HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:32 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,960 Posts
Man was RCG down half the day for anyone else? I left as quick as I could this morning so I never got on and then I was deprived of giving a flight report until now....

The PTE ran amazing. I put two 10-15 min flights on my slick and toward the end of each flight I did some pretty hard 3d moves to see if I could get my motor to cut out again. I really think the issue has been resolved by fixing the fuel line and that makes me really happy. So glad that got noticed ON THE GROUND.

The smoke didn't really work out for some reason. I'm going to have to pull the tank and see what is wrong with it. I think I may have a clunk issue or I plumbed it backwards or something. This really sux because it is a PITA to get that tank in and out. I could get good smoke on the ground and basically nothing in the air and it looks like there is still oil in the tank when the pump is no longer primed. I may be able to figure it out before pulling the tank but and believe me I'll try to get it figured out that way because I really don't want to pull it.

My friend did get some vids. I'll get a hold of them as soon as I can to post but it may be a few days. There is nothing amazing in them though. There is the odd pop top, KE spin and harrier rolling but everything is up high and it is mostly just flying lines back and forth. Since I crashed I am taking it really easy with this plane. It may be quite a few flights before I start huckin it hard. I want to have a whole bunch of time on the motor where it runs perfect.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:02 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
Put the cowl on today and found I measured wrong for my standoffs....dammit!

Ordered another set from Cmala. Ordered more 7955 screws because 4 have walked off. This bird is testing my patience.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Jun 2004
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Put the cowl on today and found I measured wrong for my standoffs....dammit!

Ordered another set from Cmala. Ordered more 7955 screws because 4 have walked off. This bird is testing my patience.
you talking about hitec metal gear servo screws? I had this problem alot and found the screws at micro fasteners and have replace the soft phillips head with allen head since and no more problems
bdboy007 is offline Find More Posts by bdboy007
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Jun 2004
160 Posts
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...cts/METSCM.cfm

m2.6 x 8 mm are the ones
bdboy007 is offline Find More Posts by bdboy007
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
Lost four of the mounting screws and all the servo arms..then stripped out one of the other servo mounting screws...just a challenging weekend.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:39 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,960 Posts
Guys I have finally normed on what I think it takes to keep a gasser up and running. Go over EVERYTHING between every flight. Make sure control surfaces don't have any play (I had to replace a servo arm last night on my rudder. It would have failed today for sure) touch each servo arm screw with your screwdriver and make sure they are tight. Make sure all linkages are in good shape. Check the wing bolts, make sure all your wiring is in good shape. The list goes on and on. Then when I get home I take my cowl off and make sure everything is good. Tonight I found that my muffler had rattled loose despite the loctite I put on it. Wouldn't have noticed it with the cowl on.

I'm probly preaching to the choir but my recent experience is burning bright in my mind so I figured I'd serve as a reminder tonight.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:40 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Man was RCG down half the day for anyone else? I left as quick as I could this morning so I never got on and then I was deprived of giving a flight report until now....

The PTE ran amazing. I put two 10-15 min flights on my slick and toward the end of each flight I did some pretty hard 3d moves to see if I could get my motor to cut out again. I really think the issue has been resolved by fixing the fuel line and that makes me really happy. So glad that got noticed ON THE GROUND.

The smoke didn't really work out for some reason. I'm going to have to pull the tank and see what is wrong with it. I think I may have a clunk issue or I plumbed it backwards or something. This really sux because it is a PITA to get that tank in and out. I could get good smoke on the ground and basically nothing in the air and it looks like there is still oil in the tank when the pump is no longer primed. I may be able to figure it out before pulling the tank but and believe me I'll try to get it figured out that way because I really don't want to pull it.

My friend did get some vids. I'll get a hold of them as soon as I can to post but it may be a few days. There is nothing amazing in them though. There is the odd pop top, KE spin and harrier rolling but everything is up high and it is mostly just flying lines back and forth. Since I crashed I am taking it really easy with this plane. It may be quite a few flights before I start huckin it hard. I want to have a whole bunch of time on the motor where it runs perfect.
Glad you got some successful flights in! Sounds like you found the problem! I know for sure I'll be flying my Slick up pretty high for a while till I'm confident with how everything is working!

My Hyperion servos came in today, and excitement changed to disappointment in a hurry. Hooked up the rudder first, and it was violently jittering at any place in the travel. I thought no big deal, I'll hook up the programmer and play with the deadband adjustment a little. That had some challenges in itself. Evidently the USB port on my netbook and my laptop don't have enough juice to power the servos, so i had to butcher a servo extension so I could power the servo off a LiPo. Once I did that then I was able to connect to the servo and program it. Didn't matter where I put the deadband adjustment, they were still jittering all over the place. Then I thought I would drop the voltage to the servos and see what happened. So I pulled out a 6v BEC and hooked it up. Better, but it would still go crazy around center. I went ahead and hooked up another servo to the elevator to see if I had the same problem there, and yup, its there. You can get them to stop jittering by manually damping them with your finger (very lightly). But once you move them again they go right back to the jittering.

I really like the Hyperion servos I have in my T-Rex. They work great. But these HV servos don't appear to like high voltage at all.

At this point I have no interest in "experimenting" with any other servo. So it looks like it will be Hitec servos for me. And no maiden on this weekend!!!!! Grrr!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:43 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,960 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the jitter at center. I have several digitals that do that and they work great in the air. When they are at center with no resistance they are hunting for the center spot. Maybe just run them at 6v. But, if they really make you uncomfortable send them back.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:09 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I wouldn't worry about the jitter at center. I have several digitals that do that and they work great in the air. When they are at center with no resistance they are hunting for the center spot. Maybe just run them at 6v. But, if they really make you uncomfortable send them back.
Ya I know what you are saying... But this ain't a "gentle" jitter, its violent.

The whole reason I bought high voltage servos is so I wouldn't need a regulator (another point of failure). And I'm not really interested in buying some NiMH packs so I can get the voltage down, nor do I really want so sacrifice the speed and torque with the lower voltage.

It's really not that much difference in price at this point. toddsmodels.com has the HS-7954SH for about $77. So for another $120 I can get those. Figure the Hyperion will work fine on the throttle, so I only need to replace 4 of them.

If I would have been working today instead of messing around with jittering servos, I could have easily made enough money to pay for the difference to get the Hitecs.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:12 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,960 Posts
If it was me I'd want the best servo on the throttle. You don't want that jittering around for sure lol. The nice thing though is you ought to have a spring on the throttle always holding some pressure against it.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:26 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
I don't think it will be an issue on the throttle (yes the OS has a spring on the carb). You get these large and light control surfaces on a servo and I can see how it messes with the controller's ability to find center. It's like the system just needs a little damping and everything is fine. I'm pretty sure that once it was in the air that damping would be provided... But on the ground it is just obnoxious, and it gets the servos pretty warm!

I was pretty bummed earlier in the day but I'm getting over it. I bet a beer out of the fridge would make me feel better. I could also get out some of my nite foamies and fly in the front yard, but it keeps sprinkling on and off. Need to check the radar...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
For a digital the HS-5665 has no jitter yet
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:39 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
For a digital the HS-5665 has no jitter yet
Hey that is a pretty good looking offering. I didn't realize that one was HV for some reason. 3DHS calls for at least 100 oz-in of torque on this plane and these servos are over that at about 140. Not blazing fast, but they have a very reasonable price tag (I'm seeing them for about $45). I wonder why it's not a "recommended" servo on the 3DHS site... Regardless, that looks like a nice option. I'll have to ponder it for a bit!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:51 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
It is crazy cheap....wonder why?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:06 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
It is crazy cheap....wonder why?
I've been doing a little researching in the 3DHS threads (you can't believe everything you read on the interweb, but I'll trust guys with 3DHS planes more than the average joe. )

The only thing I can really see is that they don't have the coreless motor. I've seen a few (probably very discerning) folks mention that they don't center as well as the more expensive Hitecs. The more expensive servos also have over twice the torque and are probably meant for a plane that is bigger than this li'l 71" er.

I'm tempted to "experiment" again and try them out. If they don't jitter violently then they will be WAY better than the Hyperions.