HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:49 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
Yea around 140mm from the leading edge at the fuse is where mine seems to balance right. If anything it would be nose heavy which will make it easier to land. Tail heavy tip stalling mess that I would avoid.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
142.5mm from the leading edge of the wing? I'm trying to finalize where I'm going to put everything and check the CG but not 100% were CG should be on the 71" gas. I'm planning on putting the Rx battery towards the rear past the plate where the Rx will go. Where is everyone mounting there ignition battery? Had it up front on the right side of the motor box but might move it to the rear with Rx battery. Want to get the plane completed this week. My oil should be in this week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm running two batterys... have one on a plate over where the interior rudder servo would go and one on a plate up in the turtledeck.... elevator and rudder servos in the tail.

i put long leads on my batterys so i could move them around to fine tune the flight characteristics after getting used to the plane.... both batterys up under the turtledeck was slightly tailheavy... (great for 3D) and both batterys on the tray behind the RX was slightly nose heavy.... i think you can safely get away with running both batterys on that one plate for starters.

make sure you put locktite on everything that is metal to metal connection (every bolt on the engine including mounting bolts) and balance your propellor.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
What to use to balance this plane?

I'm running the rudder servo in the tail. I'll plan on mounting both ignition and Rx battery on the plate towards the rear after the plate to mount the rudder. I think this will leave me a little nose heavy. How/what ate you guys using to balance this plane? I've never balanced a plane this size. Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:56 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
I tried balancing by hand but this thing is too big in my opinion to be balanced by hand. I purchased a ezbalancer lite to balance the plane. It shows it way nose heavy at the stock balance given in the book. I think that the best thing to do is get it close but nose heavy and do the inverted CG test to tweak
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:00 AM
SMOOOOKKKKKKEEEE
USA, IN, Avon
Joined Aug 2007
164 Posts
I balance mine with a slightly forward of the wing tube. I can pick the plane up by the former directly in front of the wing tube. I haven't checked it since I installed a bigger tank but it still close.
The Real Monson is offline Find More Posts by The Real Monson
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
EZ Balancer lite

Wow $85 plus shipping and handling..That's a bit expensive but I want to setup my plane as best as possible so an investment in a good CG balancer is worth it. Thanks for the info. Ordering one now!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Just fly the plane j/k But seriously... 3dhs planes do not need this level of pre-maiden cg balancing. Get it close, check CG in the air and make adjustments afterward.

I do have a plywood plate over the pull/pull rudder servo mount where both my ignition and rx batteries are placed one on top of the other.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
SMOOOOKKKKKKEEEE
USA, IN, Avon
Joined Aug 2007
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Just fly the plane j/k But seriously... 3dhs planes do not need this level of pre-maiden cg balancing. Get it close, check CG in the air and make adjustments afterward.

I do have a plywood plate over the pull/pull rudder servo mount where both my ignition and rx batteries are placed one on top of the other.
That's what I did. I have enough room on the plate to move the batteries so that I have a little bit of adjustment in the cg. DLE 30 up front with the rudder servo in the tail. I just flew it then adjusted the batteries till I found what I liked. 3DHS planes have a very tolerant cg range. Just fly and adjust to your liking.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Just fly the plane j/k
That's the plan hopefully this weekend or at least get it fired-up for the first time and set the high and low needles. Like the idea of stacking the Rx and IG packs on top of one another. I was going to try to place them side by side.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
I balanced mine according to the manual. I have to say it was correct. I have both the ignition battery small 1500 4.8 and the 2500 6.0 v side by side on a plate I made just under the canopy latch. By the way, my canopy flew off 4:00 into the first flight and I know it was properly latched because the pin protruded all the way through I was worried about that from other posts. So I retrieved it and installed 2 screws, but my hatch is beat up now. It landed very nice with this CG in the manual and floated right in, no issues and it was pretty nuetral inverted just had to push a small amount so I think I will leave CG as is.

Plane did not have a comfortable feel to me, however, it seemed to "walk around" on its own a lot and didnt hold nice lines seemed to be "jerky". Granted it was windy, but I was flying my Funtana and that is similar size and weight and seemed much smoother and stable in the wind than the AJ Slick. Also, it was very slow compared to my Funtana which is only a 20cc. I am using a 20-6 prop, perhaps the prop is too large diameter and I should try a 18-10 or 19-8? Any tips on prop sizes, I prefer wood props.

Hooliganpilot
hooliganpilot is offline Find More Posts by hooliganpilot
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:22 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganpilot View Post
I balanced mine according to the manual. I have to say it was correct. I have both the ignition battery small 1500 4.8 and the 2500 6.0 v side by side on a plate I made just under the canopy latch. By the way, my canopy flew off 4:00 into the first flight and I know it was properly latched because the pin protruded all the way through I was worried about that from other posts. So I retrieved it and installed 2 screws, but my hatch is beat up now. It landed very nice with this CG in the manual and floated right in, no issues and it was pretty nuetral inverted just had to push a small amount so I think I will leave CG as is.

Plane did not have a comfortable feel to me, however, it seemed to "walk around" on its own a lot and didnt hold nice lines seemed to be "jerky". Granted it was windy, but I was flying my Funtana and that is similar size and weight and seemed much smoother and stable in the wind than the AJ Slick. Also, it was very slow compared to my Funtana which is only a 20cc. I am using a 20-6 prop, perhaps the prop is too large diameter and I should try a 18-10 or 19-8? Any tips on prop sizes, I prefer wood props.

Hooliganpilot
Hmm... what motor and prop are you using now? As for the plane's tendency to "Walk around" I'd say there is a problem somewhere in your setup. Check to make sure there is no play in your rudder. I had an issue with mine chewing up the splines in the servo-arm creating play. If you have a similar issue you would get some abnormal flight characteristics. I know I did. Once I replaced it with an aluminum arm I have had zero issues. Without flying your funtana I can't comment much on the difference between them. I will say this though... while the slick is fairly precise it is not a precision flyer like some other planes. Each one has it's own habits. As for speed... That is not one of the main metrics I judge a 3d plane by.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:16 PM
SMOOOOKKKKKKEEEE
USA, IN, Avon
Joined Aug 2007
164 Posts
Quote:

Hooliganpilot
A 20x6 doesn't have the top end speed but is great for low and slow 3d. I have tried 18x6, 19x8, 20x6, and 20x8 and prefer the 18x6. It spools up quickly and doesn't load my DLE30 like the 20x6. The 19x8 had more top speed and could really get the plane moving for a 3d plane. Really great for high energy stuff. I haven't tried a 18x10.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:12 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
try the 19x8 its a great all around prop
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:30 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
That's funny that is what the guys at the field said about my flight that it seemed jerky and all over the place. I was nervous as hell but I did increase my expo a tad.

Quote:

Hooliganpilot
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Just a heads up here for everyone to loctite everything they can on their gasser slicks.

Yesterday my brother was flying and his sweet running OS gt33 had an unexpected flameout .....Luckily he had some altitude and was able to bring the plane in for a nice deadstick landing ..... we were kind of surprised what had happened.

the 4 bolts that hold the backplate onto the engine case had vibrated loose and allowed the front of the engine to pull over the sealing o ring= instant flameout!

i immediately pulled my cowl and checked mine .... they were all tight but
i removed and threadlocked them anyway....didnt see any sign of threadlock on them from the factory though.

i would hate for someone to lose a plane because they didnt threadlock something.. the only real way to know a bolt is threadlocked is to put some on them personally.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410