HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2011, 06:38 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,660 Posts
According to the 3 view, the undercamber is still there, it also seems to have the typical reflex on the ailerons, just like the other version.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2011, 10:42 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,781 Posts
Bits and Pieces....

A parcel arrived with the post this Monday morning from HK - I ordered the stuff last Thursday, it left HK on Friday and was in my grubby little hands Monday morning - no complaints about service here! It didn't even go through customs

Two Turnigy 4250 SK motors, two spare motor shafts, two 60 amp Turnigy Plush ESC, two Assan 8 ch 2.4 ghz rx and 8 GWS mini ball race servos - enough for at least two 1/6 scale German WWI fighters

But not just yet.....

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 12:24 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,501 Posts
Maltone, how do you like your Assan radio gear? I have one installed in my Hitec Optic 6 and have had no problems whatsoever.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old May 02, 2011, 04:44 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,781 Posts
Tony - likewise Although the range is not quoted as huge, I have never had a loss of communication - more than I can say for my 36mhz gear!
I just buy another couple of rx everytime I order from HK... and the failsafe system seems to work well in tests too.
I seldom fly with more than 2-3 other 2.4 users at a time so the lack of freq agility etc has not been an issue with me.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2011, 12:33 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,781 Posts
Beginnings..

As a rest from the detail work in my Morane AI, I have made a small start on the Rake Albatros DXI - mostly just prepping the various parts of the fuselage structure. This involved laminating the 1/4" balsa cowl parts, also laminating the 1/8" ply parts for the motor mount and undercarriage plates.

As often happens, the 1/8 ply supplied is closer to 4mm so some widening of slots and rebates is required - esp. where laminated parts are used!

The fuselage sides consist of 3/16" balsa front sides and tail end panels with some 3/16" sq longerons (actually they might be called 'shorterons' - there is not much of them ). As an experiment, I am using 'Superphatic' glue - a very thin, fast setting aliphatic concoction. We'll see how it works!

A note for Pete - the motor mount parts MR/ML and the laminated M do not quite match. The M tabs seem wider than the MR/ML slots. Could you please check? - I may be wrong...........

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2011, 12:36 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,781 Posts
As an aside, this will, hopefully, be a 'no-frills' build. There is very little info available on the DXI so anything but basic enhancements would be mostly guesswork. This might mean I will stick to the plan (mostly) and forgo rivets, rib tapes, cockpits etc.........

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2011, 02:40 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,660 Posts
You're right, the tabs were too big, but aren't now.

Pete
Old May 19, 2011, 01:26 PM
Devon,UK
Joined Nov 2002
255 Posts
Albatros DXI

Hi Pat
I am enclosing a few jpg`s of a polish Karaya plastic kit review showing some details. You will note the fuselage color is dark red. This is confirmed by Dan san Abbott from the Aerodrome forum. I cannot upload this article for you as it is not accepted in the attachments to this reply. He does say`some aircraft were stained with a dark redish brown stain. The Alb DXI prototype fuselages were stained with tan and dark ruby stains prior to weatherproof laquer or varnish`.
The article is called "stained" German plywood, in the Aerodrome forum. Hope this helps, as not very much info is available for this a/c. I love the shape.
franciscan is offline Find More Posts by franciscan
Old May 19, 2011, 04:05 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,781 Posts
Thanks for the pictures - I'll look up the article. I believe only two DXI were made - but I assumed the finish would be standard Albatros practice. The second prototype had a painted fuselage and a 4-blade prop - this is the one that appeals to me.
Pat (dreaming of lozenges....)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2011, 02:50 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,781 Posts
A Fuselage is born....

The basic fuselage sides are from 3/16 balsa sheet parts and 3/16 sq strip. The second side was built over the first with some plastic between them.
When the Superphatic was cured, the two balsa doublers were added at the lower edges then 1/8 ply formers F1 and F4 were glued in place and carefully squared up. The second side was then glued to F1/F4 and held in place overnight with large chunks of iron - all the time checking that the sides were aligned with each other and the formers square.

UC mounting parts and F3 formers were added next and then with the fuselage carefully pinned down over the top plan view, the various rear parts were added and clamped until dry.

After a good sanding, the nexts task will be to add various brass tubes to support struts etc.

Pete - the plans do not show any sheet covering underneath the rear fuselage - was this intended or to be otherwise covered? With no underside sheeting, the tailskid plate is only glued by its edges...

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2011, 04:37 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
looking good Pat, one day i will have to upgrade my cans of flyspray for some of the exotic tooling (railway iron) that you are using. looks like the knees are well and truely on the mend

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old May 20, 2011, 04:51 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,781 Posts
Craig - knees are way ahead of schedule but I cant drive into the LHS yet or climb a ladder to replace one of my bench photography spotlights
A week or two and I'll be legal - might even get some flying in!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2011, 04:51 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,660 Posts
Optional mate. For the painted fuselage it's lighter without the sheet. After your earlier experiences with 1/32 balsa, maybe 1/64 ply would be a better option under there.

Pete
Old May 21, 2011, 02:35 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,781 Posts
Various sections of tube were bound and epoxied in place - these support the lower wing, the centre section struts and the rather odd-looking wing support struts. As in other Albatros aircraft, the rudder linkage is internal and the model has a vertical wire-in-tube-with-horn-at-the-bottom lower hinge!

I compromised with the fuselage sheeting - the underside was covered in cross-grain 1mm balsa, the rear fuselages sides in lengthwise 1mm balsa and the forward sides in 1.5mm balsa sanded to blend with the rear sheeting. The 1.5mm is necessary because of other structures needing that thickness.

The top is quite a curvy beast from the cockpit back - I may do it in sections as Hammerd had to on his DVa.

As my scheme will be all painted, the balsa will probably be given a layer of tissue first minimising excess filler.......

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2011, 04:01 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,781 Posts
Top Sheeting....

Having decided where my servos can go and it was safe to fit the fuselage top decking - off we went.

The section aft of the cockpit is a fair compound curve and so I used three sections of 2mm soft sheet instead of the 1/16 shown on the plan. This can then be sanded down to a smooth curve when all the sheeting is done. A card template was cut for each section and it went together fine. The section at the rear will be added later when the fin/rudder is built and the internal linkage sorted.

After fitting the cowl rear plate, the 1/16 sheet forward deck was fitted without any problems. There is a slight curve to the cockpit section, easily done by cutting a small hole where the cockpit will be and splitting the sheet behind. When the rest was securely glued, the section behing the opening was sanded and cut to fit exactly. The real cockpit opening will be cut later.

Next will be the side 'cheeks' used on many German rotary engine aircraft - Fokker esp. Peter has suggested block balsa or form from extensions of the cowl sheeting - I'll do the latter.....

Pat
RCG Plus Member