Old Apr 08, 2011, 05:39 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Discussion
HP6DSM trainer cable

Hi

Does anyone know how to get the E-Flite HP6DSM tx to act as a trainer, when ever I plug in the cable I have (JR) the radio turns off.. I was hoping to be able to link it to my JR 9XII so I can assist my son directly. Does anyone know how to get this radio to work as either a slave or master?

Thanks

Stephen
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I have success using my x9503 (master) with x9303 (slave). I've not try the x9503 with other txs such as DX6i, DX7, etc.

1. Connect the Trainer cord between the Master and Slave transmitters. Turn the power on to the Master transmitter. The Slave transmitter remains powered off and can even have the module removed.
2. Make sure the Slave transmitter is in the PPM/FM modulation mode. If the slave system is a X9503 2.4 or any other Spread Spectrum system, such as other JR 2.4GHz or Spektrum systems, this does not apply.
3. Highlight and select Trainer in the FUNCTION LIST to obtain the Trainer Display.
If using the X9503 2.4 as the Master transmitter, select the channel(s) the Slave transmitter will operate when in trainer mode.

When all channel selectors are in the MAST position, NORMAL appears on the display and all 4 channels are transferred to the student when the trainer switch is depressed.
When all channel selectors are in the MAST position, the slave system must be programmed for the model, meaning all programming necessary for the model must be programmed in both the master and the slave systems. Also when all the channel selectors are in the MAST position, the slave system should be left in normal default MASTER mode. To transfer only certain channels to the student, highlight and select the channels that you will transfer, moving the indicator for these channels to the SLAV position for these channels. When less than all channels are selected as SLAV, PROGRAM T appears on the display indicating that the Trainer System has been programmed to transfer only selected channels. When the channel selectors are in the SLAV position, all programming of the master system will be used, and only the stick movements of the 4 primary channels are used from the slave system when control is given to the slave transmitter. In this case, the slave system does not need to be programmed for the model. Also the slave system should be set to Slave mode in its trainer system. The X9503 2.4 is now ready to be the Master or instructor transmitter. Depress the trainer switch to transfer control to the student. Control will remain transferred until the trainer switch is released.

See pg. H-44 of x9503 manual.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Apr 10, 2011, 04:14 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I spoke to a flying buddy who buddy boxed newbies. I will check back with him as to how he does it on his Dx7.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Apr 10, 2011, 04:50 PM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Thanks I will double check the settings tonight.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post
Hi

Does anyone know how to get the E-Flite HP6DSM tx to act as a trainer, when ever I plug in the cable I have (JR) the radio turns off.. I was hoping to be able to link it to my JR 9XII so I can assist my son directly. Does anyone know how to get this radio to work as either a slave or master?

Thanks

Stephen
I got it working by using a standard stereo audio lead with 3.5 mm plugs, the type you get with MP3 players, with it's middle connection disconnected.
Cut the lead and re-connect only the earth wire and the tip. Now when you plug it into the HP6DSM it won't power off and you can also use this lead with flight simulators and buddy boxing with the DX7. You can use the DX7 as master and the HP6DSM as slave. If you need more help I can tell you how to set it up.
Hamo
hamo is offline Find More Posts by hamo
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:48 PM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Hi Hamo
Thanks for your comment. I am using a home made 2-wire trainer cable with 3.5mm plugs on either end with the 2 wires connected to the inner and outer parts of the plug. I am reasonably sure (will check tonight) the plugs don't have 3 contact points.

Stephen
Last edited by stevebarrow; Apr 11, 2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: grammar fix
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:09 PM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
I have a standard 2 wire trainer cable and still no joy, I am now thinking I will have to mod the transmitter to be able to use it as a trainer.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:44 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,051 Posts
have you tried with the slave Tx off? It should power on when the trainer cable is plugged into both Tx's. I'm no expert on this stuff, but I'd say give it a try.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:47 PM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Hi
I have tried a few combinations and none worked - I have read a different forum post that mentioned that they only work with 2 radios of the same type and another one that mentions a mod to the trainer cable pins. Apparently there are 4 cables coming of the trainer port and if the red and black ones are removed it then acts like a normal setup, the pins should be easy to remove so I will try that later today.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:41 AM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
I have made 3 cables and all work. Make sure to use a STEREO audio cable with 3.5 mm plugs at each end, the standard type with MP3 players. Inside the cable there are 3 wires, one is usually braided and connects to the back of the plug, the other connects to the tip and the third connects to the middle. You have to find out which one is for the middle and cut it. Then switch on both transmitters even if they switch on when you plug in the lead.
Hamo
hamo is offline Find More Posts by hamo
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:09 AM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Thanks I am probably using a mono cable.
Old May 04, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post
Thanks I am probably using a mono cable.
For what it's worth, I just got the HP6DSM setup as a trainer with a Spektrum DX5e. It uses a standard two pin audio cable, you need to snip the red and black wires that connect from the motherboard to the trainer port on the HP6DSM, but where most of the problems lie with these jacks is that the DX5e unit body around the trainer port gets in the way of the cables making a proper connection. Shave off some of the rubber surrounding the cable's plug to make it narrower and it'll fit in perfectly. The two units need to be powered on. Possibly the same on your JR Transmitter. I got a great 10' cable for around 5 delivered, from a guy in California. Just needed a bit of shaving on one end. Hope that helps.
Luke
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
Old May 04, 2011, 06:22 PM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Thanks for your comments Luke I had found another thread with this mentioned regarding getting the TX to work with a flight simulator, I will give it a go the weekend. JR will power on when the plug is inserted but not transmitting unless the power is on. I will have to use the HP6DSM as the master and the JR as the student I think or just have both transmitting which shouldn't be a problem either...
Old May 14, 2011, 07:46 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4 Posts
I just created a cable after Hamos instructions.
The HP6DSM works perfectly together with a dx6i now!

Thank you very much!

Edit:
@ steve: i would try to build a conversion cable from mono (JR) to Stereo (HP6DSM) with the midle connector of the stereo part left out.
doppelmonster is offline Find More Posts by doppelmonster