HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:21 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,969 Posts
Lozenges Suck........

I'd finished the upper lozenges and it was a magnificent mid-winter day and so the wing was fixed the model and outside in the sun! She looks fairly good but will be better with rib-tapes, crosses etc.

I did the 'right' thing and layed the pattern in alternating chord-wise directions and the ailerons span-wise. I think the fabric was used in whatever direction suited. The lower wing was fitted span-wise as the fabric was wide enough. That's my story and I'm stickin' with it

The rib tapes I'm making from strips of Oratex (Solartex equiv) pre-painted blue. Then the crosses can be painted over the tapes. The undersides are yet to be painted and then the LE and TE edges tidied up.

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:18 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
the closer it is to being finished the more attractive this tubby little aircraft becomes! your lozenge colours look great Pat.

Craig
trumps is online now Find More Posts by trumps
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:45 AM
Joined Jul 2011
12 Posts
D.xi painting

Pat,
it looks as though the rest of the world was wrong - and you and I were right ! It really is a surprisingly attractive aicraft despite its stubby shape. Your wonderful paint job also brings it to life in a way that the black and white originl photos cannot. I simply cannot wait to see the paint job completed and then a video of it flying.
Really inspiring stuff - many thanks.
Paul
Mu17 is offline Find More Posts by Mu17
Old Aug 04, 2011, 05:51 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,969 Posts
All Lozenged out!

A days on-and-off work saw the wing underside 'lozenged'. I wasn't as precise with this bit but it looks OK - esp as few will look there!

Now I can touch up leading and trailing edges, apply ribs tapes etc.

About 3 feet above this wing, the Morane Saulnier sulks............!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2011, 04:18 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,933 Posts
The M-S isn't sulking, it is snickering.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Aug 07, 2011, 04:10 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,969 Posts
Rib Tapes...

With the lozenges finished to my satisfaction (but probably not everyone elses..) it was time to apply the prominent rib tapes. The colour is probably a bit dark but it's what I had in a spray can. A piece of Solartex was given a thin coat of blue and allowed to dry for a day or three while I finished the lozenges. This was cut into 5mm wide strips and ironed in place over the ribs. I used my fibreglass ironing cloth between the iron and the painted tapes - it helps stop any softened paint getting on the iron and adjacent surfaces.

When all was done, the ailerons were fitted and their hinges CAed in place. I'll add the horns and servo links then mask and spray a white background for the wing crosses.

It's not a beautiful job but I'm pleased enough, have learnt many techniques and to a non-expert, it looks the part

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2011, 05:04 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Looks good to me Pat.
What about the paler tapes on the tail surfaces? Are you going to darken them to suit?

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Aug 07, 2011, 05:15 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,969 Posts
Hugh - I'll pretend it was a different batch of tape dyes - anything available was used at this stage of the development

Pat

...but youve planted the seed of an idea......
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:29 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Ahah! I see.

A seed?... hope it doesn't grow into something noxious.

Hugh
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:06 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,969 Posts
Top wing done....

Hugh - just to keep you grumpy - I notice there are actually three different tape hues

After centreing the aileron servos using a servo tester (very handy), and clamping the ailerons at neutral, 16 swg wire was bent to form the links. I seldom use adjustable links - get it right first time and make any minor adjustments in the transmitter. The servo arms were positioned slightly forward to allow more up than down travel if differential is applied. Of course, all the above is rubbish if the servos are Y connected to a single channel whn things should be more accurately set up.

With ailerons in place, the cross outlines were masked out and the edges sprayed flat white, then when dry (or should have been!) narrow 6mm wide tape was applied to mask off the white borders and the rest sprayed flat black. Keen observers will note that while the crosses are the correct 4:5 size ratio, the arms are thicker than they should be - I'll get it right on the DVII!

Quite a bit of lifting of the white occurred when removing the tape and some touching up was needed. I shouldn't be in so much of a hurry.

With the top wing now done, it's back to the fuselage details - firstly a pair of Spandaus. I'm keeping them very simple scratch-builds as they are mostly hidden.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:10 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
857 Posts
Pat,
That looks great, you make it look to easy
-Reuben
ben199 is online now Find More Posts by ben199
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:23 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,318 Posts
Stunning! Your making your own spandau's I imagine, looking forward to seeing how you go about the cooling jacket!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is online now Find More Posts by trumps
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:49 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that. I am sure there is a good explanation.

Grumpy? Me? I am way past grumpy and have achieved the nirvana that comes with finally having Litespan work for me... Whatch the Tabloid thread for updates and photos.

I'm my own worst enemy.

Hugh
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:34 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,969 Posts
A Start on Spandaus

Hugh - I was really trying to make you grumpy by having used 3 coloured tapes - obviously it didn't work so will try harder

While I do have some Williams Spandau kits, they are reserved for the DVII so I will make a pair of VERY simple units for this DXI. The method is the same as I've used several times before and they will get their 'Spandauness' from the slotted cooling jacket - much simpler than a Vickers!

Using the williams kit as a size guide, some plain card was taped to the bench and a grid marked out on it. Then a series of small holes were punched using a brass tube and then cut into slots with the #11. After wrapping around a piece of tube and glued, they form a basic slotted jacket.

The breech blocks/recievers are simple blocks of scrap balsa grain-filled and sanded smooth. The barrels are lengths of plastic tube. When I've made the front and rear discs, the little guns can be assembled and painted - easy

Pat (a coat of flat black hides many sins.......)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:34 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Cool!

Hugh

(Practicing Zen and the Art of PR Design Building)