HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:22 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Discussion
KK Blueboard controlled Tricopters

Hi all, it's been a while since I started a new thread so here is what I have been up to. I started playing around with the "T" shaped copters with stand alone gyros right off the bat and I thought they did quite well. I then tried my hand at the wii thing and things did not go so well. After that episode, I decided to build a "Y" shaped copter and fit it with a KK blueboard. This is a single premade board that is so simple it will make you silly

The KK board has a lot of capability, but the simplicity is what got me. 4 jumpers mount it up, plug in the motors, go fly. It is that easy. It has been the best $100.00 I have spent in a long time. Well $200.00, I now have two Tricopters with these boards installed. I have a 15" arm version and a 19" arm version. The 15" inch is my favorite but the 19" is not far behind. As far as flying goes, there is no comparison to a "T" shaped copter the "Y" is by far superior. I got real comfortable after just a couple flights. Anyway, Here aresome pics of my latest tools as well as a couple of demo ground videos to show the flight quality. It was pretty breezy in both clips but the copters don't care much. I will be posting some onboard video when I find some worthy subject matter....

15" Arm Video clip:

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...2_uPmbm/Medium

19" Arm Video clip:

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...0_uwvb5/Medium

KK Blue board link:

http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.html?modea=manual

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:42 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,367 Posts
Looking good Mike! I'm going to take a peak at that board.

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:01 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,382 Posts
Mike I am very much interested in the KK board. Do you have a link to buy it? Also, it has to be easy for me, I'm not to sharp! I do have a quadcopter with a FY90Q on it and I like it but I have to really work with it to keep it level.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:55 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Hi Quailbird,

You can scroll down on this page and order any config you want in a controller. All of the boards are the same, he just flashes it with the firmware you choose. If you order the little programmer link you can download and change the firmware to what ever you like. I like Tricopters so I ordered two of that config. The instructions are really quite easy and straight forward. I feel this is the way to go for plug and fly

Both times I have ordered, my products came to my door within a week. He (Minsoo) is very good about shipping as well as answering email questions.

http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.ht...=KKMulticopter

Mike
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:25 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,382 Posts
I have never downloaded any firmware, I was always afraid of messing up. If, or when I get my KK board, (I hate being a bother) but I'd need some guidance. That is what I love about this forum. (Tax time) I just paid mine, so now I have to save. Thanks Mike!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Apr 08, 2011, 11:39 AM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
536 Posts
Great build and flying Mike, and great news on that blueboard.

What motors & ESC are you using?

Tom
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:58 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTom View Post
Great build and flying Mike, and great news on that blueboard.

What motors & ESC are you using?

Tom
Thanks Tom,

ESC's are Turnigy Plush 25's on both. Motors on the 15" are AXI 2212-34's Motors on the 19" are Pulso 2212-34's.

Mike
Old Apr 08, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,472 Posts
Great build and presentation, Mike. Very inspiring!

Would you consider this board to be reliable enough to hang a more expensive cam on it? I mean, are "flips of death" common like with other boards?

I am looking into building an Y6 with this board. I see that Minsoo offers it for that config too on the website linked by you.

Miha
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old Apr 08, 2011, 04:34 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~ View Post
Great build and presentation, Mike. Very inspiring!

Would you consider this board to be reliable enough to hang a more expensive cam on it? I mean, are "flips of death" common like with other boards?

I am looking into building an Y6 with this board. I see that Minsoo offers it for that config too on the website linked by you.

Miha
Thanks Miha, So far this board has been rock solid. I am going to be shooting with a Canon s95 soon ($400.00) If I had the power I would trust it completely with a DSLR. It feels that good to me.

Mike
Old Apr 08, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,472 Posts
The S95 is what I am going to strap under it too. Until I saw your post I was sure I would want a MultiWiiCopter Y6 but now I am not so sure about that anymore

Thanks and waiting for the on-board video. The subject doesn't matter. Only how the horizont "shakes" (or not)
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old Apr 08, 2011, 05:37 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
The S95 is what I am going to strap under it too. Until I saw your post I was sure I would want a MultiWiiCopter Y6 but now I am not so sure about that anymore

Thanks and waiting for the on-board video. The subject doesn't matter. Only how the horizont "shakes" (or not)
If you plan on the S95 you will have plenty of power. I get 10 min flights with a 3s 2200 pack with the 3 oz Gopro. The S95 is about double, this setup will hardly feel it

Mike
Old Apr 08, 2011, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
Hi Mike,

WOW, haven't seen you on here in a while. I ordered one of those same boards (I think it's at the post office...I have something there anyway). I'm glad to see it has your stamp of approval. Makes me feel good about my purchase. If it does what I want, I may be ordering more also.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:50 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Sometime this year I want to add a heli, and was seriously considering the Gaui, or building one like signguy's wii if it was simple enough.

So far, this looks like an even better option, subscribed!
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Last edited by Glenstr; Apr 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:13 PM
Studies the wind
United States, CA, Yountville
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
subcribe!
ghoti is offline Find More Posts by ghoti
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:59 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:

Here is a quick clip from yesterday, I slapped the Gopro on before the rain started. I took it up above my house and tried to park it for a while. Not perfect but not to shabby for stability.

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...2_3p4tz/Medium

Mike