HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2011, 04:39 PM
AP Wannabe
USA, RI, Providence
Joined Jan 2011
32 Posts
Question
Open Source Octo Design Available...Looking for someonw who can cut a copy for me...

Hi all,

I've put together an Octo design that I'd like to try out but I can't afford to get it cut anywhere. Is there anyone out there who can cut aluminum who would like to produce this design for me and possibly use it for themselves/distribute it?

I'll happily post what I have if people show interest.

Sean

"Pithy quote goes here"
Schatham421 is offline Find More Posts by Schatham421
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2011, 06:56 PM
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2011
188 Posts
Can you post some 3d shots of it? It would get a lot more attention that way.
SirFishaLot is offline Find More Posts by SirFishaLot
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
got ponoko?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatham421 View Post
I've put together an Octo design that I'd like to try out but I can't afford to get it cut anywhere. Is there anyone out there who can cut aluminum who would like to produce this design for me and possibly use it for themselves/distribute it?
Hi, I saw your octo design in an earlier post, and was wondering if it was all made up from flat pieces, and if so, have you checked ponoko? Lots more info needed (size, material thickness etc.) for the peanut gallery to be able to make useful manufacturing comments...
Imageer is offline Find More Posts by Imageer
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:49 AM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
709 Posts
The problem that I have come across is that most people, who might possibly have or have not, had experience with materials, say that Delrin and Acyrlic are no good for this. I have emailed Ponoko about using G-10 and apparently it cannot be cut by their current machines because the laser singes the material. They said that they might be able to cut this type of material next year sometime but no time before.

I'd like to see the weight savings in two identical objects plates, one in G10 and one in CF.
Grips is online now Find More Posts by Grips
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:50 AM
www.joescnc.com
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
722 Posts
Is the frame in your profile the frame in question?
Joecnc2006 is offline Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:05 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to see the weight savings in two identical objects plates, one in G10 and one in CF.
Typically about 30% weight savings and at least 2x stiffer for the same thickness.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:47 PM
AP Wannabe
USA, RI, Providence
Joined Jan 2011
32 Posts
Design Elements.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Here are the basic elements of the design... I made the design with 1/16 aluminum in mind but could redesign for CF or G10 but I'm not sure about the relative depth of the materials.

I also have no real concept of the comparative weights and strengths. Would a design such as this work with CF?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:08 PM
www.joescnc.com
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response.

Here are the basic elements of the design... I made the design with 1/16 aluminum in mind but could redesign for CF or G10 but I'm not sure about the relative depth of the materials.

I also have no real concept of the comparative weights and strengths. Would a design such as this work with CF?
With the top being so high I see it being a week point in the design, I think it can twist, and cause vibration in the system.
Joecnc2006 is offline Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 04:11 PM
AP Wannabe
USA, RI, Providence
Joined Jan 2011
32 Posts
Is that a center of gravity issue? I hadn't even thought that might be an issue in this design. hmm...

If my boards were assembled I could attempt to fit them closer together and squeeze a couple CMs out of the height in the design.

I've seen a few Octo-Copters with high domes but perhaps that was simply the plastic cover.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:07 AM
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
Al/CF costs etc.

Quote:
I made the design with 1/16 aluminum in mind but could redesign for CF or G10 but I'm not sure about the relative depth of the materials.
Since the design is made up of flat pieces, and you want to make it in Al, then it would certainly be worthwhile to check costs at ponoko. You'd have to change to .9mm and possibly double-up some pieces to get slightly more than 1/16. It'd be great to know how much this costs, and if you could also get a quote from Dragonplate for CF for comparison, that'd be interesting... However, as indicated in another reply, maybe the design itself needs to be revisited before thickness mods, and quotes, etc.?
Imageer is offline Find More Posts by Imageer
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:56 AM
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2011
188 Posts
It looks like a good design. Beautiful.
I had mine CNC'd out of carbon at http://bfcarbon.com/
Fantastic service, quality and price. I would never go anywhere else for CF CNC
Contact them, you can't go wrong.

The CG is a non issue with your design. Look at all the MIT vids with laser scanners and serious hardware on top of a quad. No problem.

You might want to make the motor mounts for any possible motor you might install. I made mine specific and want to change them now. Also, what is your landing gear going to look like.

Draganplate quote was very expensive, must have thought I was defense contractor. Professional work at very professional prices.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:14 AM
AP Wannabe
USA, RI, Providence
Joined Jan 2011
32 Posts
Thanks SirFishalot. I appreciate the link and the reassurance on the height issue. I've yet to work out landing gear. I'll be integrating it with a gimbal system for AP eventually but for now I'll be putting together something simple to keep my beast alive while I learn how to fly it.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:24 AM
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2011
188 Posts
Here is an example of Chris' work at BFcarbon.com work.
https://picasaweb.google.com/duncanish/HEXACOPTER#

I made the vertical bars out of 6061 AL, otherwise it's all CF. It is Helluva durable.

Maybe I will count grams later, but for now I'd like it to continue after some turfing.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:08 AM
NW England
Joined Jul 2005
620 Posts
Watched your hex vid SirFishaLot... nice hex and I'm surprised you still have your nose

Ben.
ben123 is offline Find More Posts by ben123
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:22 PM
AP Wannabe
USA, RI, Providence
Joined Jan 2011
32 Posts
Barriers.

So I'm running into a temporary barrier because of weight and issues with intricacy.

My design involves many cuts and uses a lot of material. (to the tune of about 8 square feet).

The approximate weight in G10 for the frame as it is currently presented is about 1.4-1.9 pounds not including spacers and fasteners.

Back to the CAD board I guess.