HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
SMOOOOKKKKKKEEEE
USA, IN, Avon
Joined Aug 2007
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Are there any carbon spinners that dont require cutting to clear the prop?
3DHD carries a 3" carbon spinner that is cut for up to a 20" prop for $58. The back plate is 10mm so if your using the gt33 you'll need a spacer.
The Real Monson is offline Find More Posts by The Real Monson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:33 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Good deal thanks....ordered using some redeemed points

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Monson View Post
3DHD carries a 3" carbon spinner that is cut for up to a 20" prop for $58. The back plate is 10mm so if your using the gt33 you'll need a spacer.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:05 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Day 2 of flying went great! 8 more flights! Still haven't killed the first gallon of gas yet...

I added just a tiny smidge of rudder to aileron and rudder to elevator mixing and she will fly KE almost hands off! Really smooth and fun to fly!!!

Started to lean her out so she wasn't 4 cycling. Noticed on my last flight that if I am flying horizontal and inverted at a lower throttle setting it seems like she leans out and wants to die. If I am climbing inverted, don't have that problem. I'm wondering if I didn't go too lean, but if I make it any richer, then it will start 4 cycling again.

I noticed this earlier, that when flying inverted she seemed to lean out a little and stop 4 cycling. Now that I have her leaned out a little more, she wants to die. Not exactly sure what the deal is or if it is normal...

This OS makes so much power and this thing flies so fast!!! I'm really thinking I'm going to want a 20x6 as opposed to a 19x8 after break-in...

The forecasted winds for today (as of last night) were 6mph. It was blowing 10+ with gusts to over 20. Was nice to not even care! Tomorrow is supposed to be really nice again. I might have to bail out in the afternoon for a few hours and see if I can't finish off the gallon of break in fuel.

I was the smallest plane at the field today (by far). 2 other guys out there that fly IMAC. One of them has a 118" CARF Extra on a DA150 (man that is a sweeeeet looking plane). The other has a Thunder Tiger 122" on a 3W 170. Both of them commented on how well the Slick flew. I let the guy with the Thunder Tiger take a pull on my Slick and I think he was fairly impressed. He goes, (incredulously) "You haven't added in any mixing yet?"
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:09 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,198 Posts
I haven't had to add any mixing to mine yet either but I'm still kinda getting the hang of the plane. Maybe when I'm a little more adjusted to it I'll add some.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:48 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Did some more tuning on the os gt33 today. This thing is nuts on power!!!! Got the idle at around 1650-1700 rpm and it sounds like a mini v8!!! Left it a little fatter than I would like up the top end but that's good for the break-in cycles. Oh and also dropped the woodruff key in the grass...sunova
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
That woodruff key is a slippery little bastard isn't it!

I failed to mention that the second spinner broke today. Same way as the last one. Not sure why... Maybe those Extreme Flight spinners from 3DHS are only meant for electrics.

I also had my prop slip on the shaft today... Actually, the prop didn't slip, the backplate did. The aluminum backplate on those spinners are smooth on the back. That part will slip on the knurled drive spacer on the OS. Need to find a spinner that has a knurled backplate...

(I had that thing on there TIGHT... I don't think the cause is cause I didn't have it tight enough or that the wood prop started to squish... It was very tight...)
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:53 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Yea I am going to loctite the next woodruff key in but also have spares.

I noticed my spinner slipped today as well. I am using a great planes spinner that I had to cut out the prop areas on. When I stopped tuning today I could see it spun enough for the prop to dig into the recess on one side. Ordered a Omega 3" as a replacement for when a put the 20x8 on the motor once its broken in.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:20 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
You maynot have enough air exaust, thereby building up pressure inside the cowl. This will cause your engine to change the fuel mixture.
You may try opening the bottom of your cowl or run a static port
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:24 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,199 Posts
My slick took a hard knock today... did several tumbles back to back and must have shook loose the ignition battery enought to pull the leads out of the plastic plug/connector. I was maybe 20 feet off the deck as she was coming out of the last tumble.... no air speed and not enough attitude to gain glide speed... I did manage to put her down mostly on the landing gear... snapped the wing tube clean in two. She's repairable... just gonna take a little time.

All part of the fun I guess... I'd been getting progressively more aggressive with my flying. Just need to make sure everything is double buckled!

Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:23 AM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Are there any carbon spinners that dont require cutting to clear the prop?
the way the OS is set up ...none of the spinners will work out of the box......I'm sure a good engraver could match the knurling on the spinner backplates to the OS pattern....but i bet they wont do it for free...... my brother is having the same issues with the prop/backplate slipping....personally i just dont run a spinner.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Last edited by racerman27410; Aug 20, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
You maynot have enough air exaust, thereby building up pressure inside the cowl. This will cause your engine to change the fuel mixture.
+1 on this..... i made louvers for the bottom vent opening on both my planes.......they draw out the heat and excess air pressure from the engine cowl..... you can feeling it drawing the heat out on the ground with just the propwash so i know it works great in the air.

racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Last edited by racerman27410; Aug 20, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:31 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Interesting........

So this would be more evident at lower throttle than at higher throttle?

What about the fact that I noticed that it was leaning out when inverted yesterday when I was NOT running it with the cowling on?

What is a static port exactly? Does that mean you point your vent tube into the wind??? Hehe, I have no clue... I'll do some searching...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:31 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
By not work you mean because of the single bolt MOUNT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
the 3" CF spinner from 3DHS is precut and good quality but the way the OS is setup really none of the spinner will work out of the box......I'm sure a good engraver could match the knurling on the spinner backplates.... my brother is having the same issues....personally i just dont run a spinner (or wheel pants)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:50 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
My slick took a hard knock today... did several tumbles back to back and must have shook loose the ignition battery enought to pull the leads out of the plastic plug/connector. I was maybe 20 feet off the deck as she was coming out of the last tumble.... no air speed and not enough attitude to gain glide speed... I did manage to put her down mostly on the landing gear... snapped the wing tube clean in two. She's repairable... just gonna take a little time.

All part of the fun I guess... I'd been getting progressively more aggressive with my flying. Just need to make sure everything is double buckled!

Flyracer
OUCH! Hope your repairs go well!

After my battery tray let loose on day one, I went through and made sure the new setup is rock solid. Hope I don't have any batteries flying around inside the fuse ever again!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
If you had the cowl off and it was doing it when going inverted Then either she is not tuned correctly or your pop off spring in your carb is not adjusted right
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50