HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:51 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Discussion
Funbuild 4 - AeroWerkes/Guillows Albatros D5a

This is so much fun, and I am learning tons as I go. This is the fourth of the funbuild 4 builds for me. Maybe I can get an award for most participation.

I need to confess, I bought a UMX Beast (oh no an arf ) and it completely revised my view on small models. It flies like a big model. I am going to try to use a power system that is similar, maybe slightly heaver components, but still come out with a performer and fairly small - 18" span. I will be shooting for an all up weight of 3 ounces or less.

The framing goes fast with these laser cut SRKs. I desided to use bass for the stringers to protect it from my fat fingers. The wood used where the cut line will be for the rudder and elevator was 1/4", the only deviation. The wings were built with scale dihedrial, which is none for the top and 1/2" for each tip on the bottom. Ailerons will be cut into the top wing, but it is thin so I am scratching my head on how to drive them, maybe some 2 gram linear actuators.

The motor is an AP05 Motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9662 and will be turning a GWS 5043.

The motor was mounted on a disk of plywood that was positioned and then cross braces were glued, first one all across vertically to get incidence and then two that nailed the side thrust. It could have been a bit further back, but it is easier to put on the rubber band for the prop. The spinner was found at the local Hobby Town, it is for the small parkzone Albatros. It looks like it will do for both the 16" DII and the 18" D5a.

The ESC is a Turnigy 6 amp with the power and motor wires removed. The motor wires were soldered directly to the ESC, of course with a 50-50 shot at wrong, it was wrong and had to be redone. The battery connector is the same as the Beast uses so the batteries can be used across models. I separated the motor wires so they would not rub the insulation off each other. The ESC is mounted behind the motor on a small piece of balsa.

http://www.rc-connectors.com is a good source for weird and strange connectors.
LenBFP is online now Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Apr 07, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:23 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Control Surfaces Cut In

Moving right along, the control surfaces have been cut in. After reading about Mark's landing gear problem on the SE5, wire will be added for a bit of resilience.

The weight is looking good so far, 31 grams including the motor, esc and receiver.

A second layer of 1/16" bass was added to the bottom of the vertical stabilizer to give the rudder clearance.
Last edited by LenBFP; Apr 10, 2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:46 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
My favorite plane Len ( beside the P40 )! Great choice and am eager to see a build of these no matter what the size . Could have a hanger of just Albatros DVa & P40s ...

Great job thus far !

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:51 AM
Turn-n-Burn!
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
52 Posts
Nice!
CajunAce is online now Find More Posts by CajunAce
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:13 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
One of my favorites is the old P40B. It actually had a sharkey look to it. More so than the later ones. The P6 Hawk is another favorite.
Last edited by LenBFP; Apr 10, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:04 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Some of the Hobby King linear actuators were put in for the ailerons. Two bass rails were glued across the top of the wing. The servo was glued to that and as the wing is too thin to actually cover the bottom, the box is as close as I could get it. Hopefully the covering will go over it all ok with a little slit for the control arm.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:03 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenBFP View Post
One of my favorites is the old P40B. It actually had a sharkey look to it. More so than the later ones. The P6 Hawk is another favorite.
Would love to see Longhorne design a P40B ! I'd scoop one up in a second The Hawk is really cool too !

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Apr 11, 2011, 09:16 AM
United States, MO, Marshall
Joined Sep 2009
554 Posts
Hi Len,
Looking good and wow your 4th. You definately win the speed award. I've been considering getting some of those linear servos from HK. Have you used them in the past and if so how do you like them?

Dan
Slow_Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Slow_Buzz
Old Apr 11, 2011, 09:34 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Nice Len, The Beast is a fun little plane. I got one to transplant into another build but took it out an had fun in the backyard so to speak. So I bought a second one to sacrifice. For the money you get everything you need for a good flight pack. Not HK prices but hey instant gratification. Also you might want to consider picking up some Guillows stringers, they are harder than the wood supplied in the DPC kit and lighter than the Bass. Just a thought. You can order it on the Guillows parts page. I like the 1000 series lengths and you would have a few years supply for an 11 dollar order.

Subbed in,

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:05 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Hi Dan,

I haven't flown yet with the HK actuators, but they have been used for the aileron servos on a couple of models that are in progress. I have to use a dropping diode between the ESC and receiver, but their sensitivity hooked to one of the HK DSM2 compatible receivers is nice. If I have the stick to an extreme and let it go the servo even follows the little overshoot and back on the stick. I don't care for them with a conventional receiver, they hunt and chatter too much. The motor looks bigger than the one on the Beast actuators.

I got a little expo dialed in correctly on the Beast last weekend and it was a smooth flyer. I had put in -50% expo only to be told that was backwards. No wonder it was hard to control.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Apr 11, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:33 AM
United States, MO, Marshall
Joined Sep 2009
554 Posts
Thanks for the reply Len. Sounds like they might be workable, although your comment about fussy with conventional receivers bothers me some......or are you referring to a 72 mhz receiver? If so, no problemo for me as I'm strictly 2.4 ghz.

Dan
Slow_Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Slow_Buzz
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:54 AM
Turn-n-Burn!
Joined Oct 2009
52 Posts
I have and old Guillows FOkker D.VII kit that is partially built. 18" Would be perfect size for a conversion. My dad still has the Camel and Spad VII in plastic wrap!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:24 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Dan, I think the linear actuators are digital with about 1024 steps, I think the analog 72MHz stuff is more like 256 steps with some noise and dead band, the two don't seem to mix well. Hopefully any of the 2.4GHz stuff will work ok. I know I'm happy with the DSM2 stuff.

CajunAce - I think you are right, the 18" stuff is a good size for conversion.

Len
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:46 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Landing Gear

Decided to go into this one with wire for the landing gear. The wire only adds a gram or so and the golden rod a couple. If I can find some neoprene for the tires I'll be a happy camper. The disks that were for the spinner look like they will be the right size for the wheels with some tubing.

The gear is made of two open trapazoid sorta shapes. You can see the end pieces of the rear one in the picture. The axles are the end pieces of the front one that passes through the fuselage. Small diameter golden rod pushrod material is used slid over the wire as struts, but small straws or maybe cocktail mixing straws could also be used. The piece through the fuselage is glued to a cross brace of bass and the two trapazoids are bound together with kevlar thread at the axles.

The wing is not fixed yet in the picture. It will come back out for covering, I was just trying to get an idea of where the end pieces of the rear struts would be.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Apr 12, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:33 AM
Turn-n-Burn!
Joined Oct 2009
52 Posts
Aerodormerc.com MIGHT have some wheel kits!!! This build is quite interesting.