HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:21 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Really it's not so much the switch as the wire size. The current draw on a switch when turning on an off is very low.
And thats where they are rating them at, but once on those smaller switches will handle 10 to 20 amps no problem.
But the wire size is another story.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:43 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
Another issue is with the connectors. The servo type connectors are only rated for 3 amps. I put two switches in my 70" for the servos because I knew my digital servos would pull more than that. So far so good
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:07 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
I'm going to replace the power in to the switch with a JST connector. Then on the output I am going to "Y" it off and put two of the servo style connectors on there to plug in to the RX. Hopefully that will be enough!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:33 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to go shopping again... I thought I had all the hardware I needed to do the throttle linkage but I don't. I'll probably buy a a couple of different options worth so I don't have to make a second trip. Not really sure what I want to do, and probably won't know till I have the servo in hand to feel it out.

Got my tank all plumbed. Haven't mounted it yet cause I think it will be in the way while I'm trying to get the throttle servo installed.

For the fuel fill line, there is only about an inch of clearance behind the switch/fuel dot where I mounted it at. It doesn't feel like that is enough for easy ingress/egress of the fuel filler line, so I put a hole in the canister tunnel and will run the fill line through there.

Started to make a template for the cowling cutouts. Don't want to run a dremel cutting tool this late at night cause I might wake up the girls, so I think I'm going to call it a night.

As impatient as I was for servos to come back in stock, I'm now wondering if that was warranted... Still have a lot to do and I hope I can get it all done before the servos get here!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:09 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post

As impatient as I was for servos to come back in stock, I'm now wondering if that was warranted... Still have a lot to do and I hope I can get it all done before the servos get here!
I know what you mean..so many little things eat up so much time during a build.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:04 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
No doubt!!!

Hey how far into the canister tunnel are you guys adding some epoxy for fuel proofing? I went in a couple of inches but wondering if that is an area that really needs it...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:13 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
I did everything I could reach. But... I have a smoke system tank and pump in there
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
I did about the same but have been contemplating cutting out the bottom and going further. I have not installed the vented cover on the bottom as I thought that was only for use with a canister..I might be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
No doubt!!!

Hey how far into the canister tunnel are you guys adding some epoxy for fuel proofing? I went in a couple of inches but wondering if that is an area that really needs it...
going4speed is online now Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:39 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
I cut out the slots on the vent cover and installed it. I did not open up the opening behind that. Not sure that it is needed and I didn't want to open up a big gaping hole unless I was more sure it was needed!

If I were running a smoke system, I would think I would coat that whole thing for sure!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
I am getting closer and closer to being done assembling the 70" slick. It is taking me forever! Lots of learning along the way but man there is a ton of stuff that goes into a gasser..yea I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

Just put together the push rod for the elevator and a little nervous about the amount of thread engagement so put a dab of thick CA on the interface of rod to end link.

Next thing to do is install the rudder and elevator push rods.
Cut out the slots in the bottom cover of the fuse.
Install the servos and push rods for the two wings.
Then I'm waiting on flight pack and switch.

going4speed is online now Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:47 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
I'm all geared up to fly my 70" tomorrow. I worked on the smoke system tonight and got a really excellent tune. In the process I discovered what looks to have been an intermittent air leak in the fuel hose. Air was getting in at an in-line filter joint and caused my engine to cut out on the ground today. My buddy noticed all the air bubbles when we got it started again. We sealed it up better and the air bubbles went away. I am now almost completely positive that is what killed my engine in flight that caused my crash. It had nothing to do with the PTE at all.

In other news I had to repair the joiner on my elevator tonight as well. I noticed one side was moving quite a bit in the prop wash when it was deflected. I went and tested it with my hand and found the joiner was cracked. I wicked some thin CA into the crack and added a music wire joiner that I epoxied in place. It is nice and stiff again and inspires a lot more confidence.

One more thing... the smoke is awesome we put a board under the pitts muffler and found it was spitting out smoke oil all the way down to 2% on my smoke pump. This thing will spit out a crap ton of oil. I think you could use it on full scale lol.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:43 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I'm all geared up to fly my 70" tomorrow. I worked on the smoke system tonight and got a really excellent tune. In the process I discovered what looks to have been an intermittent air leak in the fuel hose. Air was getting in at an in-line filter joint and caused my engine to cut out on the ground today. My buddy noticed all the air bubbles when we got it started again. We sealed it up better and the air bubbles went away. I am now almost completely positive that is what killed my engine in flight that caused my crash. It had nothing to do with the PTE at all.

In other news I had to repair the joiner on my elevator tonight as well. I noticed one side was moving quite a bit in the prop wash when it was deflected. I went and tested it with my hand and found the joiner was cracked. I wicked some thin CA into the crack and added a music wire joiner that I epoxied in place. It is nice and stiff again and inspires a lot more confidence.

One more thing... the smoke is awesome we put a board under the pitts muffler and found it was spitting out smoke oil all the way down to 2% on my smoke pump. This thing will spit out a crap ton of oil. I think you could use it on full scale lol.
VIDEOS Nate! Love to see smoke videos!!!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:56 AM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Jun 2004
160 Posts
Quote:

What smoke system are you using my skywriter will pour smoke out under 10% emptied a 16 oz tank in a few seconds at 100%
bdboy007 is offline Find More Posts by bdboy007
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:

Dang lucky you found that air leak on the fuel system.... definitely good news and a little peace of mind on the elevator too!

Smoke is kewl!
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:25 AM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,195 Posts
for testing the fuel tank and plumbing... I found this trick by accident.

Use a plug on the vent line... then use the hand crank pump (or electric pump) to start feeding in fuel into the fuel tank.... it doesn't take much to pressurize the system this way. Look/listen for escaping air and/or fuel. Remove the vent line plug BEFORE you disconnect your pump line.

I had a similar experience where the engine would intermittently cut out... The leak was in the T and it would leak air when the engine was nearly full throttle. I used the pressure test and saw this immediately
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer