HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:45 PM
United States, CA, Cambria
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
Discussion
rescue boat

At our RC model yacht club here in San Luis Obispo we have a great venue to sail in and take advantage of it twice a week for some fun racing. Like all RC boats ocasionaly one will have a breakdown or snag of some kind and be uncontrolable. Our lake is huge and we have access to only a portion of the shore line so simply letting the boat drift into reach is not practical. We try use our other boats to snag or direct the out of control one to shore. We have been thinking that using an electric RC power boat as a rescue craft would be a good idea.

Do any of you have experience with such a rescue method? Do you have photos of the boat in action or ideas which kind of capture method works best.

Thanks for your help,
Phil Adams
philadams is offline Find More Posts by philadams
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:57 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
This might work..

Phil, I'm kidding of course..

but I can imagine the problem .. especially when its windy .. you need a pretty big boat with a lotta torque behind it to get out there quickly and counter the sails.. I think a dinghy might be more reliable .. send us a pic Ok

Meanwhile I know Boomer has some tips on this.. he does Power boats.. i don't and have had to hoof it.. there's also the possibility of borrowing a surfboard and paddling out too.. but seeing a boat .. lining the two up for a U shaped grapple at distance is going to be a real problem. How far across is it?
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:30 PM
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
rescue boat

OK,
Your rescue craft option would be tooo distracting to be of help!!

Here is a photo of our lake and as you can see it is about 100 yds across and private homes on the other side plus reeds that cover a good portion of the shore line. We could of course bring a kayak everytime we sail but that is a hassle since we sail twice a week. So we are exploring other options and a power RC rescue boat seems to be a possibility.

Cheers,
Phil
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:41 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,411 Posts
I use my Vacutug as a rescue boat. There are several good ideas on sailboat rescue over on that site. I've towed-in my 4 masted barque Pamir (3'hull) in moderate winds, say up to 10kts. But that was not directly upwind, but rather on a beam reach course.

If you have to bring the model back to a specific site, then you will need a rowboat, most likely. Sailboats can easily overpower a model motor boat if the wind is strong; they have a lot of thrust from the sails, and the waves will reduce effectiveness of the rescue boat's propeller. So, a human boat/kayak is necessary for 100% effectiveness (and even then, w/o practice, rescue w/o damage is unlikely)

Rescue boat work (using model or real) takes practice. I find it fun in itself. Even if it does not always work, I bet some of your members would have fun just training themselves for rescue.

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:18 PM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
I like the simplicity of this one :
RC Rescue and Recovery Barge with on board wireless video camera. (7 min 3 sec)

Look at this one, more sophisticated : http://cmbj.free.fr/Realisations/chamley/crabe1.htm
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Last edited by jpparisy; Apr 07, 2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Use of the YouTube link
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:39 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,411 Posts
Hoghappy, usually on scale sailboats forum, has had a lot of success rescuing sail and motor boats with his Atlantic Harbor tug. It's bigger than the Vacutug.
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 08, 2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: wrong name on Hoghappy's tugboat
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:46 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Phil, I'm kidding of course..

but I can imagine the problem .. especially when its windy .. you need a pretty big boat with a lotta torque behind it to get out there quickly and counter the sails.. I think a dinghy might be more reliable .. send us a pic Ok

