HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:34 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Oops........

Just when I was starting to get back up to speed on this one, I had flash of 'old-timers' disease.
Having applied some rib tapes using blue Solartrim vinyl, I picked up the can of clear satin acrylic and started to spray the wing. The spray was a bit lumpy which I attributed to the very cold air in the garage but also, the can was heavier, larger and even a different colour than before. Finally the grey cells sparked and I noticed the can said "automotive spray filler" ..oops..

After some frantic cleaning off with thinners, the coloured parts were re-painted and if I dont point it out to critics, they'll think it was intentional weathering....I hope

Pat (dickh..d)
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:49 AM
Fugative Pom
Queanbeyan, NSW,Australia
Joined Jul 2009
78 Posts
Quote:
Just when I was starting to get back up to speed on this one, I had flash of 'old-timers' disease.
That's definitely a "BUGGER"! moment. Now, I can remember the time (just) when I only had one of them a month but now..........
ozybard is offline Find More Posts by ozybard
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:36 PM
Joined Jul 2011
12 Posts
Alb.D.XI

You're welcome Pat. That photo does illustrate the shape rather better than the others.
Whats your plan for a dummy engine ?
Paul
Mu17 is offline Find More Posts by Mu17
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Dummy engine? - since only a tiny portion is visible behind and under the big spinner, I'll probably settle for a simple disc with the visible detail on it. At 1/6 scale I cant get away with a bit of dowel and thread wrapped around but should manage something simple ..... Spandaus will also be simple

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:33 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Bottom Wings Done - sort of....

The lower wings have been a comedy (?) of errors. Apart from the attempt at using body filler as clear coat, after tidying everything up and repainting, a coat of acrylic satin clear was applied. It is very windy outside and so I sprayed a little closer than usual and got some heavier areas of spray (plus, probably, a fair bit of propellant).

Now I knew that enamels take quite a while to cure completely and so I created a new look Albatros with a crinkle-finish paint job After a moment of panic, I let the clear acrylic harden and while much of the wrinkling went away, it needed a light sanding with 400 paper to make it OK again. Whew! Another MIST coat of clear acrylic and all is well - from a safe distance

The darker rib tapes are a better colour but the vinyl doesnt stick so well to matt paint and so I hope they dont lift off later.

The top wing is/was going to be an experiment with 'silk' (actually polyester chiffon) over something - airspan or even film. An experiment as I've never done a silk-on-tissue finish and want to get it sorted before I start the Fokker DVII.

Next is to fit servos etc to the top wing.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:52 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Plodding Along....

The two GWS mini-size servos (about 20gm) were installed in the wing. As usual I have CAed them to the inside of the ply hatches after winding a few turns of masking tape around the servo body. This makes it easy to remove the servo later. Never had one come loose yet......

The servos have 500mm extensions up the CS and will be fed down into the fuselage inside a piece of flexible tube between the two Spandaus. It is very constricted in there and who's going to question a pipe from the upper wing of a unkown plane? - Probably Peter Rake...

The balanced ailerons and the wing are covered as before with Lurid Pink and Swampy Green. But rather than paint the lozenges directly onto the film, I'll attempt to cover the upper surfaces with VERY lightweight chiffon polyester fabric first. I'll dope it on and try out painting onto it. If it doesn't work, I can just recover the upper surface. Worth a try

First time I've photographed a model in the house - it is very bl..dy cold in the workshop!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:51 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Looking good Pat!

Craig
trumps is online now Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:28 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
Pat,

Seems like a good time to try printing onto tissue and doping it to the film.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:32 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Charlie - I'd considered it but my printer is uses ink at such a rate, it would cost a fortune but mostly, I wanted to try a proper woven fabric with real texture - I'm happy with the hand painting. I believe that with right selection of colours, it could look correct. We'll see

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:18 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
I believe that with right selection of colours, it could look correct. We'll see
Looking good Pat. On the topic of colours, I have recently begun using the paints from Warbird Colors in the USA. They are water based polyurethane, and they really are top notch in quality. I have been applying them thinned with windshield washer fluid and spraying them on, and the results have been great. Along with the WW2 colours, they also have a range of WW1 colours, including German Lozenge. It might be rather pricey to have them shipped to you, but they really are nice paints.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:57 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,624 Posts
I admire your hand painted lozenge job. I am inspired!
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:18 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
First Attempt at Fabric....

After covering the aileron with Lightex film as before, I did my first fabric-over-anything covering. The polyester chiffon is about the same weight as silk I could buy locally andit was stuck down with thinned dope. This was the hardest bit as the plastic doesn't give any 'grip' of its own but stuck it is. Because the air temperature here is very low, the thinned dope dried with a streaky white bloom (I assume that was the cause) and this shows through the paint a little. Painting the un-sealed fabric is quite difficult and a coat or two of dope first would be much easier. I'll try that on the secons aileron.

I like the soft, muted colours and would be quite happy with that finish all over - not factory fresh but a little war-weary It will gain a little more of a satin finish with a coat or two of clear acrylic later.

'nuff for now

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:16 PM
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
What's the humidity like there? The cloudy thing sounds like what lacquer applied in humid conditions does. I live in the land of humidity!

Nice work, Pat...as always!

David
cd_webb is online now Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:33 PM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,037 Posts
That is indeed a fine finish Pat - it does look like an aged fabric. I'm interested to know why you have chosen to use the chiffon over the Lightex film and not just cover directly with the chiffon? Does doing it this way lessen the dope required to seal the chiffon in the same way as tissue over mylar?

Dope blushing I believe is resultant to humidity rather than temperature per se. On the Barton control line forum there has been some discussion on this subject. There was talk that using acetone as the thinning agent might also be a contributing factor. They were I believe advocating the use of laquer thinner instead. I'll go and have a look see and if I have misquoted or find anything else I'll repost here.

Simon
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:18 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
It would ordinarily be quite dry up there in the New South Wales Highlands where Pat lives. But recently the whole of Eastern Australia has been the "Lucky" recipient of a substantial amount of rain (we prayed for it for more than 10 years and now it's here, we wish it would p!ss off!).
http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/observations/nswall.shtml

As you can see, the relative humidity is wildly varying.

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV