SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2011, 10:32 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Looks good Pat.

BTW, I would go with the tyres you have made... We tend to overdo tyres on these subjects, as from what I have seen, the tyres used on most Albatri (Plural for Albatros) were fairly slight.

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 10:39 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,743 Posts
Pat,

If you would like larger dia tires try auto fuel line. Comes in larger diameters and handles the weight better.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 01, 2011, 12:25 AM
Fugative Pom
Queanbeyan, NSW,Australia
Joined Jul 2009
78 Posts
Well Pat....They might have chopped you off at the knees and stuck you back together with some metal bits but it doesn't seem to have affected your productivity. Looking good.

Am I the only one that thinks this plane is cute or what???
ozybard is offline Find More Posts by ozybard
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:08 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,859 Posts
Rough Assembly

Thanks Ian - I guess if I hadn't found it somewhat intriguing, I wouldn't have offered to build it. Maybe...

Like most people, a quick assembly of the beast at the first opportunity was unavoidable! Also, I had some reservations about access to the IP strut mounting screws when she was covered. Because the struts are angled outward, the lower bolts will be rather awkward to insert and tighten. Maybe socket-head screws would work with an Allen key, or maybe make the nuts on the brackets loose rather than soldered and use a spanner (plus star washers under the screw heads). Pete will understand!

None of this issue is probably visible in these photos as I was really only throwing the bits together to check it out. I'll get some better wings photos tomorrow - promise!

Yes Ian - now I am starting to see her as a potential 'cutie'

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:30 AM
United States, NY, Dobbs Ferry
Joined Oct 2008
685 Posts
looking really great! yes, she is a cutie...

ST
nytjadens is online now Find More Posts by nytjadens
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:55 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,743 Posts
Pat,

I guess I would have put the brackets on the outside instead of inside of ribs/struts. Then access would not have been a problem. Is it too late to change? Or will it look bad?

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:07 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,859 Posts
That was certainly a choice Charlie - I guess Pete put them inside to hide the bracket but the real machine is fairly basic in that area to so your suggestion may be OK!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:58 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
She's a cutie for sure.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:58 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Have you spoken to SWMBO yet about the possibility of a dedicated shed/workshop?

The way your models are getting bigger, it might be nessecary soon.

Can you shift the brackets to the outside of the ribs and insert the screws from the inside out?

Hugh
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:18 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,859 Posts
Workshops and Stuff..

Hugh - a few years back I did build a dedicated workshop for modelling but found that my interest in larger models made it almost impossible to work around an 80" span SPAD let alone an 87" Lysander! So I moved back into the garage where the space is expandable. The old workshop is now a store room, music/art studio and maaaybeee an HO train room

Here is a nicer outdoor picture of the DXI and its IP strut with fixing plates reversed - when painted I suspect they'll not be noticed so much!

Work has slowed as I need to go to the LHS and restock balsa and ply! The Morane Saulnier consumed most of my stash!

Pat

BTW - I live in a townhouse with limited areato build a larger shed!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:28 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Looking good Pat! seems you have been holding out on us with regards to some other progress that has been made, have your elves been playing with the covering iron again, the Hurri seems a bit further advanced that i recall?
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:32 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Quote:
BTW - I live in a townhouse with limited areato build a larger shed!
Tell you what Pat, Sell the town house and buy 20 Acres with dual occupancy (And a barn for a workshop), my wife and I will move up to maintain the place for you and I'll keep a paddock smooth for flying off of.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:11 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Hugh, that will never work, Pat prefers his runways to be manicured daily with a rotaryhoe
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jun 02, 2011, 01:32 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
I thought he prefered it to be fertilized daily with fresh whatever.
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:24 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,859 Posts
Hey guys - there's nothing wrong with my strip - it's just having to share it with several tonnes of bulls that is annoying!

I mounted the wheels on brass tube stub-axles soldered to the shortened steel axle. A brass washer soldered inboard of the wheel stops the bungee rubbing on the wheel and another washer and a Cotter (split) pin will hold the wheel in place.

The TE was sanded using a length of 1/16 wire as a gauge angainst the balsa. A strip of masking tape over the ribs indicates when the sanding is about to go too far. The remainder of the frames were rough sanded - a final sanding will be done prior to covering.

Because I chose to put the IP strut brackets outside the ply rib instead of as-designed , extra balsa blocks had to be fitted to secure the covering. More blocks with short lengths of al tube inserted were glued to the same rib - these anchor thelower ends of those wondrous diagonal struts!

Pat
RCG Plus Member