Meanwhile I know Boomer has some tips on this.. he does Power boats.. i don't and have had to hoof it.. there's also the possibility of borrowing a surfboard and paddling out too.. but seeing a boat .. lining the two up for a U shaped grapple at distance is going to be a real problem. How far across is it?
By far, that is the best rescue arrangement I have ever seen. I want to join that club. JP's fan driven barge is very, very cool. I would love to have the plans for that one. Still, yours will be hard to top.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Apr 07, 2011, 11:51 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
926 Posts
Hi Phil
this subject come up all the time.
and these guys are right , recovering a non-working electric motor boat IS
a completely different animal than trying to recover a rc sailboat .
question : how do you guys set your marks for racing ? I guess it is not
with some powered rc boat - point is , having a rc boat for mark setting
AND rescue work is pretty normal - especially for a lot of us that sail where
ANY kind of people boats are NOT permitted !
So, if we have a dead boat , or a couple of boats that got tangled up ,
we use our mark setting boat with this system.
from a home center we have one of those "mason line" spools , holds
500 feet of line. we also got a half dozen pretty good size plastic fishing
bobbers (like 2" dia.). we hook the end of the mason line onto the stern of
our boat , and as the line spools out , we clip a bobber on every 6' or so
we simply steer the boat out to the distressed vessel , circle it and on
purpose tangle the line around the keel ( thats what the bobbers do ,keep
the first 30 or 40' of line floating). kill the power to the power boat , and
slowly just pull everything back to shore.
I know , it sounds ugly - but it is simple, it works,and if one guy tends
the mason line and re-spools it the procedure aint so bad. we use this to
rescue both our Soling 1M boats (10 lbs) AND our Santa Barbara's ( 70"
long and 22 lbs).
You would need a super powerfull ( and costly) rc boat to try and PULL
a sailboat back to shore, and still have problems -
and remember - NEVER swim after a broken boat.
hope this helps
Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:05 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,411 Posts
Capture methods I've used with the vacutug:
1. towline with hook ; the towline is a floating flyline, homemade hook with float. The towline needs to be long enough that the tug can circle the casualty, as Jims says, judging distance is difficult.
2. H frame made of 1/2" pvc pipe and hotwater pipe foam insulation noodles. The frame creates a lot of drag, slowing the tug. disadvantages: in waves, the hulls will probably hit occasionally; must be able to judge distance more accurately than towline method
3. S frame made ditto above. disadvantages: ditto above; the tug is offset from the centerline and this affects steering greatly.

You can make it easier to snag a casualty with the towline if you have a painter with a small weight dangling off the bow of the sailboat. Of course this would be anathama to a racing sailor.... The farthest rescue I've made is about 100yds; our boating pond is 400' across.

towhook:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736873

H frame photo post#2:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727913
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 08, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:12 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Yes I think thorsail has the best idea with a Power Boat....getting a line wrapped round the keel and pulling it in .. (assumes you can get out there quick enough tho)..

If not
you can send Charlie's Angles out .. (or send your kids out with a leash line to tie to the bow)... try to get it on video Ok..

Regards, JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadams View Post
OK,
Your rescue craft option would be tooo distracting to be of help!!
.. exploring other options and a power RC rescue boat seems to be a possibility.

Cheers,
Phil
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:12 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,296 Posts
A Springer set up with pvc forks and pool noodle foam. Has never let us down with boats of all sizes. This one belongs to KMOT over on the Hansen Dam Irregulars thread in Dock Talk. There is also a Springer thread over there. I would say we have at least half a dozen Springers set up like this for AAA duty.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Apr 08, 2011, 04:57 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,992 Posts
Since sailboats dont always stop when control is lost, the "take a line out and pull the lot back in" method is more universally likely to work. It just requires a boat fast enough to catch the target, and big enough to stand the mis handling involved in pulling back.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:08 AM
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
Thanks for all the help so far guys. It's begining to sound like the towing of a line out to encircle the dead boat is the best option. A fly line might be a good choice for the first part of the line as it is supposed to float. A couple of our enterprising members are constucting a scratch build power boat now with the idea of experimenting on rescue techniques. Please keep the ideas flowing!
Thanks again,
Phil
Laguna Lake Model Yacht Club
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:25 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Phil,
is this the view (looking West from the far (top) side) in your pic above?
Pretty Big Lake. How many local sailors are in your club up there? just curious..
JimS
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:34 AM
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
Hi Jim,
Yes that is a photo of our lake we sail at the place where the yellow line is shown. Our marks are on the lake all the time. We race Tue & Thur mornings and have about 13 members in our club right now. Anyone is welcome to come and give the CR914 our club boat a try.
Also on May 14th we are holding the Western Region 6 championships and some of your fellow sailors from down there in SD are comming up to compete.
Phil