HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:24 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Sandancer's Avatar
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
Starmax 63" P-51 "Gunfighter": The Arsenal.

I couldn't live with those "Bombs/Drop Tanks"?.....or whatever they are, so I set out to change things up a bit!





The first thing I needed to figure out was how to mount the pylons to the wings? Using the recessed area for the original "whatevers" I made a couple of 1/16" mounting plates. To attach the plates to the wings I epoxied two 3mm blind nuts. To get the bend in the plates to conform to the curvature of the wing I clamped them to a form and subjected them to some intensely hot water, and then a nice suntan under the broiler in my oven.

I already had a set of pylons made up so all I needed to do was sand the needed curvature in the base to fit the wing, so I used my oscillating drum sander to achieve that. Once the plates had cooled down I attached them to the pylons with a couple of screws and then mounted the finished pylons to the wings with 3mm x 3/16" button heads.

With the Fourmost Bomb Release I am able to exchange either the 500 lbs. Bombs, or the 75 gal. Drop Tanks.
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 21, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Reply

Thread Tools