SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:03 PM
WING-WING situation
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Before I fry the Arduino.....

Hi all,

I just received the parts for the mod and I found the following (please, see the pictures)
I've seen pictures where the Breakout (6 pins) connects straight forward with the Arduino board (5 pins) (all components facing up) but if you see the pinout of each, I can't find a logic match.

1) With both boards facing components down (this one doesn't make sense for me)

ARDUINO BREAKOUT (FTDI)

---- ----------> DTR
GND ---------> RXD
VBUS ---------> TXD
RX ---------> VCC
TX ---------> CTS
DTR ---------> GND

2) With one board facing up and the other facing down.

ARDUINO BREAKOUT (FTDI)
(face down) (face up)

--- ---------> GND
GND ---------> CTS
VBUS ---------> VCC
RX ---------> TXD
TX ---------> RXD
DTR ---------> DTR

There is something wrong here... Did I buy the wrong breakout FTDI board or am I missing something?

(My apologies if this topic has been covered already.)

Thank you in advance for the assistance.
gustyk is offline Find More Posts by gustyk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:30 PM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustyk View Post
Did I buy the wrong breakout FTDI board or am I missing something?
The option 2) is correct but you need to add a 6th goldpin on your Arduino for the missing GND connection.

P.S. Make sure to select the right voltage with the 5v/3.3v switch on the FTDI (should match your Arduino voltage)
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Last edited by pawelsky; Feb 22, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Jul 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

I just received the parts for the mod and I found the following (please, see the pictures)
I've seen pictures where the Breakout (6 pins) connects straight forward with the Arduino board (5 pins) (all components facing up) but if you see the pinout of each, I can't find a logic match.

1) With both boards facing components down (this one doesn't make sense for me)

ARDUINO BREAKOUT (FTDI)

---- ----------> DTR
GND ---------> RXD
VBUS ---------> TXD
RX ---------> VCC
TX ---------> CTS
DTR ---------> GND

2) With one board facing up and the other facing down.

ARDUINO BREAKOUT (FTDI)
(face down) (face up)

--- ---------> GND
GND ---------> CTS
VBUS ---------> VCC
RX ---------> TXD
TX ---------> RXD
DTR ---------> DTR

There is something wrong here... Did I buy the wrong breakout FTDI board or am I missing something?

(My apologies if this topic has been covered already.)

Thank you in advance for the assistance.
Here's a photo of mine FTDI. Pin looks the same. I just line up TX-->RX and Rx-->Tx, and the rest falls in line...
Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts
Hi all,
I'm facing this problem, The mod was working fine. v12 , Turnigy 9ch
Then two days ago it started to go solid green -not blinking- after the whole mod is loaded to the Ardrone.
Going to the setup mode all channels are fine , but there was something weired there was a line of random chars two lines down from the AUX channel display!!
I checked my wiring but they seems to be in place.

Any body can help?

I think I found it, it seems to be a soldering problem, one header is loose.
elmohtarm is offline Find More Posts by elmohtarm
Last edited by elmohtarm; Feb 23, 2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Problem solved
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:27 AM
WING-WING situation
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
The option 2) is correct but you need to add a 6th goldpin on your Arduino for the missing GND connection.

P.S. Make sure to select the right voltage with the 5v/3.3v switch on the FTDI (should match your Arduino voltage)
Thank you for your quick response. I thought about that but in that case CTS on the FTDI board will be connected to GND on the Arduino. Is that correct?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:09 AM
Polska
Joined Jan 2012
1,670 Posts
Quote:
CTS on the FTDI board will be connected to GND on the Arduino. Is that correct?
Yes
pawelsky is online now Find More Posts by pawelsky
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:39 PM
WING-WING situation
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky View Post
Yes
I'll test it out and let you know. Thanks, once again.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:43 PM
WING-WING situation
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candu1 View Post
Here's a photo of mine FTDI. Pin looks the same. I just line up TX-->RX and Rx-->Tx, and the rest falls in line...
Thank you for your contribution. We have different versions of the FTDI board although I assume all of them follow the same pinout.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:58 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
I received the McGyver RC Kit yesterday but haven't been able to get it working properly yet. The AR drone lifts off and then lands again within seconds. All lights stay green but it then no longer responds to the transmitter. Once the receiver has been disconnected, using my phone to control the drone again works fine.

Once the drone lands I can switch the transmitter off and on again and toggling the launch switch will launch the drone. But it then just lands again.

I've updated the firmware from 1.7.6 to 1.7.11. I've checked and changed the batteries in the transmitter. I've used 4 different fully charged batteries in the drone. Nothing changed, it just keeps landing immediately after takeoff.

I've checked the connections on the usb plug but it all looks solid.

I've emailed Mike but haven't heard anything yet and perhaps it's something I can fix myself so seeing as there are plenty of smart idea's floating around here, perhaps someone has some advice?
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
Spain, GA, Corunna
Joined Jan 2011
350 Posts
hi again miru, i tried with another arduino nano, but i canīt make it work again. i get arduino led solid after some seconds. ihad th dx7, and was using stock 0.13 version of your mod.

I get this from SETUP mode o ZTERM for mac (like Hyperterminal).
The numbers of p[us] and value are changing all the time around 2 over and 2 above from this i got.

Did you see something extrange??

"
rx2at 0.13 20120117, at2so attached
loop 33.3 ms, sio 115200 bps, gps 57600 bps
stick +-800 points, dcnt=2663
cpusg 1E950F fuses DA-FF-FD-C

position 0

-RX- f[ms] p[us] value
AILE 21.9 1514 0
ELEV 21.9 1510 0
THRO 21.9 1112 -964 CFG1
RUDD 21.9 1511 0
AUX1 21.9 1914 -1070 LAND

position 1

-RX- f[ms] p[us] value
AILE 21.9 1513 0
ELEV 21.9 1511 0
THRO 21.9 1111 -966
RUDD 21.9 1511 0
AUX1 21.9 1513 0 FM_1

postion 2

-RX- f[ms] p[us] value
AILE 21.9 1514 0
ELEV 21.9 1512 0
THRO 21.9 1111 -966
RUDD 21.9 1510 0
AUX1 21.9 1112 940 FM_2

"
lougedo is offline Find More Posts by lougedo
Last edited by lougedo; Feb 24, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:31 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,305 Posts
lougedo, the numbers in SETUP look good, provided your throttle stick is all the way down.
There must be something wrong with the cable going to the drone...
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:48 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
I received the McGyver RC Kit yesterday but haven't been able to get it working properly yet. The AR drone lifts off and then lands again within seconds. All lights stay green but it then no longer responds to the transmitter. Once the receiver has been disconnected, using my phone to control the drone again works fine.

Once the drone lands I can switch the transmitter off and on again and toggling the launch switch will launch the drone. But it then just lands again.

I've updated the firmware from 1.7.6 to 1.7.11. I've checked and changed the batteries in the transmitter. I've used 4 different fully charged batteries in the drone. Nothing changed, it just keeps landing immediately after takeoff.

I've checked the connections on the usb plug but it all looks solid.

I've emailed Mike but haven't heard anything yet and perhaps it's something I can fix myself so seeing as there are plenty of smart idea's floating around here, perhaps someone has some advice?
Didn't want to leave anyone hanging so just in case I thought I'd post an update:
it turns out the phone just mustn't be anywhere up against the transmitter if wifi is on. A real pity as I'd hooked up a carkit holder to the transmitter (using tie-wraps so nothing irreversible) and was basically salivating at the prospect of having my hands free to control the drone while still being able to watch it's video.

But even tho a bit of a disappointment, not something insurmountable and even tho there are a few niggles to the kit (like resetting after a crash, nigh impossible just using the controlstick and have had to disconnect the battery every time), it's definitely a keeper.

Thanks to all involved for making the world a more fun place
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:45 PM
Spain, GA, Corunna
Joined Jan 2011
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
lougedo, the numbers in SETUP look good, provided your throttle stick is all the way down.
There must be something wrong with the cable going to the drone...
Ok Miru, thank you, i will re check that cables again.

The asduino led blinks 3 times per second, the next step was 4 blink per second that means booting the drone or something like that, isnīt it?

L
lougedo is offline Find More Posts by lougedo
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Jun 2008
98 Posts
If you are running 0.13 sketch then Left stick to the left does a reset, left stick to the right does flat trim when the drone is in the land position, also right stick to the right toggles camera view in the land position.
yellowboy63 is offline Find More Posts by yellowboy63
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:37 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboy63 View Post
If you are running 0.13 sketch then Left stick to the left does a reset, left stick to the right does flat trim when the drone is in the land position, also right stick to the right toggles camera view in the land position.
On a mode 2 TX, left stick left is flat trimm, left stick right is reset.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru