Grounded sux!
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:53 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
What is the best way to set these big beasts up for approach? It just wants to sail past the runway?
Also does any one have an 8fg with a throttle curve setup?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:16 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,199 Posts
I like to take an aggressive leg to base approach and as I turn in toward the beginning of the landing, drop in hot. I like to set the landing gear down right infront of me.

Flyracer
flyracer is online now Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:24 AM
United States, GA, Fayetteville
Joined Mar 2010
8 Posts
Question 1

I have read a HUGE portion of this entire thread and am really considering getting this Slick. For all of you with the engine experience...what's the verdict on the best engine to use. I know that can be tricky to answer, but I am asking it anyway.

Based on everything I have read in this thread and elsewhere, The only engines I am considering right now are these...and in this order.

1. OS GT33
2. Mintor 33
3. Mintor 38
4. DLE 35RA

Is the Mintor 38 too overpowered and too heavy? Is it worth that slightly extra weight? I notice there are already nose heavy tendencies and am concerned any amount of additional nose weight is a problem.

The reason the OS is first in line is main due to everyone saying just how easy it is and how well it runs. Might be less powerful...but ease of use and throttle response is very important to me.

What do you guys think?

Question 2

Is there a better manual anywhere. I have been out of planes for about 5 years. Been flying large helis and electric helis. My skills are rusty and was wondering if there are more detailed instructions out there anywhere. This entire thing is a very big learning experience.
Rototerrier is offline Find More Posts by Rototerrier
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I sure like the DLE 35
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
dle35 ,all the way
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Mar 2010
8 Posts
Any particular reason? Throttle Response? Performance?

Or just because the price is good?

I really don't want to get an engine just because of price. I really want the best balanced, performing, reliable engine for this particular airframe.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:47 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I have the DLE 30. It's a really reliable strong running engine that I should be able to get parts for for many years to come.
Now while it's not the 35 with the single bolt conversion and a APC 18/6 I getting 20 and 1/2 lbs of thrust at 8990 on the ground.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
What is the best way to set these big beasts up for approach? It just wants to sail past the runway?
Also does any one have an 8fg with a throttle curve setup?
Mine was sailing too if I didn't have the benefit of a head wind.

I programmed in two throttle curves on my DX8 and can switch between them with my F-Mode switch. The curves are identical except for the low point (at zero throttle). My "regular" curve has the throttle at 1 or 2%, and the "landing" curve has the throttle at 0%. Engine still idles on my landing curve while in the air and slows down the prop enough to help the plane slow down better. Once on the ground it will barely idle and usually die so I just flip the switch back for taxi.

Don't know if that is "the preferred method", but it works for me.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:12 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rototerrier View Post
Question 1

I have read a HUGE portion of this entire thread and am really considering getting this Slick. For all of you with the engine experience...what's the verdict on the best engine to use. I know that can be tricky to answer, but I am asking it anyway.

Based on everything I have read in this thread and elsewhere, The only engines I am considering right now are these...and in this order.

1. OS GT33
2. Mintor 33
3. Mintor 38
4. DLE 35RA

Is the Mintor 38 too overpowered and too heavy? Is it worth that slightly extra weight? I notice there are already nose heavy tendencies and am concerned any amount of additional nose weight is a problem.

The reason the OS is first in line is main due to everyone saying just how easy it is and how well it runs. Might be less powerful...but ease of use and throttle response is very important to me.

What do you guys think?

Question 2

Is there a better manual anywhere. I have been out of planes for about 5 years. Been flying large helis and electric helis. My skills are rusty and was wondering if there are more detailed instructions out there anywhere. This entire thing is a very big learning experience.
I have only owned the GT33 and I like it a lot. Haven't owned any of the others so I don't know which one I would like best! But the GT33 is treating me fine.

There are some build videos on this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102219

Me being a newbie, I documented some of the "holes" left by the other resources. It's not done yet and subject to revision at this point, but you can take it for what it is worth:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704409

It's really not a difficult build at all. Just take your time with it and have fun in the process!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Mar 2010
8 Posts
Well, after a lot of further considering, I think I am going to go with the Aeroworks 30cc Edge 540
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:13 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rototerrier View Post
Well, after a lot of further considering, I think I am going to go with the Aeroworks 30cc Edge 540
Any particular reason? I have a number of 30cc planes and the 71 Slick is in a class of it's own. Don't get me wrong as a friend just did up a AW 260 Freestyle 30cc and it looks awesome. It was lighter than the gasser slick I have. Just curious.
Enterprise7 is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Mar 2010
8 Posts
Higher quality hardware. It might be a little heavier, but I doubt I will notice.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:38 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
AW planes are also great flying planes and a little more durable than the 3dhs planes,balsa a little thicker and doesn't crack when trying to hold on to it when the wind blows during setup at the field good luck with which ever plane you choose,many choices today just pick one and go fly
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutz View Post
AW planes are also great flying planes and a little more durable than the 3dhs planes,balsa a little thicker and doesn't crack when trying to hold on to it when the wind blows during setup at the field good luck with which ever plane you choose,many choices today just pick one and go fly
Yea, that was another consideration. I just wanted something more durable.

I just placed the order for the AW Edge with a new DLE 35RA. Maybe once I get back into the swing of things, I will try the Slick.