HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
By not work you mean because of the single bolt MOUNT?

because the spinner back plates dont catch the knurling on the OS prop adapter like the wooden prop does..... i got tired of the prop/spinner slipping no matter how tight everything was.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:09 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Maybe a picture will help. On the left is the back side of my used Extreme Flight spinner back plate. You can see where the knurls in the drive spacer slipped on it and made it shiny. Right back plate is a new one.

I still think it would be possible to "rough it up" a little and make it work. just not exactly sure the best way to do it.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:17 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
Maybe a picture will help. On the left is the back side of my used Extreme Flight spinner back plate. You can see where the knurls in the drive spacer slipped on it and made it shiny. Right back plate is a new one.

I still think it would be possible to "rough it up" a little and make it work. just not exactly sure the best way to do it.
The Great Planes spinners have knurling on the back of them, at least the spinners with aluminum back plates do...I just put one on my 65" Vyper.

one like this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEBE9&P=ML
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:23 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,901 Posts
I must not be tightening it enough as that is the great planes one I have and it spun.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Somehow, the rest of my break in gas is all gone! I think it vaporized into thin air!!!

Got 7 more flights in this afternoon. PERFECT day to fly. Mostly sunny and hardly a breath of wind.

I fattened up the low speed needle just a tad. It does 4 cycle now (again). Low throttle inverted passes and no indication that it was going to die or anything like that, so I'm pretty convinced I've got something leaning it out (too much) when inverted.

Next time out I'll have some full synthetic oil in it mixed 50:1. I'll play with the needles a little more and see what happens.

I see that one of the recommended props in the manual is a 20x8 (!!!). That seems like a lot of prop! I'm thinking a 20x6 is going to be the hot ticket, but I guess I won't know till I try it. Time to buy some more props!

Kerwin... It's about time for us to hook up and throw our Slicks in the air! Do you know of a good place to go halfway between us?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:29 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
The Great Planes spinners have knurling on the back of them, at least the spinners with aluminum back plates do...I just put one on my 65" Vyper.

one like this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEBE9&P=ML
That is the exact spinner I was just looking at. But they don't have any pictures of the backplate nor do they make any mention of knurling. If you say they got some knurl then I'll order em up and give 'em a go!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,132 Posts
Quote:
That is the exact spinner I was just looking at. But they don't have any pictures of the backplate nor do they make any mention of knurling. If you say they got some knurl then I'll order em up and give 'em a go!
I will take mine off the Vyper and take a pic tonight and post it.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:55 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,901 Posts
PM me your address and I'll send you my red one.

Quote:
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Dec 2006
405 Posts
If you like to fly faster the vess 20A is a nice prop.... if you like to fly slower i like a 20x6
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:44 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
PM me your address and I'll send you my red one.
Thank you (sincerely) for the offer. That sounds like a lot of work on your part for an $11 part that I can get easily!

So you said earlier that you might have not had it tight enough. You don't want to try again with it tighter this time?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:56 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
If you like to fly faster the vess 20A is a nice prop.... if you like to fly slower i like a 20x6
I would have thought that a Vess 20A was roughly equivalent to a standard 20x6. I want to fly slower. Would rather have the punch/thrust. Wouldn't a Vess 20A or a 20x6 fly slower and have more punch than an 18x8 or 19x8?

I noticed something today... Now that the spinner back plate isn't on the plane anymore, I can clearly see that the hole in that ProTek prop is not centered. I don't know if it was off center from the factory or not. You had said that you didn't need to drill this prop out to fit the shaft on my OS, but I did have to drill the one out that I got. I drilled it out stepping one numbered bit at a time till I got it to fit the shaft. I wonder if my drilling made it off center.

I thought she was vibrating a bit much. I think I now know why!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:31 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,901 Posts
Last edited by going4speed; Aug 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:31 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,640 Posts
My slick flew nice today on the PTE 36cc. We got two flights and the smoke is coming along.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Dec 2006
405 Posts
Quote:
I would have thought that a Vess 20A was roughly equivalent to a standard 20x6. I want to fly slower. Would rather have the punch/thrust. Wouldn't a Vess 20A or a 20x6 fly slower and have more punch than an 18x8 or 19x8?
!
you would think that but the Vess is not a true 20x6.... back to back flights with both props and the vess definitely flies faster than the 20x6 on both my planes and my brothers slick also.... the planes slow down much better with the 20x6.

i would recommend trying both though to see which one you like the best.

the protek props i got didnt need to be drilled.... thats strange that yours did.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,461 Posts
KTM I'm thinking hodge park. it's the home of the Northern Knights.
I'm using an APC 18/6W on my DLE 30 single bolt conversion.
It makes a good 20lbs plus static thrust.
What static thrust are some of you guys getting.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50