbear
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryderbear View Post
Hi,
LittleG.. I had a board that fried when i for got to remove the wire from pin# 10 to ground for hyperterminal testing and i pluged into the drone.. so you probley smoked the board...
Pin #10 is not connected to the drone, it is just read on boot to find out which mode to go to. The only conflict, if you don't have a resistor in the TX line from the drone is that the drone will pull that line low, powered or not, and that causes the FTDI portion of the Nano not to work, but I have never seen it fry anything. However if accidentaly the battery line from the drone gets connected to the RX or TX line of the Arduino, it will fry it...
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:06 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Barry
Joined Mar 2012
303 Posts
'Auto' land

Quote:
Originally Posted by afinegan View Post
Everytime I fly I get the behavior at least once per battery, its not all the time.

Dx6i
Arduino Nano + Pro (same behavior on both, I have both)
Ar6210 reciever
0.13 mod
newest firmware on quad.
Hi afinegan

It looks as though a weak TX signal or momentary signal blackouts may be causing the mod to trip into "fail safe".
When you range check you AR6210 are you still in full control at 90ft, as the Dx6i manual suggests?
I think my AR6115 is slightly deaf, when I range check I lose control at around 40ft.

miru

What effect would a dropped pulse or two have on a pre "fail safe" rev of the mod?
If it's nothing drastic I might be better off trying one of these. Which would you recommend?
tonyh0905 is offline Find More Posts by tonyh0905
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:16 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh0905 View Post
Hi afinegan

It looks as though a weak TX signal or momentary signal blackouts may be causing the mod to trip into "fail safe".
When you range check you AR6210 are you still in full control at 90ft, as the Dx6i manual suggests?
I think my AR6115 is slightly deaf, when I range check I lose control at around 40ft.

miru

What effect would a dropped pulse or two have on a pre "fail safe" rev of the mod?
If it's nothing drastic I might be better off trying one of these. Which would you recommend?
I have only heard from 3 people who shared their equipment setup on the unsollicited 'auto' land issue. So far the difference to my setup is the use of the newer small Spektrum receivers and one uses the Optima 6 Lite, another small one... So far nobody with an ORANGERX or AR6100 sent anything...